Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mt. St. Helens: 30 years ago, were you around?

I don't remember anything, i was only two. But my mom always tells me the story about how she had put my brother and I down for a nap and several minutes later the windows started to shake and she yelled at my dad to stop doing whatever he was doing. Later on they realized the mountain had eruptedand that is what shook the windows. BTW they felt it all the way in Lynnwood.

Re: Mt. St. Helens: 30 years ago, were you around?

• I was around, I was 8 and I remember! One of the eruptions, I'm not sure if it was May 18, we were at grandpa's and we had to drive home from the Columbia Gorge through the ash. I won't ever forget it.
  • Embarrassed My mom was 20 when it happened.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was around..but in diapers still. 

DH remembers being outside playing in the ash before he got yelled at to come inside.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't around yet, but for most of the first decade of my life i was enamored with the event and site.  I even "climbed" it when it opened back up to hiking in 2006.

Little known fact: it is a Nat'l Volcanic Monument (managed by the Forest Service), not a Nat'l Park (Nat'l Park Service) as many people think. 

EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • I was only 5 months old at the time. My brother and DH remember it more than I do. :)
    greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I was 10 months old and my DH was 8 days.  I think his parents have the newspaper clipping though : )
    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/29mmyd3.jpg[/IMG]
  • I was in nola and very young. But I remember looking through a national geographic issue that covered it at my grandparents' house over and over again when I was little.
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • I lived in Wyoming at the time and we had to stuff towels around doors and windows form the ash coming in. Our cars were covered with a very thick layer of ash too. All the way in Wyoming, crazy.

I worked with a guy who was in eastern WA when it happened, he said they did not know what was going on and they were outside on the playground and saw a wall coming at them. He has a few little scars on his skin from the crystals that hit them from it. 

• I was 2.5 when it happened, so I don't really remember, but we were living in Yakima and my mom talks about the ash covering the cars and having to put a mask on me for several days when she took me outside.
  • My mom was 21, and I was definitely not around for it. My mom always said that at first she thought it was snow and was really mad because she hates snow. 
    [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/4hz6u.jpg[/IMG]

My Sweet Wee Girl ? 03.19.11
  • I was 12, so I was around when it happened, but I grew up in SoCal, so we weren't really affected by it. Stick out tongue
    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/mmbdis.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/t6xkxy.jpg[/IMG]