October 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

gave my DH his first ultimatum. ugh.

I'm feeling a touch guilty ladies.  I gave my husband his first ever ultimatum today. 

We have our own company.  DH does most of the acutal work but I do all the money stuff.  DH's primary customer has outstanding invoices from JANUARY that he's either not paid or made partial payments on.  I've been on DH for months about collecting on them because we were counting on the money for our house remodel and I'm getting antsy with a garage full of cupboards for a kitchen and no money to finish the rest of the project with. 

Today I told DH he has until July 1 to get the guy to pay or else I was sending it to collections and I didn't care if DH's customer was angry about it.  You don't keep people happy who don't pay up on nearly 7 month old invoices.  The guy is going to pay off at least one of the invoices which is $1200 but still owes for 2 invoices in April plus DH just finished something for him last weekend. 

The customer really does need DH's drafting skills. It is cheaper for him to pay DH by the hour than to have someone on staff and pay benefits, etc since he's a small shop.  I want DH to keep working for him because it is really REALLY good money which we can use towards our house remodel and future new car, but at the same time I'm exhausted with DH's lack of initiative to get payment for his work.  So frustrating.

Vent over.  Feeling better already.

Re: gave my DH his first ultimatum. ugh.

• Don't feel guilty.  It would need to be done whether there were cabinets sitting in your garage or not.
  • If he respects your DH...he should pay him.  Nuff said.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Not sure how your business works... but since you handle the money, can you call the guy and ask? Be like "Hi, my name is witty. I handle all the invoices for X company. I notice that you still have outstanding payments to be made. If you cannot make the full payment at this time, I would like to set up a payment schedule. What works for you? Your outstanding payments need to be paid in full by X date..."

This way, 1. it gets handled. 2. if client gets mad at anyone, it will be you, not your husband. 3. it stops fights between you and DH.

Not sure if this works in your case, just a thought. 

• image dvshaw:

"Hi, my name is witty. I handle all the invoices for X company. I notice that you still have outstanding payments to be made. If you cannot make the full payment at this time, I would like to set up a payment schedule. What works for you? Your outstanding payments need to be paid in full by X date..."

This exaclty!!!  I used to do collections, and this is pretty much how it would go.  Not out of line, totally polite, and keeps DH out of the line of fire from the non-paying company.  Let us know how it works out!

• Oh how I wish we could do that - but the customer knows that it is just DH and I so if I called and tried something like that, I don't think it'd go over well and DH would be pretty ticked at me for trying it.

I think that from this point forward, we're going to have to start doing proposals and any overages beyond the original estimate are going to have to be handled by change orders.  DH also doesn't bill him for the hours that the guy just calls him up and yacks in his ear because he isn't prepared so he's filling in the air time with random chatter until he's got his stuff together.  I haven't said anything about that one but if it was my customer (yep, I have one of those too!) I'd be billing him for that time since it is eating up cell minutes in the process!  I'm also considering instituting a 5% late charge for anything older than 30 days.  Since I do all the invoicing, I guess that can be the start of letting customer know that there's a new sherrif in town!  :)

• What sort of contract does your DH have with the guy? If you don't have a late payment clause written in already I would definitely add it to any future contracts. I've never done contract work, but one of my coworkers develops web sites on the side and has had loads of trouble collecting payment from people - and a lot of them would rather pay the late fee than pay on time! So, I guess the point is to make sure that the late fee really stings them :).

• image wittyschaffy:

Oh how I wish we could do that - but the customer knows that it is just DH and I so if I called and tried something like that, I don't think it'd go over well and DH would be pretty ticked at me for trying it.

I feel like as long as your cordial and direct, no one can be mad at you. Can the customer really be mad that you're asking for a payment that was already agreed upon? I mean, this is part of running a business. My dad has a business, my husband has a business. If people don't pay their bills, and you let it slide, the business isn't going to survive (not to be melodramatic, but revenue is important for any business). And who cares if the customer knows its just you and DH working for the company? I don't get why that would make a difference. If you, personally and company-wise, depend on the money, you have every right to ask for it. ESPECIALLY if it's already late.

Why do you think it would be an issue with 1. the client? and 2. your DH?