Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

HAPpy EASter!

SO, i'm going to assume you remember my family drama that's taken place recently (my sister and I fighting, my nephew having his lip pierced and my dad stopping all comunication with him, which has resulted in my parents fighting often about the subject)

My mom wants us all together for easter dinner in Sunday.   Should be pretty quiet.

Re: HAPpy EASter!

• Are you going?

3 out of 4 dead babies agree! pepsi is better than coke! - EdithBouvierBeale
    Lordy. Grow some balls and stop lurking. It's like stealing from the internet. Jesuschrist. -- AudreyHorne
    I hate love and marriage. I got married so I could destroy these things from the inside. - NoisyPenguin
    It's a good thing my circle of trust is as giant as my vagina. That only leaves a couple people out. - Cali
  • Yes, because I love my mother.  i will be polite, friendly and drink a lot of wine.
  • I still don't think I understand why you and your sister are fighting.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I can already hear the silverware tinking against the plates like in one of those uncomfortable dinner table scenes from the Brady Bunch.
    image Guess who?
  • I too am looking forward to Sunday (insert sarcasm here).  My SIL decided that my H and I would host brunch.  So, she, her H, and their kid (Devil Niece if anybody recalls my stories) are coming down on Saturday and staying at a hotel.

However, due to some quick comments made by my MIL and SIL, I have the sneaking suspicion that SIL is planning to drop her kid off at our place relatively early on Saturday so that my MIL will babysit her at our place (notice that nobody has cleared this with my H and me).  MIL has also mentioned that SIL and BIL plan to go out that night, so my H and I should go out too and MIL will watch both kids at our place.  This then also leads me to fear that SIL is just planning on leaving her kid at our house all night.

I don't like Easter.  We aren't even religious.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sounds delightful! Hope your nephew doesn't get his fork caught on his lip ring.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Sounds like a blast, Sam.  I hope it is as painless as possible.

My SIL decided that my H and I would host brunch.

Hmm I don't really understand how this is possible.  Why not say no?
  • I'm trying to put this into a nutshell.   She treats everyone, close to her or otherwise, as her personal whipping post.   She has a terrible temper, a whoa is me attitude and sense of entitlement, and an enormous chip on her shoulder.   She has pushed everyone out of her life because eventually she turns on them and blames her problems on them.  the turning point came when she informed me I was an unsupportive sister who was never there for her. 

I've gotten her jobs (one with my BIL.   She quit, no notice.  made me look like a class A idiot)  i've written her letters of recc. and resumes.   i've sat and listened while she blames everyone else for her problems.   I've taken her out with my friends because she has none of her own.   I've (very wrongly) sided with her in disputes with my husband just to keep the peace.

i've had enough.

• I think when the Catholics decided Easter was a Holy Day of Obligation, they knew exactly what they were talking about.

3 out of 4 dead babies agree! pepsi is better than coke! - EdithBouvierBeale
    Lordy. Grow some balls and stop lurking. It's like stealing from the internet. Jesuschrist. -- AudreyHorne
    I hate love and marriage. I got married so I could destroy these things from the inside. - NoisyPenguin
    It's a good thing my circle of trust is as giant as my vagina. That only leaves a couple people out. - Cali
  • image KristenBtobe:
    Sounds delightful! Hope your nephew doesn't get his fork caught on his lip ring.

Oh, he won't be eating.   He'll be upstairs where my father "doesn't have to look at those goddamned things.   It's like he knew I'd be furious and just decided FUCKYOU, GRANDPA"

• That sounds delightfully awkward, Sam.  I'd start my wine consumption early that day.

Vinny, your SIL always sounds like she needs a swift kick in the pants.  I don't think I'd have the patience for her at all.

Our Easter Sunday will be spent having a "birthday party" for our nephew.  I put it in quotations because I suspect it's more just an excuse for all the parents to get together to cook out and drink beer and let the kids run around like crazy people for a while.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I'm just not particularly comfortable with this group of people, all of whom are from a small town, and I just always feel squirmy and awkward when we're around all of them. And it brings out this bizarre severe Texas twang accent in J when he's around all of them, and he feels the need to drop the F-bomb every other word, it's like he gets temporarily abducted by redneck aliens.  It's ridiculous.  And horrifying.

• image samfish2bcrab:

image KristenBtobe:
    Sounds delightful! Hope your nephew doesn't get his fork caught on his lip ring.

Oh, he won't be eating.   He'll be upstairs where my father "doesn't have to look at those goddamned things.   It's like he knew I'd be furious and just decided FUCKYOU, GRANDPA"

Ugh, dude.  Sucky. 

Your sister stories have sounded pretty bad.  Hang in there and enjoy your drunkenness.

• image rosenjoe:

My SIL decided that my H and I would host brunch.

Hmm I don't really understand how this is possible.  Why not say no?

Cause then I wouldn't be able to come here and share my stories of crazy.  I'm doing it for the greater good, really.  You're welcome.  :)

• image Vinny2008:
    Cause then I wouldn't be able to come here and share my stories of crazy.  I'm doing it for the greater good, really.  You're welcome.  :)
    Don't think I don't appreciate your sacrifice for my entertainment.  I just don't understand how someone gets away with inviting the family over to your house/forcing you into hosting brunch. 
  • Steal her giftcards, Sam. You too, Vinny.

• Ugh.   She traded her giftcards for crack.
  • I  miss my family terribly, especially around the holidays. Then I hear stories like these and am thankful that they are 3,000 miles away.
  • image rosenjoe:
    image Vinny2008:
    Don't think I don't appreciate your sacrifice for my entertainment.  I just don't understand how someone gets away with inviting the family over to your house/forcing you into hosting brunch. 

I'm amazed at how many otherwise kickass women on this board get walked over in the name of family/friendship/fear of confrontation. 

• I do not understand not saying no. I mean, I realize it is hard, but isn't fighting and ruining a family day worse? And if you do it because you love your mom and it turns into a disaster, isn't that worse really?
  • But in this particular case, why not go?  Surely Sam can suck it up and not engage her sister for a couple hours.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • image FallinAgain:

I'm amazed at how many otherwise kickass women on this board get walked over in the name of family/friendship/fear of confrontation. 

Perhaps it was my Italian/Catholic upbringing, but it surprises me that it amazes you. 

I guess I was just raised to believe that family is the pain in your a$$ that you suck up and deal with.  For us, we see this side of the family very infrequently.  It is my husband's family.  He had a rocky childhood due to his parents' nasty divorce and his sister's obvious tendancy toward rage.  Now as an adult, he doesn't want to live through that $hit anymore.  He grinds his teeth and puts up with them during their visits and then he doesn't have to give it a damn thought until the next time.  I married into this family and I choose to go along with his methods of coping.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• I've got a sister that sounds EXACTLY like Sam's.  She's been on and off meds for years, still lives with my parents and makes their life a living hell.  Nothing is ever her fault and the whole world is out to get her.  I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever in cutting her out of my life, and may one day have to do the same with my parents if they keep indulging her awful behaviour.  I have no room in my life for someone who wants to make everyone around them miserable.   Where's TSD?  She's always around to support "the blood isn't thicker than water" side of this debate.
  • These two situations (crazyasssister and face piercing nephew) are currently polarizing my family.

Dad: Agrees my sister is unreasonable, temperamental and should not be coddled.   Thinks by not speaking to nephew or giving him money (his main source of extra cash) he can force him to take out lip rings.

Mom: Agrees my sister is unreasonalbe, but that it's just her personality and because we're sisters i need to suck it up.   She tries to "help" my sister by being supportive, but it just validates her craziness.  Think my dad will drive nephew away.

Sister:  Thinks Dad is unreasonable, I am too much like him and am unsupportive.   Thinks it is out of her control what the 16 year old living under her roof does with his face.

So, by no means do i allow her to walk over me, I will give my opinion.   However, my athiest mom is the sweetest lady on earth and if she wants to promote familial peace by cooking a turkey in honour of the death of Jesus, doggone it I'll eat it.

• My H has work and while I haven't seen my mom in a while I don't feel like going up to North Jersey alone just to go out to dinner.

I kinda wish I knew someone around here having a crazy family event that I could sit on the sidelines for and watch drama unfold. 

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • image shanollee:

That sounds delightfully awkward, Sam.  I'd start my wine consumption early that day. 

This is why I have forsaken Easter for Passover.  The seder calls for everyone to drink 4 glasses of wine.  Getting drunk to better tolerate obnoxious relatives is built into the program.

Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • this is why I will again spend Easter with our neighbors/bffs and their families.  bloody marys start at 11:00.
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/fc6xeb.jpg[/IMG]
  • I hear ya Sam. Wine will be your best friend!
  • Turkey's the problem. Ham unites all on Easter, like rolling the stone away from the tomb.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • We can't have ham (my bro and his family are Muslim) and my mom doesn't want to do turkey again so we are having Italian. Note - we are not Italian.