Fashion & Beauty
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

J.Crew Sophia Dress

Does anyone know how it fits? They have it in so many colors and it's been around for so long, I feel like it must be universally flattering.

I have a few summer weddings and am thinking of buying it to wear to them (they're casual).

Anyone have one or have tried it on? 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Re: J.Crew Sophia Dress

• It's very flattering. I have it in the silk tricotine material(sp?). I would recommend sizing down one size, but that is normally the case with all JCrew clothes.

What color are you getting?

• Thanks! I was thinking about the Vintage Blue. I'm very fair with dark hair and that color tends to be flattering on my skin.

What color do you have?

Can't decide between the tricotine and the silk chiffon. I feel like the chiffon will feel great but may not be as flattering. KWIM? 

• Ohh, that is going to be such a pretty color for you! I have it in bright hydrangea. Love the blue. Smile

I love the chiffon, but I think the other fabric can transition into cooler weather. You can't go wrong with either, though.

• Ah, good point re weather!

Of course, now that I'm looking closer on the site, I see they don't have the tricotine in the Vintage Blue! They may have made my decision for me... 

• haha. Fate intervened! You def need to get the vintage blue.
  • It's incredibly flattering.  My BMs wore this - I had a large wedding party, with all shapes and sizes, and every single girl looked gorgeous.

Depending on your chest size (or for me, my rib cage, which is fairly broad, as odd as that sounds) you may actually want to go up a size.  I normally wear a two at J.Crew, and I can fit into the two for the Sophia, but I think a 4 might be better.

A friend of mine told me their embossed halter beachdress (which is at stores usually) fits the same as the Sophia, if you want to try it on.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I tried it and didn't like it... but admittedly, I have a terrible body for 90% of dresses.  I'm short and about an average build except for my chest which is too large for my frame.  Terribly annoying in terms of dress shopping.  Anyway, I bought Sophia up a size, knowing I usually need to buy up for my bust, and it looked terrible.  Really tight in the chest and then floppy/maternityesque looking in the waist.

Again, it's a cute dress, likely it's me, not it, but I didn't have a good experience.

• Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

I ordered in the chiffon Vintage Blue. We'll see how it fits.

I'm a pear so think it should be relatively good for me, but you never know...

• It's an almost universally flattering style, but the bust is incredibly small.  Actually, I have had that problem with several J.Crew dresses (the fancier styles), so I don't buy them anymore.  If you're at all big busted (I would say anything larger than a C), you may need to order up and have the dress tailored.  
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This dress was very unflattering on me.  I have a shorter torso and I wear about d cup, so that is probably why.  I love the dress itself though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BekiBBekiB member
    It was terrible on me. I ordered the 00 and the bust was huge (for a 00 dress). The chiffon was also itchy and it just didn't seem like a $165 dress. I hope you have better luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker