Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pretty girls who smoke

It bothers me when anyone smokes, but then when I see a pretty young girl smoking it drives me batty. I always want to say something like you are too pretty to be doing this to yourself??

Re: Pretty girls who smoke

• butt out

(lol)

• I know what you mean...as a former smoker, I've really had to resist the urge to tell girls that I'm certain are in HS or early college that I've been there and I can promise they are definitely going to regret smoking later.  But I also know that at their age, if someone has said that to me it would have gone in one ear and out the other, which is why I haven't said anything yet.
  • I can't stand when anyone smokes. I think it is so disgusting.

I hate when I see a young mother smoking in her car...with every window rolled up (except hers, which is open just a crack) and there is a carseat with a baby in the back. Super Angry

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • raynesraynes member
    image Christina_Diane:

I can't stand when anyone smokes. I think it is so disgusting.

I hate when I see a young mother smoking in her car...with every window rolled up (except hers, which is open just a crack) and there is a carseat with a baby in the back. Super Angry

That's illegal here.  Which is awesome.

Smoking automatically takes off, at least, 2 "points", IMO.  That, and you smell.  Yuck.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • We were at the hospital and walked outside and there was a super pregnant woman smoking! I wanted to go up to her and yell at her and say seriously do you know what you are doing to your baby! That made me so mad. And she wasn't young either, so she's had some time to learn better. That should be illegal.
    [url=http://www.sarahbethbeauty.com/] Sarah Beth Beauty - Make-Up Artist
    [/url]
  • I totally hear you. My sister's fiancee smokes in their house/car around her (she doesn't smoke). It makes me so mad that he would disregard her health. It also makes me really mad she doesn't stick up for herself. Urgh.

Another terrible thing I do is if someone is smoking by a trail or in a park and I run by I cough extra loud. It's terrible, but with all these people trying to be healthy in the area. I mean really? You are going to smoke on a trail. Really?

image image image
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • image karebear219:

I totally hear you. My sister's fiancee smokes in their house/car around her (she doesn't smoke). It makes me so mad that he would disregard her health. It also makes me really mad she doesn't stick up for herself. Urgh.

Another terrible thing I do is if someone is smoking by a trail or in a park and I run by I cough extra loud. It's terrible, but with all these people trying to be healthy in the area. I mean really? You are going to smoke on a trail. Really?

Let it go.  Walking past a cigarette is not going to kill you.  Remember it is an addiction.  I don't smoke, but have worked with drug addicts and alcoholics that say cigarettes were hardest to quit.  Maybe some empathy?
    No Siggy

• image destination09:
    image karebear219:

I totally hear you. My sister's fiancee smokes in their house/car around her (she doesn't smoke). It makes me so mad that he would disregard her health. It also makes me really mad she doesn't stick up for herself. Urgh.

Let it go.  Walking past a cigarette is not going to kill you.  Remember it is an addiction.  I don't smoke, but have worked with drug addicts and alcoholics that say cigarettes were hardest to quit.  Maybe some empathy?

I hate it when I am running and people are smoking in the parks that I am running in. Yes it is an addiciton and it's hard to beat. Smoke at home not in a park in which people are exercising. Acutally in Seattle there is a ban on smoking in parks, however, I don't know how they will enforce it. It's hard to have empathy for a smoker, really, it is and my father smokes like a chimney and he's never tried to quit.

• image karebear219:

He's not the one disregarding her health by partaking in a perfectly legal activity inside his own home, she's the one disregarding her health by willingly staying. If she didn't want to be engaged to a smoker she never should have started dating a smoker. Butt out. You're not her mother or the health police.

Again, what they're doing is perfectly legal. And speaking as an ex-smoker, do you really think your immature, obnoxious, extra-loud coughing is going to suddenly make a smoker see the light and feel guilty and put their cigarette out and toss their pack into the nearest trash can? Do you really think you have that kind of influence over a complete stranger?

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image raynes:
    image Christina_Diane:

Smoking automatically takes off, at least, 2 "points", IMO.  That, and you smell.  Yuck.

I am not sure if it is illegal here, but we do have the "hand free" law for driving. Texting and talking on phones is illegal while driving. I also think smoking, eating in your car, and applying make up should be illegal as well.

imageimageimage
  • Well, duh- they do it b/c it keeps them skinny.  Nevermind the premature wrinkles around their mouths, yellow teeth, and black lungs...
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/2/2cq89kamz.png[/IMG][/URL]

Best Running Accomplishment

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon
  • I know. Since I live near a college, I see it all the time. But man, when they talk, they have a smoker's talk. These are the same gals who think tanning is healthy.
    TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/33c5hxy.jpg[/IMG]
  • raynesraynes member
    image Christina_Diane:

I am not sure if it is illegal here, but we do have the "hand free" law for driving. Texting and talking on phones is illegal while driving. I also think smoking, eating in your car, and applying make up should be illegal as well.

We've got the hands-free thing here too, but the smoking one is a specific, "no smoking in a car when minors are present" thingy.

Re: smoker's voice, my MIL calls it her 'sexy raspy voice'.  Not sexy, just gross.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • image Christina_Diane:
    image raynes:
    image Christina_Diane:

The reason why texting and talking on your phone is illegal is b/c there are  good studies out there to show that these things engage the same parts of your brain that are also necessary for the attention required for driving. Show me a study that does that for smoking or even eating in your car. You *might* be able to get show it with putting on make up but smoking doesn't shift your attentional focus the same way that texting especially does. 

• Banning smoking while driving would definitely increase road rage.
  • image Christina_Diane:

Why not make drinking in your car, listening to or singing along with your radio and talking to other passengers illegal too? These activities also divert your attention from the road, right?

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image zitiqueen:

image Christina_Diane:

Why not make drinking in your car, listening to or singing along with your radio and talking to other passengers illegal too? These activities also divert your attention from the road, right?

Yes, all of these are distractions, and talking to other passangers, singling along with music, and changing CDs is probably more of a distraction than smoking.

What I was saying is that the hands free law should be all emcompassing. If we want to make the roads safer, and we already have a hands free law, (1) it should actually be enforced and (2) it should include banning other things that require the use of your hands..including smoking, eating, applying make up, reading (yes, I've seen it on the CA freeways...novels and newspapers), and etc.

imageimageimage
  • image Christina_Diane:
    image zitiqueen:

image Christina_Diane:

Yes, all of these are distractions, and talking to other passangers, singling along with music, and changing CDs is probably more of a distraction than smoking.

What I was saying is that the hands free law should be all emcompassing. If we want to make the roads safer, and we already have a hands free law, (1) it should actually be enforced and (2) it should include banning other things that require the use of your hands..including smoking, eating, applying make up, reading (yes, I've seen it on the CA freeways...novels and newspapers), and etc.

There is a no text law in CO and it is completely enforced here--and my bro lives in CA and he has hand's free b/c he's afraid of it being enforced there. How do you know it's not enforced?

And--again--there are plenty of studies to show that  the act of texting   engages the same attentional focus required as the act of driving. That is why the law is in existence. Either the studies are not as strong with other activities or they don't exist. 

• image foundmylazybum:
    image Christina_Diane:
    image zitiqueen:

image Christina_Diane:

There is a no text law in CO and it is completely enforced here--and my bro lives in CA and he has hand's free b/c he's afraid of it being enforced there. How do you know it's not enforced?

And--again--there are plenty of studies to show that  the act of texting   engages the same attentional focus required as the act of driving. That is why the law is in existence. Either the studies are not as strong with other activities or they don't exist. 

You are correct here. Smoking isn't nearly as distracting as other activities, but it is a proven distraction. Actually, according to this study other vehicle occupants and adjusting the music is much more distacting than smoking...and even cell phone use. But, I think this five year study might be a bit dated. Perhaps fewer people had access to cell phones during this five year period for the study. It was performed by the US Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Person or thing outside of vehicle - 29.4% Dealing with radio/cassette/CD - 11.4% Talking to passenger - 10.9% Unidentified distraction - 8.6% Trying to find an object in vehicle - 4.3% Using certain devices or objects - 2.9% Adjusting climate controls - 2.8% Eating and/or drinking - 1.7% Talking on the cell phone - 1.5% Smoking related - 0.9% Other distractions - 25.6%

From my own personal experience, the law is enforced...but not nearly enough. I know someone who has received a ticket, but I also see everyday dozens of people talking and driving. I even see semi truck drivers talking on their cell phones. I honestly think CA doesnt have enough man power to adequately enforce the law in a way that would make it effective.

I was almost killed on a run when a person talking on her phone ran a red light and ran through the intersection I was running at. This is probably why I am so adament about drivers not being distracted.

imageimageimage
  • Our town has outlawed smoking in public parks and on the sidewalks and they're enforcing it ($400 fine!!)

It's made running SO much nicer!

Food Blog: Cate's World Kitchen
    Ellie Jane - 9/12/11
    Post-partum races!
    11/6 - Kennedy Drive 8K: 36:27 (7:20 pace)
    12/4 - North Face Trail Half Marathon: 2:10 (9:27 pace)
    12/11 - Arts and Sciences 5K: 21:56 (7:03 pace)
    1/8 - Golden Gate Park 10K: 44:30 (7:09 pace) PR!
    1/22 - Waterfront 5K: 20:54 (6:43 pace) PR!
  • image abvernon:
    I know. Since I live near a college, I see it all the time. But man, when they talk, they have a smoker's talk. These are the same gals who think tanning is healthy.

Don't judge on that - I have a super deep voice for a woman and I have never smoked. I get angry when people ask me if I smoke. 

Side note: I do partly blame my deeper voice on living with two paretns who smoked like chimneys 

But  -  I also hate the people who smoke in parks/trails. particularly when Im at the end of a run, and my lungs are working overtime.  .

• image sarahtucker:
    We were at the hospital and walked outside and there was a super pregnant woman smoking! I wanted to go up to her and yell at her and say seriously do you know what you are doing to your baby! That made me so mad. And she wasn't young either, so she's had some time to learn better. That should be illegal.

When I lived in my first apartment, there were two women who lived downstairs from me.  They had a tupperware party and invited me.  During the party, they introduced me to their pregnant friend who was trying to get rid of her cat.  They knew I had a cat and thought I would be interested.  I felt bad, but I had to to tell her no, I couldn't take her cat.  She gave me a sob story about how she's not supposed to be around the litter box because she's pregnant, blah, blah, blah.  And then, she lit a cigerette!   I couldn't believe it!  I no longer felt bad that I couldn't take her cat. 

• image APJP610:

image sarahtucker:
    We were at the hospital and walked outside and there was a super pregnant woman smoking! I wanted to go up to her and yell at her and say seriously do you know what you are doing to your baby! That made me so mad. And she wasn't young either, so she's had some time to learn better. That should be illegal.

When I lived in my first apartment, there were two women who lived downstairs from me.  They had a tupperware party and invited me.  During the party, they introduced me to their pregnant friend who was trying to get rid of her cat.  They knew I had a cat and thought I would be interested.  I felt bad, but I had to to tell her no, I couldn't take her cat.  She gave me a sob story about how she's not supposed to be around the litter box because she's pregnant, blah, blah, blah.  And then, she lit a cigerette!   I couldn't believe it!  I no longer felt bad that I couldn't take her cat. 

People are funny.  I bet she didn't realize the irony.

• A couple things...

In CA, it is illegal to smoke in the car with a minor passenger.  Anyone younger than 18!  I wish that law had been around when I was a kid, as my idiot mother gave me smoking-induced asthma, and I still have breathing issues whenever I'm in a smokey place for too long.

The handsfree law is enforced in CA.  I'm about $120 poorer b/c of it ;) 

Also, all the studies I've ever been able to find on the "dangers" of talking on the cell phone while driving were performed by companies that manufacture or otherwise support the prodution of hands free devices.  Since the law went into effect here, there has been no change in the instance of car accidents.  Texting is dangerous, but the original CA handsfree law didn't even mention texting.  Only talking.  And talking on the phone while driving is exactly as distracting (in all the parts of the brain arguments) as talking to your passenger while holding a banana up to your ear.  And yet, driving while banana-to-ear is still perfectly legal.  It's the actual talking that is distracting/dangerous.  I totally believe the whole law and movement was initiated by companies out there looking to make a buck off of these devices (there's now a much bigger market for them individually, and even installed as standards in new vehicles now!  It's a huge market!).

And finally, umm...HI!  From a lurker (who has been counting points on ww since January, and started training this week for my first 1/2 marathon).  You girls are tons of inspiration!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers