Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

HI Nesties Book Club Check-In

BOOK CLUBBERS...
The name of the person who chose the current book is in bold.
4forluck
Amy4773
Eclaire71
irishmilla02
kaesha
lelekay
Married2MrWright
MauiWedding08
MiniWheats
mrsdarling
redshoegirl
S&D2HI
SanHawaii08
vanceandlori

This month: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

Anyone have thoughts/comments on what you've read so far?

[Poll]

Re: HI Nesties Book Club Check-In

• Ugh I am ashamed to admit I voted the last option. Not sure if I am going to participate this book (not the book selection, just finding time to sit down and actually read!)
  • My thoughts, in no particular order...

...I didn't know that some children were fostered/re-homed for political reasons (e.g., their parents with political views that didn't mesh with the current government). Interesting...

...I like how it shows another side to Nazi Germany - the everyday people, not the enthusiasts or dissidents. Just regular people dealing with the issues of the war and the politics of the time in the best way that they can...

...Liesel can't read - interesting plot point for a book about a little girl who steals books! I suppose there's a metaphor there somewhere...

...Death has a rather dry sense of humor. Me likey. Smile

...finally, this is much better than the other book of Zusak's that I've read, The Messenger. The plot was unbelievable - the main character gets put in an incredibly insane situation and it's never explained why this particular person was chosen for a ridiculous task. Anyway, that's just my way of saying that Zusak's writing and plot development certainly matured between The Messenger and this book!

• image vanceandlori:
    Ugh I am ashamed to admit I voted the last option. Not sure if I am going to participate this book (not the book selection, just finding time to sit down and actually read!)

I am in this camp.  Sorry. Maybe I'll get myself together for the next one?

• I'm 77 pages in so I'm kind of between the first and second choices.  I now remember why I got the book and put it down and never picked it back up....the beginning was really hard for me to get through.  I don't like the commentary by Death, nor do I get it. 

Now that I'm into the story and Death isn't butting his nose in constantly, it's better, but I am not a fan of the bolded notes by him throughout.  It's an interesting way to get info to the reader and I'm hoping it will make sense in time, but for now it's a bit distracting.

Other than that I'm enjoying the story so far and read a lot yesterday.  I don't have much on my agenda today so I'll keep going.

• I voted for #3.....normally I'm a huge reader, but with desperately trying to tie up the last few days of the school year (whilst preparing my maternity leave plans for the fall), and going home to WI for the holiday weekend for my shower, I have not had even one minute to read (unfortunately I get sick if I read in the car, otherwise I'd probably be done already!).

However, I'll totally catch up this next week once school is out on Friday!  :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am caught up.  I'm kind of cheating this time and got the book on CD for my commute.  I will officially check in the evening.
  • i voted for the last option Embarrassed but the book is on hold for me at the library!  i went to go pick it up on friday so i could read over the weekend (we were out of town - again - this weekend) but then learned when i got there that my library is closed on friday Stick out tongue  so i'm going to get it today...i will catch up in time for next monday and will come back to this post when i finish the first 2 sections!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm all over this shiznit.  My thoughts are:

1. The reviews I read said it was a rough beginning but if you could get past it, it would be worth it.... they were right!  I had a hard time getting into it in the beginning but once I forced myself to get more in to it - especially with a pending deadline - I really got into it. 

2. I feel like there is more to the mayor's wife.  I know the book explains why she is so quiet/sad but for some reason I feel like there is more to come with her.

I really like this book so far.  I have some traveling coming up (I'm going back to the US - WOO HOO!!!!) so I'll probably finish the book soon. 

• image redshoegirl:

My thoughts, in no particular order...

...I didn't know that some children were fostered/re-homed for political reasons (e.g., their parents with political views that didn't mesh with the current government). Interesting...

...I like how it shows another side to Nazi Germany - the everyday people, not the enthusiasts or dissidents. Just regular people dealing with the issues of the war and the politics of the time in the best way that they can...

...Liesel can't read - interesting plot point for a book about a little girl who steals books! I suppose there's a metaphor there somewhere...

...Death has a rather dry sense of humor. Me likey. Smile

...finally, this is much better than the other book of Zusak's that I've read, The Messenger. The plot was unbelievable - the main character gets put in an incredibly insane situation and it's never explained why this particular person was chosen for a ridiculous task. Anyway, that's just my way of saying that Zusak's writing and plot development certainly matured between The Messenger and this book!

Oh... and I agree with your thoughts, Lisa... especially the points about the foster home situation and the other side of Nazi Germany. 

• I'm totally biased because this is one of the books that I used for my classes' reading lists! It's part of my Holocaust set - Number the Stars (Lois Lowery) which is about the resistance movement in Denmark and Malka (Mirjam Pressler) about a 7 year old girl who gets left behind with a family when her mother flees Germany.

Like Lisa, I love Death's commentary, not only because he's dry, but also because he's just a collector of souls rather than the big ole boogey man. I like it when traditional motifs/roles are reinvented.

• I voted that I am all over this shiznit!  I started reading as soon as the book choice was announced and it took me a week to get through the first 50 pages, I kept putting it down.  I am into now though and I don't want to stop reading. 

At first, I found Death's bolded comments annoying. Now that I am further along, I am ok with it. They are like a teaser of what's coming and makes me want to read more. I like how sentimental Death is.  He cares about the souls, he's not scary.  I also feel sorry for Death, he tries to distract himself from his job by noticing the colors around him - the colors of the world and of the souls he takes.

• All right, you can change my vote to all over this shiznit!  I am plowing through the book now - SO good!  And, yes, I'm getting better with Death's bolded comments.  ;)
  • image Amy4773:
    All right, you can change my vote to all over this shiznit!  I am plowing through the book now - SO good!  And, yes, I'm getting better with Death's bolded comments.  ;)

LOL I think they grow on you. Big Smile

• Can I also throw out that I love the use of colour here? It reminds me a bit of Schindler's List.
  • I have the book but havent started yet. I am going to finish the book I am reading right now and then will start The Book Thief.  I am baby-less so I have the time to catch up :)  I should be caught up by next check in.
  • Excuse my lack of book club knowledge, but do I keep reading at my pace or do we stop at a certain point by next week?  At this rate I'll be done with the book by next Monday!  Wink  On the flip side, I know once Todd is home for the weekend and the kids are here I won't have nearly as much quiet time to read so that'll slow me down.  Are there 'guidelines' for the pace of our reading?
  • I was wondering the same thing Amy, I am almost finished with the book, I know a lot more than I can share, and it's due back to the library soon...such problems!