August 2006 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

(@) C&P from 1st Tri

http://www.thenestbaby.com/stages/stage.aspx?stage=trimester1&ForumID=420

DH has such a big mouth and wants to tell everyone we're PG. I'm so not ready to yet and he understands and will follow through b/c its important to me. So our parents know right now and no one else. That said, my brother lives five hours away and will be in town this weekend so we decided to tell him in person. So I told my dad I'd let him know when he knew so he could talk to someone about it, he mentioned it to his wife, who apparently had a tangent about what about her kids? (who are 18 and 23 and barely say hello to me when I walk into the house -- and we've known them since they were 3 and 8). My husband's brothers don't know either and won't know until the end first tri. I was just like Dad, we want to tell people in person. We'll tell that side of the family when we see them in November. My brother wouldn't know either if he weren't coming in.

The family politics of three sides, remarriages, etc. are getting absurd. I swear the amount of aggravation we're going through is ridiculous. I cry constantly about nothing except these stupid headaches and then call my mom or vent to you guys.

So I apologize for venting again but if anyone's been in my crazy shoes, advice is appreciated. I really can't figure out if I'm totally off base on this or what. 

-------------------------------------------------

I guess I don't get why this is such a big thing to be crying over and whatnot. Why can't her own siblings know? I would 100% want to know what my own siblings are dealing with, and would think that mine would care enough about me to want to know too. And I come from a blended family and can't stand the whole "i don't want 'them' to know" mentality. What, do you have the golden uterus? Only the most awesome people can know what your uterus is doing when? And waiting til 12 weeks of all things to tell your own immediate family?

odd odd odd odd. 

Re: (@) C&P from 1st Tri

• So I told my dad I'd let him know when he knew so he could talk to someone about it, he mentioned it to his wife, who apparently had a tangent about what about her kids? (who are 18 and 23 and barely say hello to me when I walk into the house

It doesn't sound like she has a great relationship with her step-family so I don't see why she should feel obligated to tell them earlier.  It sounds a little different than the relationship you have with your siblings.  But at the end of the day if she wanted to save herself some aggravation she should just not tell anyone until the end of the first tri. 

• I think it is reasonable not to tell many people until late in your first trimester. I know too many women who have told everyone they knew early and had miscarriages. And then had to deal with telling everyone they lost their baby. A big PITA.

Could be a control issue for the OP but it is her choice in the end.

• The problem is, once you start telling a few people, you're basically telling everyone (at least when it comes to family). I understand not wanting everybody to know, but it's almost impossible unless you have a family of CIA agents who can all keep secrets.

I also think the 'crying all the time' is totally overreacting, which could either be understandably the result of hormones or less understandably, the result of being a drama queen. 

"I
  • image AlisaS:

I think it is reasonable not to tell many people until late in your first trimester. I know too many women who have told everyone they knew early and had miscarriages. And then had to deal with telling everyone they lost their baby. A big PITA.

Could be a control issue for the OP but it is her choice in the end.

I guess that's my point though because I would want to know if my own sister had a m/c and visa versa, great relationship or not, kwim? I can't think of too many other "come to jesus", argument ending events than a m/c. 

I 100% understand the whole thing about "everyone" knowing, but it sounds like the two stepbrothers live under the same roof as the parents. Thats not "everyone" - its immediate family.

• I dunno, I agree with the girl. Having a miscarraige really sucks, and having to tell people about it sucks more.

And even without miscarriages, it's nice to have a secret between oneself and one's husband. I'd rather keep it just between us for as long as I can.

• I wouldn't tell my immediate family until at least 10 weeks. We are very close, but I don't want to have to tell everyone if there is a miscarriage. It would make it even harder.

I am from a blended family so I get what you are saying but she said she isn't close to them It is a them vs us in her family. They aren't her siblings in her mind. Every family is different. Just because you are close to your half/step siblings doesn't mean everyone is.