Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

The Road (possible spoilers)

I just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road.  If you've read it, what are your thoughts?  I can't decide if I really liked it or really disliked it.  On one hand, not much really happened during the book, and all the fragments bothered me while I was reading.  On the other hand, he did a great job of creating and describing this terrible world.
~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
Our Blog!
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: The Road (possible spoilers)

• I liked it- totally different, his writing style didn't bother me at all, but I must admit that a lot of the possible symbolism, etc went over my head (based on my internet research after finishing LOL)

I liked how it got at the root of human instinct & survival. Scary thoughts though! 

• While I thought it was written well,  I was too disturbed to like it.  It upset me alot, and I had a hard time finishing it, and then a hard time not thinking about it once I was finished.  I won't be seeing the movie either,  I don't need any more pictures of that book in my head
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I absolutely loved The Road.  I thought it was one of the most powerful books I have ever read.  I can't wait to see the movie.  From what I have read on the internet, it is supposed to follow the book closely, except they expanded the part of the mother (Charlize Theron).

• It was a book I had a hard time picking up, but then once I started reading it I plowed right through.  I thought it was really compelling.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/megangelos/0115.jpg[/IMG]
  • I was not a fan.  The way the book was written annoyed me to no end.
  • I have this book but actually ended up listening to it on cd.  The writing style didn't bother me listening to it but I think it would have had I "read" it.  Once I got into this book, I could not stop thinking about it.  The events in the book were so sad/disturbing that it made it hard to read but I had to know how things turned out.  I knew the book wouldn't have a happy ending and I guess it ended the best it could.  I'm not sure if I liked it or not either but I know it was a powerful book b/c it has stayed with me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image ebat:
    While I thought it was written well,  I was too disturbed to like it.  It upset me alot, and I had a hard time finishing it, and then a hard time not thinking about it once I was finished.  I won't be seeing the movie either,  I don't need any more pictures of that book in my head

It was really disturbing to me too.  I actually didn't finish because I didn't like the way it was making me feel.  I know everyone raves about his writing, but I think its just ok.  He did a great job of creating the bleak atmosphere for the book, but its not my favorite style.   And seriously?  Don't and can't have apostrophes!  I just think that's a really weird grammatical convention to disregard. 

image image
  • image j*&p*:
    And seriously?  Don't and can't have apostrophes!  I just think that's a really weird grammatical convention to disregard. 

Amen

• I hated this book. Truly hated it.  I read it twice because i was so sure I was missing some epiphany that everyone else must have had because they loved it so much.

No, it was dull and pointless the second time too.

McCarthy always writes like that.  It's some stylistic thing.  I actually liked one of his other books, All the Pretty Horses.  The Road just had no story.  

• I am so torn about this book but I enjoyed it more then I didn't. It is just so disturbing and I kept thinking about this book long after I finished it. I'm glad I read it b/c it's so haunting that it's good, I think I'm going to read it again before the movie comes out.
    TTC since April 2008

Me: PCOS/Amenorrhea DH: Azoospermia due to Y Chromosome Micro Deletion IVF w/ ICSI on hold until further notice

Hope

• I had a hard time getting into it but once I got past the first 20 pages or so, I loved it. ?It's one of my favorite books of all time. ?
    imageimage
  • I really enjoyed The Road, and I am looking forward to seeing the movie.  I am a big fan of Cormac McCarthy, and his style of writing.
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/n/nxgabzpt1.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • I loved it - it's one of my favorite books. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time and read it in a day. The writing style was different, but I think it added to the "atmosphere" of the book (if that makes sense).
  • I thought it was excellent.
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne