Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How is this even possible?

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/03/31/987295

I understand that people fake pregnancies or genuinely believe themselves to be pregnant when they are not, but how do doctors miss this?  

Re: How is this even possible?

• I cannot get past this

The incident happened at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center

• Huh? How? Didn't they check for a heartbeat? Bueller?
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I have many questions about this, but apparently this woman had no pre-natal care?
  • I didn't realize you could just walk into a hospital and demand a c-section. You'd think they'd do an ultrasound or something to at least make sure the baby was far enough along for it to be safe.

• Supposedly, they tried to induce first and then did the section when she wouldn't go into labor. Were they not monitoring the "fetus" during the induction? Did they do any sort of internal exam before whisking her off to surgery? How are these doctors still being allowed to practice? 
  • image noisy_penguin:
    I didn't realize you could just walk into a hospital and demand a c-section. You'd think they'd do an ultrasound or something to at least make sure the baby was far enough along for it to be safe.

Yeah, that too.  I had a quick ultrasound in triage to make sure the baby was head down.

• image buddhagouda:
    Supposedly, they tried to induce first and then did the section when she wouldn't go into labor. Were they not monitoring the "fetus" during the induction? Did they do any sort of internal exam before whisking her off to surgery? How are these doctors still being allowed to practice? 

When I was induced there was a fetal heart monitor on me at all times. The more I think about it the more messed up it sounds. And if they couldn't find the heartbeat and were all "There's no heartbeat! Quick, we must do a c-section!" I still find it hard to believe they wouldn't do an ultrasound first to determine exactly where the baby was.

• This is counterpoint to all the tort reform arguments.  These are poor excuses for medical professionals.
  • image noisy_penguin:

image buddhagouda:
    Supposedly, they tried to induce first and then did the section when she wouldn't go into labor. Were they not monitoring the "fetus" during the induction? Did they do any sort of internal exam before whisking her off to surgery? How are these doctors still being allowed to practice? 

When I was induced there was a fetal heart monitor on me at all times. The more I think about it the more messed up it sounds. And if they couldn't find the heartbeat and were all "There's no heartbeat! Quick, we must do a c-section!" I still find it hard to believe they wouldn't do an ultrasound first to determine exactly where the baby was.

Or at least an internal