New Jersey Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

S/O if your water broke...

and it was a big gush, did it make a huge mess and was it easy to clean up? What about in bed? Or a public place??

Mine was just a steady trickle so I have no idea. For some reason this is bothering/worrying me lol!

Kelly<BR>
Married to Zach, 9-20-03<BR>
Mommy to Cecily Lynn, 3-19-06<BR>
and Finn William 7-27-10<BR>
<BR>
<a target="_blank" title="http://runningmamacooks.blogspot.com/" href="http://runningmamacooks.blogspot.com/">Running Mama Cooks</a>
<BR>
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2hg7gxi.jpg[/IMG]
<BR>
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/2v92k5i.jpg[/IMG]

Re: S/O if your water broke...

• I was sitting on the couch in the fetal position, watching tv (it was about 11 pm and the next day was to be my first day of maternity leave - A arrived just about a month early) and it was a gush.  It was easy to clean up off the microfiber couch.
    imageimage
  • i was laying in bed and it felt like I had to pee.  . went to use the bathroom and on my way back .  it was broke. .gushed all over the bathroom floor .  and it was fairly easy to clean up.
  • MrsDBMrsDB member
    mine didn't, but i figured if it would, chances are it'd be in bed since a big chunk of each 24 hours is spent in it. i bought a waterproof mattress pad for the bed, one that's not plasticy or anything. it made me feel so much safer lol! plus it comes in handy for bringing the baby in bed, no leaky diapers or spit up getting into my mattress.
  • Luckily min broke while i was getting off the toilet. so I got my bathroom rugs soaked. I sat on the baby's matress pads until we left and in the car. The hospital gave me a separate bag for my wet clothes and MH washed them that night for me.

• This freaks me out too, especially after realizing just how much came out after they broke it last time. so gross.  honestly I think it was the worst part of the whole pregnancy, delivery, post-partum experience.  My worst fear is having it break at work!!
  • Mine was just a little at first-TMI but I was in a meeting and thought to myself this must be that mega discharge I've read people on the nest describe before.  then I stood up to go to the bathroom and was like hmmm, I bet that is not discharge, lol.  by the time I left work about 30 mintues later I was steadily leaking-more than a trickle but not bucket loads.  By the time I got home, about 50 minutes after it initially broke I was leaking big puddles, but not continuosly but it was a large volume-in pictures from leaving the house you can see it on my shirt and pants.  When we got to the hospital I got out of the car and stood up and there was literally a puddle around me-it looked like it had rained on me and only me-I was embarressed.  I continued to really leak-I soakd through tons of towels while waiting to be admitted to L&D and my clothes, shirt and pants, were completely soaking and dripping wet.

ETA picture:  here is at home before we left for the hospital:image 

here was in hospital bathroom-a bit dark:

BFP #1: 3/28/09: DD born 12/11/09
    BFP #2: 11/16/11: M/C at 7 weeks
    BFP #3: 03/24/12: C/P 03/28/12
    BFP #4: 04/26/12: please be our baby
  • Oh and I was so paranoid I slept on crib mattress pads for weeks and carried beach towels in my trunk --- just in case.
  • This scares me too...hence the reason for my post. I guess you just have no way of knowing how it will be for you until it happens. At least I have a better idea now than I did before!

image image
  • When mine broke it was 3 am and i ran to the bathroom thinking i was peeing myself. I used a towel to keep me dry..LOL..I did make a mess at the OB's office cause i insisted i had to go there for her to check me first..LOL
    img src= width=250>

• my bedroom carpet was easily cleaned...& I had a steady strem all the way down the hall to the bathroom.  I changed 3 times with super long maxi pads when sitting in my dining room I saw the boes of pampers in the corner.  I put on a size 1, well just stick it in my underware- helped me get all the way to the hospital without leaking all over

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • With Jolie, mine broke at midnight.  I was in bed sleeping and I woke up when I felt a really strong "pop".  I wasn't sure what it was.  It felt sort of like a really strong kick from the baby.  I wasn't wet or anything at first, but then as soon as I stood up I felt a HUGE gush and everything poured out in one felt swoop.  It was what the doctors call a "gross rupture", so I wasn't leaking or dripping afterwards.  All the fluid came out in one fell swoop.  I was soaked, but it was pretty easy to clean up since it was just my underwear, pajamas and carpeting that got wet. 

Had I been in public, I probably would have been mortified because I was seriously drenched and there was a big puddle at my feet, ha ha. :)

• image MsHan:
    my bedroom carpet was easily cleaned...& I had a steady strem all the way down the hall to the bathroom.  I changed 3 times with super long maxi pads when sitting in my dining room I saw the boes of pampers in the corner.  I put on a size 1, well just stick it in my underware- helped me get all the way to the hospital without leaking all over

I love this! I'm going to have to remember that if my water breaks at home.

image image
  • I was standing up just about to sit down for dinner... literally next to the dining room table. I had on sweat pants so it all just soak into there. I don't believe it got anywhere else... I was at someone elses house and I doubt they would ever tell me if it did.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It was a huge gush!  I was able to run to the bathroom and it all went in to the toliet!  So yes, very easy to clean!!
  • I gushed 2 weeks early.  I was walking outside the house in our side yard and wearing maternity jeans.  The jeans sopped up a lot of the gush and I was outside so there was no need to clean up.
  • It didn't make a mess until I stood and walked a bit. When it happened I was lying in the couch after having slept there for the night. I felt a slight popping and that's how things got started. Once I stood up and walked all bets were off.
  • I was lying on my side in bed sleeping when it gushed.   I quickly got up and went to the bathroom when the rest of of gushed out.   It never hit the bed, just my sweatshorts I was sleeping in. 

It gushed for about 5 minutes in the bathroom, then I hopped in the shower and it was done by the time I finished showering.

• Mine was a HUGE gush and tons of mess. We're talking a huge stain on my floor(professionally cleaned) and it kept going that way even while I was out the hospital. As I was waiting for a wheel chair outside St. Barnabas, I was just gushing. It was to the point that I was standing in a puddle and passers by looked at me as though I were pissing myself. Apparently, I had lots of fluid.lol
  • I have a nice plush waterproof mattress pad on my bed for this reason. I did not wind up needing it for my waters, but -TMI- I did bleed while laboring at home and I am happy I had the pad.
  • image MrsAdrienneT:

image MsHan:
    my bedroom carpet was easily cleaned...& I had a steady strem all the way down the hall to the bathroom.  I changed 3 times with super long maxi pads when sitting in my dining room I saw the boes of pampers in the corner.  I put on a size 1, well just stick it in my underware- helped me get all the way to the hospital without leaking all over

I love this! I'm going to have to remember that if my water breaks at home.

Genius!!

• Luckily I was in the hospital but it was a big gush and then continued to come out for awhile.  I ran into the shower stall!  LOL
  • image MsHan:

LOL. I mentioned you are the pampers in the other post. Glad I got the nestie right. I swear I though this was the smartest idea I had heard. I'm hoping to remember it if it happens to me again this time.

• Mine was a big gush, but not a big mess. I was laying in bed and my water broke and gushed out. I was laying on top of the comforter so it didnt get through to the mattress. And it was clear ,so no stains.
  • My MIL was here when mine broke and she cleaned it up off the wood floor with no problem.  My pants got most of it!! 

(she works in an OB's office so she had no problem cleaning up after me!)