Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Whats your workout routine like?

Re: Whats your workout routine like?

• I just joined the gym 3 weeks ago! :::waits for applause:::  Last week I started the Couch to 5k program- it's 9 week program for people who are interested in running.  I just did Week 2 Day 1 yesterday and it was difficult, but I can already see an improvement. You run 3 days a week.  I downloaded a podcast that I use which tells me when to run or walk, and it's only for 30 minutes each session.

I also go to my local YMCA and they have this program called MobileFit.  I signed up, put in my goal (in my case, to lose weight and get toned) and they make up workouts.  I just print out the workout and do what it tells me to do. 

I try to go to the gym 3-4x/week.  I like both workouts because they're structured- If I just "went to the gym" I wouldn't push myself or know what to do at all.  I like having a set list of things to do when I get there- makes it a lot easier for me!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Let me preface this by saying I have no children and a job with very regular hours. 

Monday: Power Yoga for 1:15

Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: at the gym; 45 minutes of cardio, which consists of running on the treadmill one day per week, or biking/elliptical as other options, followed by 30 to 40 min of weightlifting

Wednesday: run outside or on the canal. Usually 5.5 mi.

Saturday: off (sometimes a race)

Sunday: long run between 8 - 10 miles.

• image Beagle211:

I just joined the gym 3 weeks ago! :::waits for applause:::  Last week I started the Couch to 5k program- it's 9 week program for people who are interested in running.  I just did Week 2 Day 1 yesterday and it was difficult, but I can already see an improvement. You run 3 days a week.  I downloaded a podcast that I use which tells me when to run or walk, and it's only for 30 minutes each session.

I also go to my local YMCA and they have this program called MobileFit.  I signed up, put in my goal (in my case, to lose weight and get toned) and they make up workouts.  I just print out the workout and do what it tells me to do. 

I try to go to the gym 3-4x/week.  I like both workouts because they're structured- If I just "went to the gym" I wouldn't push myself or know what to do at all.  I like having a set list of things to do when I get there- makes it a lot easier for me!

Beagle- I started Couch to 5k this past weekend! I'm doing a 5K May 22nd. So far, so good. We shall see though. I'm kind of a lazy mother effer so I'm hoping to stick with this.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Erbur;

Where do you live?

My current workout routine is horrible because I've been terribly lazy...  But I plan to get back to what I was doing prior to April which was:

Mon-Fri:  30 Day Shred in my living room after work (it's only 20 mins)

2-3x per week:  LA Fitness (alternating weights and cardio days) 

• I started a new weight program 2 weeks ago so I am currently adjusting my routine. It is called the New Rules of Lifting For Women. It is a set program you follow and I really like it. It has women lifting a lot more and using free weights instead of the circuit machines. My lifting workouts currently are about 30 to 40 minutes but the program changes them up so it can go up to an hour or more later on.

In addition, I do classes. I love spinning, BodyStep and Body Flow (Its like yoga). DH and I belong to our local YMCA and love it.

Currently this is my schedule
    Mon - Body Step
    Tue - lifting
    Wed - Spin
    Thurs - Lifting
    Fri - Off Day
    Sat - Body Step and Body Flow
    Sun - Lifting

I am still adjusting classes around but I like it. I was doing cardio almost everyday but have changed it to include lifting as they say lifting really helps you lose weight by building muscle and increasing your metabolism.

• get on bike

ride to work

get off bike

routine over. 

• image ooodsie:

Erbur;

Where do you live?

In the burbs...Phoenixville.  Are you going to join me on my workouts?  Stick out tongue

• this is really giving me some inspiration! i've been so off and on with the gym for the past 5 years its crazy.  so i made a deal with myself that i wasn't allowed to join the gym again until i walked for at least 30 minutes 4x a week for 4 weeks.  i just accomplished my goal, so i'm pretty happy about that (baby steps).  the only thing i was able to stick to at the gym is body pump.

sam- is the new rules routine in a book that i can buy?

that couch to 5k thing sounds awesome, but with these lady lumps running scares the sh!t out of me.

and kudos to beagle!!!!

image Ridin dirty
  • image Tianacheron:

that couch to 5k thing sounds awesome, but with these lady lumps running scares the sh!t out of me.

Invest in a good sports bra...and you can most definitely run!  I have a friend who encounters this problem as well, but has done the Marine Corps Half-Marathon in DC.   She doesn't run like Usain Bolt, but with the right sports bra, she gets those lumps under control and does not have back pain after the race. 

• image Tianacheron:

this is really giving me some inspiration! i've been so off and on with the gym for the past 5 years its crazy.  so i made a deal with myself that i wasn't allowed to join the gym again until i walked for at least 30 minutes 4x a week for 4 weeks.  i just accomplished my goal, so i'm pretty happy about that (baby steps).  the only thing i was able to stick to at the gym is body pump.

sam- is the new rules routine in a book that i can buy?

and kudos to beagle!!!!

The new rules of lifting is a book you can buy. I discovered this on the Health and Fitness board and bought the book. I have also tried Bodypump but it just wasn't my thing.

In regards to running with the "girls" - I have dealt with this issue too. Most normal sport bras dont fit me unless they are my exact bra size. There are a lot of good brands out there now that give you great support. They can be pricey (40 to 70 bucks) but it is an investment in your health.

• Erbur -   Lol.  You said you can the Canal, so I wasnt sure if you meant the Yardley Canal.  I live right off of it and see people running all the time from Yardley to New Hope.  If I ever can learn to run without needing a break every 2 minutes I am going to give that a try.. Looks like a really nice scenic run.  
  • I'm next to the Schuylkill River, so mr erbur and I run from our house, across the river, to the Schuylkill Canal.  There's a part of it that is paved (about .75 mi), so we do an up and back, cross the street, then hit the dirt/grass part of the canal--which is another .75.   It's really nice running on the grassy part, since it is canal on one side, river on the other and I feel like I'm a kid again playing capture. 
  • This post makes me feel like a lazy POS.

But kudos to you ladies for your routines! Very admirable!

• image HeatherWain:

Beagle- I started Couch to 5k this past weekend! I'm doing a 5K May 22nd. So far, so good. We shall see though. I'm kind of a lazy mother effer so I'm hoping to stick with this.

We'll stick with it together, because I'm a lazy mofo too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And Tiana- a good sports bra is essential.  I don't want the girlies hitting me in the face or anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My current workout routine is basically nil.  It consists of walking/waddling to the bathroom, catching my breath, walking/waddling back to the couch, catching my breath.  Break.

I'm going to try to do some more work in the pool again at the gym to help with my back until the baby gets here.  I miss lifting weights but I just can't do it. 

For those with lady lumps.  I highly recommend the Enell Sports Bra.  It's expensive, ugly, but it works.  http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Enell10058&source=gbasepa&term=Enell10058&cm_mmc=GLBA-_-Bra-_-Enell10058-_-NA&aff=GAN

• I used to teach 6 classe a week..can't do that anymore, its too hard with a child so now I teach 2. Mondays I teach a boxing classing the evenings. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings I meet my sister at the gym at 6am, we do 30-40 minutes of cardio and then lift, Saturday mornings I teach kickboxing. Friday and Sunday I don't workout.

• I run 3x a week and lift 2x a week.  I am actually on week 6 of C25K and looking forward to finishing up!!

Sam - I am currently looking for a new lifting routine! Thanks for the idea on the New Rules of Lifting for Women!

• Wow, I am being inspired!  I tried C25K and hated it.  But I also hate running.  I love love lifting and will do classes or eliptical/bike or swim.  My big event is next Friday, so once that's over and I'm done working 80 hrs a week I have made a pact with myself to get back to the gym.  I also think I'm going to attempt to do South Beach again.