Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

2 First Times

Ok it finally happened.  Nearly 1 year into married life, just turned 25 and 2 huge, MONUMENTAL events happened.

#1) Some snot nosed brat (all of 20) called me "ma'am".  I just wanted to strangle him!!!  I had to do a double take to make sure this little twerp was actually talking to me.  He was.  I know he was just being polite but...

#2) UPS guy dropped off a package and hit on me.  No classes today so I slept in late.  Slept late, no shower yet, wearing an ubercasual pair of shorts and my LSU t-shirt and most comfy shoes when he knocked on the door.  I answered and he carried in 3 good sized boxes and left them on the kitchen floor (stuff from my dad he still had at his house and wanted out of his way).  Gave him a can of diet pepsi as a thanks and he asked if I'd gone to see Iron Man yet and did I want to go with him.

The lesson?

If you wait around long enough, life will indeed balance itself out...lol

Re: 2 First Times

• I don't quite understand why being called "ma'am" is so upsetting.  I have been called "ma'am" many times, even as a 20-year-old (I'm 24 now).  You're an adult woman and "ma'am" is an appropriate term.  Don't take it personally.
  • imageJustLes:
    I don't quite understand why being called "ma'am" is so upsetting.  I have been called "ma'am" many times, even as a 20-year-old (I'm 24 now).  You're an adult woman and "ma'am" is an appropriate term.  Don't take it personally.

I agree with the PP. I can remember being called ma'am when I was eighteen or nineteen, I don't think you should feel insulted. I would be far more unhappy about a UPS employee hitting on me--how unprofessional--but then, I have always hated being hit on, so . . .

• Are you serious? Ma'am is the polite term to address a woman whose name is unknown to you. Would you rather him address you as "crazy b!tch?" Quite frankly, that's how you're coming off to me.

imageimage
  • ...so what you're implying is that women of a certain age (old enough to be called ma'am rather than miss) are not sexy/attractive enough to be hit on....
  • Um, I where I work I always use "ma'am" and "sir". Attractiveness and age play no role in that. It's called "manners".

• I was taught to ma'am and sir all adults and it has stuck.  I have a had a few people become angry with me, but it has nothing to do with how old a person is.  If they're older than 18 I usually use the terms ma'am or sir, and I use the last name when addressing a patient unless/until they tell me to call them by their first name.
    image 30 y/o with PCOS HSG normal, SA essentially normal (slightly low morph but good # and motility) 50 mg Clomid...zip; 100 mg Clomid...nada; 150 mg Clomid...zilch 1/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F, Ovidrel, and TI.....Beta 2/22...BFN 2/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F and Follistim (long story), Ovidrel..BFN 4/10 Injectable cycle (see above). BFP but early m/c 5w5d. 5/10 Break cycle due to BFC (Big Fat Cyst)...darn it all 6/10 Injectable cycle +IUI...BFN 7/10 Injectable cycle + IUI.....BFP!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I call everybody ma'am or sir. It's just something I've always done. Don't take it personally. Also, I wouldn't have let the random UPS guy in my house...just because he works for UPS doesn't mean he isn't a weirdo.
  • I dislike "miss" more than ma'am.  It's polite for people to use ma'am or sir as pp's already mentioned
    Natural m/c @ 6 weeks - 3/1/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've heard retail and restaurant employees call elderly women "Miss." It must be a generic greeting, being called "ma'am".

Was the UPS guy hot?

• imagebubblygirl21:
    I call everybody ma'am or sir. It's just something I've always done. Don't take it personally. Also, I wouldn't have let the random UPS guy in my house...just because he works for UPS doesn't mean he isn't a weirdo.

No, no, it's ok if he hits on you and doesn't call you "ma'am"...silly girl!

• imageTarponMonoxide:

I've heard retail and restaurant employees call elderly women "Miss." It must

I was actually told by an older woman's husband, after my husband held a door open for them and said something including the term "miss" in regards to the woman, that it is very offensive to call an older woman miss. It's almost patronizing to many of them. Likewise, calling random women "honey or hon." I've never said it again!

• Ma'am is offensive??

I don't care if people call me "hon" or "miss" or "ma'am" or whatever, as long as it's not condescending when they say it.  I can't imagine being so uptight that you would take offense to something as stupid as that, or being called something.  It's not like he said "hey lady" or "slut' or something.

Frankly, I'd be a lot more offended by someone hitting on me while they were doing their job when I have a wedding ring on. 

• I'm with you.  I hate to be called ma'am.  Miss is so much better!

I wish I were you with the UPS guys.  Some women like police uniforms, I am in love with the UPS uniform.  I love it when they bring me a "package".  I need to find a uniform for my SO.  Man that would be hot.

• Miss sounds like he is trying to get a little girls attention. Very informal. Ma'am is proper and is NOT a term for older ladies...if you feel that way, well you are wrong! :-)