Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WTF at the gyn this morning....

I went in this morning for my annual pap.  This should not be a big deal.  I saw the nurse instead of the doctor, because my doctor had a 6 week wait.  So she starts the exam and I am literally crying in pain, and I have to have her stop what she is doing.  I get myself under control and we barely finish the exam, and she starts apologizing about normally being really gentle, there was something wrong with the speculum, etc.  She leaves so I can get dressed and I realize I am BLEEDING from her exam.  Here are the facts: I am not a virgin. This was not my first exam.  The bleeding was not my period.  WTF did she do to me??? And should I call on Monday and say something?

Re: WTF at the gyn this morning....

• Sounds like she was a bit more than rough. She probably tore some tissue.

If the bleeding keeps up for awhile -- and it shouldn't --- complain.

I'd be lax to book another appointment with that doc.:( 

• Ohhhh, and here was another thing she told me.  Apparently, in addition to the speculum "breaking" it hurt so bad because my "cervix is really far up there".  I mean, I've been seeing a gynecologist for 11 years now, and I've never had anyone hurt me like this, nor has anyone made a comment on the location of my cervix. 

Tarpon: After I got dressed, I went to the front desk and asked for the paperwork to have my records transferred to a different doctor.  I don't know who I'm going to, but I won't be going there EVER again.  I'm wondering though, if I should call and tell them that I am leaving their practice because of this specific situation.

• I think you need to file a formal complaint about this and then switch doctors.

I'm sorry this happened, it sounds horrific.

In my state a nurse has to be in the room along with whoever is performing the pelvic exam. Did you happen to have anyone else in their with you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Violet_McPurpleson:

I think you need to file a formal complaint about this and then switch doctors.

I'm sorry this happened, it sounds horrific.

In my state a nurse has to be in the room along with whoever is performing the pelvic exam. Did you happen to have anyone else in their with you?

No, I didn't.  I'm not sure if my state has a similar law, but thinking back on things, I can't remember another exam where I DIDN'T have a second person in there.  And thank you for the responses.  I will definitely be making a phone call Monday morning.

• Where were you bleeding from? Was there a tear or was there just blood coming from your vagina? Because A LOT of women have spotting after a Pap. The cervix has very delicate tissue, and you basically drag a stiff bristled brush across it and insert it in the cervical canal.

Your cervix also could have been further up than during other exams. Your cervix is in different positions depending on where you are in your cycle. So it's possible that it was hiding up there this time.

All that being said, if you don't feel comfortable, switch. I don't know why you would switch doctors when it was the nurse that's a problem. Just go to the actual doctor next time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image bel138:

Where were you bleeding from? Was there a tear or was there just blood coming from your vagina? Because A LOT of women have spotting after a Pap. The cervix has very delicate tissue, and you basically drag a stiff bristled brush across it and insert it in the cervical canal.

Your cervix also could have been further up than during other exams. Your cervix is in different positions depending on where you are in your cycle. So it's possible that it was hiding up there this time.

All that being said, if you don't feel comfortable, switch. I don't know why you would switch doctors when it was the nurse that's a problem. Just go to the actual doctor next time.

The reason I want to leave the practice is because it's tiny.  There's one doctor, one nurse practitioner and a couple of other nurses.  Even if I made an appointment with the doctor next time, I would still be seeing her at some point in the visit.  She made me feel terrible today.  I was in an extremely vulnerable position, in terrible pain, and what I got from her was that this was my fault since she's usually gentle.  If MY cervix was in a different position, if MY muscles were more relaxed (it's amazing how feeling like your insides are being ripped will make you tense up!), if there hadn't been a problem with the speculum.  If she feels like she had no part to play in this situation, then I don't want her involved in my medical care anymore.  That's why I was asking if I should call the office and tell them why I'm leaving.

• PP is right about occasional (lightish) spotting after cervix exams.  Not gut-wrenching pain, though.  That is not normal at all, especially if you've had an exam before, etc.  I have never had a painful exam before, maybe uncomfortable - and I've had a biopsy, I've had exams when I was still a virgin, etc.

I didn't even know they allowed nurses to perform exams like that. I would definitely switch doctors, and if a formal complaint sounds like too much effort - I would call the doctor himself/herself and tell him/her what happened with the nurse so he/she would be aware of the situation and know why you're switching.  This isn't something to keep to yourself.  Did you say something during the exam, during the pain?  She should have stopped immediately if you had - not explained herself away.

I have a very tilted cervix, and my OB/GYN performed an initial internal cervical exam when I was 7 weeks pregnant.  He had no trouble getting to the cervix, which was high -  and I experienced no pain from any of it, even though he mentioned that it was more difficult to feel properly and had to reach at different angles, etc.

• I definitely made her stop because of the pain.  That's when she told me the speculum was broken/wasn't working or something (I don't really remember her exact wording, I was trying to get myself under control).  I told her I was done, the exam was done, I was not continuing with this.  She said we were so close to being finished, the problem was the speculum, just another minute.  So I caved.  And then pain was just as bad, and that's when she said the thing about my cervix. 

I wish I hadn't caved.  I'm usually really good at sticking up for myself when I think something isn't right.  I'm equally upset with myself for not sticking to what I said and ending the appointment.

• Whoa. Totally not normal. I sometimes spot afterward but even if I do the actual exam isn't painful. What a freako. I'd definitely call and complain.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would call and complain.  One time I had an exam and a doctor wanted to use a huge specula(sp?)  and I asked if she had a smaller one.  Then she explained that she thought I'd had children and that is why she pulled out the largest one... however, I don't experience that kind of pain - just uncomfortable.  Also, no one should make you feel like you are the issue honey...
  • I might be the only one with this opinion  - but I think you are over reacting just a bit. The nurse wasn't out to cause you pain, she was not in control if any technical issue with the speculum. In the intrest of giving you the best possible exam she made the decision to attempt to complete it. And it is not all her fault - a lot of pain is common for women who are nervous or worked up - which you obviously were after the initial speculum issue and resultant pain. Like PPs said - it is normal to spot after the exam which she should have explain to you, so minus some points there, she probably could have also explain that because your cervix was so far up and she had a hard time obtaining the samples that you might experience more then light spotting. As PPs said, your cervix is at different levels during your cycle - she couldn't forsee this either.

I think it is rational to stick up for yourself, maybe sit down with the doc and discuss this, have him explain what might have happened inside you to have these pains/bleeding occur. But there is no reason to go and flip out at the doctor or the nurse. They were trying to provide a health care service, not maim you.

Just my two cents.

Sorry you had to experience it, I hope it doesn't stick with you for your next one. I also hope that given the intense pain, it all comes out clear and normal.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2vmsk8h.jpg[/IMG]
  • Are you sure you don't have an infection or some other issue that would make this more painful than usual?

I wrote this! 
  • Something like this happened to my SIL during an exam as well. The NP had a trainee with her who was performing the exam, SIL said it was really more painful than usual, all of the sudden the NP shoves her out of the way and SIL feels this gush of blood. The NP got the bleeding slowed and was able to finish the exam. There was enough blood that she wasn't sure if they'd have to do it again a few weeks later or not though. 

SIL said she sucked it up in the office, but as soon as she got out to her car she burst in to tears and sat there bawling for a good 20 minutes. It's a vulnerable situation as it is, it's understandable that you're upset.

Does it warrant changing offices? I don't know, that's up to you. I don't think you'd be out of line to have a quick chat with your doctor about it though. I wouldn't accuse the nurse of anything outright, but I'd explain the situation from your angle and voice your concerns.

• A similar, but not nearly as bad situation, happened to me at my last pap.  The office was unusually busy and after waiting for over 2 hours the NP came in and was obviously in a hurry.  It's the first time that I had so much pain during the pap and then I had heavy spotting for a day and a half afterward (I've never had any spotting before).  It eventually went away though.  If you don't feel comfortable going back there then definitely change doctors. 
    DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • image Gracie6414:

I might be the only one with this opinion  - but I think you are over reacting just a bit. The nurse wasn't out to cause you pain, she was not in control if any technical issue with the speculum. In the intrest of giving you the best possible exam she made the decision to attempt to complete it. And it is not all her fault - a lot of pain is common for women who are nervous or worked up - which you obviously were after the initial speculum issue and resultant pain. Like PPs said - it is normal to spot after the exam which she should have explain to you, so minus some points there, she probably could have also explain that because your cervix was so far up and she had a hard time obtaining the samples that you might experience more then light spotting. As PPs said, your cervix is at different levels during your cycle - she couldn't forsee this either.

I think it is rational to stick up for yourself, maybe sit down with the doc and discuss this, have him explain what might have happened inside you to have these pains/bleeding occur. But there is no reason to go and flip out at the doctor or the nurse. They were trying to provide a health care service, not maim you.

Just my two cents.

Sorry you had to experience it, I hope it doesn't stick with you for your next one. I also hope that given the intense pain, it all comes out clear and normal.

This

"Love is an act of endless forgiveness; a tender look that becomes a habit." Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I always wait for the doc. The office I go to never offers a nurse to do the job. I might have to schedule my appointments for two or three months out, and wait 45 minutes in the lobby, but I get seen, and I am healthy.

The pap does hurt sometimes though. Not terribly though. I'm usually already a bit nervous, and then of course, the scraping doesn't make me feel good in any way.

It's totally up to you though. I always try to find docs that I am comfortable working with. If you really can't stand this nurse, you might want to move on.

• So sorry this happened.  I've had the same gyno since i was 17, my first time she used the baby speculum on me cause she said my hymen was very thick.  She is so gentle and she is a nurse and that's why i'm somewhat dissapointed that she won't be able to deliver when i get KU.  Nurses can perform paps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Was it the nurse or the nurse practitioner who did the pap? In my state only your doc or her NP can perform a pap...no nurses.

I'd call you doctor and ask to speak with her directly. Let her know how the nurse handled this pap and the pain you felt during.

If your not too found of this doc either, I suggest finding another but if it was just the nurse just specify next time that you'd like only to see the doc.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image MaryWithoutSound:

I'm wondering though, if I should call and tell them that I am leaving their practice because of this specific situation.

Yes.

• This sounds horrible. If the speculum was broken, she should have gotten a new one instead of putting you through the rest of an exam. And I don't know if I'm the only one with this opinion, but if you told her to stop, she should have stopped and not pressured you when you were obviously freaked out and in pain.

As someone who has had several issues with gyno exams, I would definitely call and switch practices, if only for the reason that this is going to be on your mind if you went back and would only make things worse. GL