Fashion & Beauty
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

White dresses and weddings

If you have to ask if it's appropriate, then it's probably not... it's one day, why would you pick a dress that's white for someone's wedding out of the millions of styles and colors available in stores?

Re: White dresses and weddings

• same here.

I even try not to wear ALL black even though I know it is totally okay now and an old belief but i'm just old school in that way. I know it's okay but how do I know that others know it's okay. I guess I just don't want older people who arent all hip with fashion to think I am being disrespectful..

• I TOTALLY agree. I mean, you can wear a white dress for any other event, just not weddings (or rehearsal dinners, showers, etc). I don't get why people try and push it and get away with it. 

The same rule applies to ivory/cream/gold too, IMO, since more wedding gowns are those colors nowadays than stark white. 

My SIL in wore an ivory-gold-ish dress to our rehearsal dinner (the same color as my rehearsal dinner dress- though she didn't know that) and it irked me a ton. I wasn't bridezilla about it (i love her to death), but it did bug me, even though I never told anyone.  

I feel like that is the one time the bride should be the only one to wear those colors. 

It stuns me that people don't know this rule!!! It's so basic! :)  

• I agree. I guess that's my general philosophy for all things fashion related--if you have to ask if it's appropriate, just don't wear it. there are plenty of options.
  • with you 100%
  • I tell my 6th graders, "If you are asking if xyz is okay, then it probably isn't".

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• image 111Kate111:

I TOTALLY agree. I mean, you can wear a white dress for any other event, just not weddings (or rehearsal dinners, showers, etc). I don't get why people try and push it and get away with it. 

The same rule applies to ivory/cream/gold too, IMO, since more wedding gowns are those colors nowadays than stark white. 

My SIL in wore an ivory-gold-ish dress to our rehearsal dinner (the same color as my rehearsal dinner dress- though she didn't know that) and it irked me a ton. I wasn't bridezilla about it (i love her to death), but it did bug me, even though I never told anyone.  

I feel like that is the one time the bride should be the only one to wear those colors. 

It stuns me that people don't know this rule!!! It's so basic! :)  

This. Both my MIL and my husband's aunt wore ankle-length white (not ivory, not cream - white) dresses to my wedding. I was kind of floored.

• i agree. we had a destination wedding and so many people were concerned about what to wear [not sure why but i think because it seemed more formal than many of them were used to?] so i told people the appropriate attire including colors navy, white, and cream. even so, there were still some people who didn't feel comfortable wearing those colors.

i think it's extremely inappropriate to assume it would be ok and frankly, i don't understand how someone wouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing that color to a wedding knowing other people would notice.

?Hoping to Adopt & FTA?
  • SA7206SA7206 member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments Combo Breaker

Quite frankly, so long as someone isn't wearing a white gown, I really don't see what the big deal is. I think people get too worked up about this. However, maybe I'm just extremely laid back on things like this.

That being said, I do know that people do get worked up about it, so it's something to stay away from. However, some people freak out over the tiniest bit of white in a dress, and that I find ridiculous. I get it if it's a fully white dress. I get it if it's a mostly white dress, but a print dress that has a little bit of white...please.

• also, am I the only person who thinks it's bad form to wear red to a wedding as well??

• While I don't wear white to weddings/rehearsal dinners it really wouldn't bug me if someone wore white/ivory/gold to mine.  I mean, it's pretty obvious I'm the bride at my own wedding and I'm wearing a wedding dress...maybe if they showed up in a wedding gown I'd be making a funny face at them but otherwise I really wouldn't care.

• image SA7206:

Quite frankly, so long as someone isn't wearing a white gown, I really don't see what the big deal is. I think people get too worked up about this. However, maybe I'm just extremely laid back on things like this.

That being said, I do know that people do get worked up about it, so it's something to stay away from. However, some people freak out over the tiniest bit of white in a dress, and that I find ridiculous. I get it if it's a fully white dress. I get it if it's a mostly white dress, but a print dress that has a little bit of white...please.

I am so with you on this. I don't do it but can't imagine getting preoccupied about what someone else wore.  I can honestly say I didn't even look to see. It never even crossed my mind. 

• I just feel like it's one day, you aren't the star of the show, the girl in the WHITE dress (typically white or some shade of it) is.

Why go there? Just b/c you don't mind doesn't mean the bride won't.

To me, it's not a question of whether or not my dress looks like it's trying to upstage the bride, it's the tradition and meaning behind not wearing white to someone else's wedding. Just b/c it doesn't look like the bride's dress, doesn't mean it's disrespectful to delibritely wear a color that is basically a no no at any wedding.

It's the meaning behind it for me that's the issue, not the actual dress color itself.

Also, I was in a sorority that required a white dress for initiation... do you know how hard you have to work to find a white dress (even one with a pattern on it)? You're going out of your way to get a dress in white... wtf people?

• SA7206SA7206 member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments Combo Breaker

I'm pretty sure all of us that responded with "it's not a big deal" said we don't wear white because we know other people have a problem with it.

I also don't think people are going out of their way to find a white dress. I think a lot of people are just looking for a dress that they like and feel good in, sometimes that dress has white in it. 

I'm not saying go out and buy a white dress for a wedding, but if you buy a floral dress and the background has some white in it, I really don't think this is being disrespectful in the least bit.

• image gorjush:

also, am I the only person who thinks it's bad form to wear red to a wedding as well??

EEK! Is it? I had planned on wearing a red w/ white poka dots to a wedding the end of June- guess I better look for a new one. I tend to wear a lot of red - esp for a red head!

I also have a terrible confession - I asked a bride one time if I could wear a dress to her wedding, it was white with some black- how terrible do I feel now!?! In my small defence- I was super young, and had been to like 2 weddings in my whole life.

image image Visit The Nest!