International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

good real estate sites for the UK

Hi All,

I'm back again with another question for the girls in the U.K.

Wondering if any of you have used a good real estate site when looking for rental properties.

We'll be there this summer and i had wanted to get as much info as possible re: affordability and sizes of houses or flats in the area we are looking which would be Gloucestershire or Cheltenham area.

Thanks in advance! Oh and any advice about the pitfalls that you have experienced while renting in the U.K...differences between the U.S and U.K rental system etc would be so helpful!

Re: good real estate sites for the UK

• Rightmove.co.uk
    ?Transatlantic Blonde?
    it's called a kilt, he's scottish
  • ditto!  It's the site I've used for both rentals and to find our house to buy.  It is the best.
  • image butterflygrl06:

Thanks in advance! Oh and any advice about the pitfalls that you have experienced while renting in the U.K...differences between the U.S and U.K rental system etc would be so helpful!

Renting can be tough as you won't have good credit over here...it doesn't transfer from the US.  You may have to get a letter from an employer and have a bank account before you can rent, or you may have to put more money up front. 

Sizes of flats are smaller than the typical apartment unless you lived in a big city like Boston or NYC.  A single bedroom is one where you can fit a single bed and still open the door - can be TINY...and will be considered a bedroom, so don't take bedroom numbers to mean anything - you want to see them.  A double bedroom can fit a double bed and sometimes that's it. 

Don't expect to necessarily have built in closets...you may have to go to IKEA and buy wardrobes for you clothing...we have no closets in our house and only wardrobes which we put in.  Sometimes purpose built buildings will have closets as they are newer. 

Ex council means that the flat was once part of the council flat program...sorta like public housing in the States (for people on benefits).  Depending on where it is, they can be nice (I lived in one in St Johns Wood and it was lovely)...or it can be in a hellhole.

Hope that helps!