August 2006 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Maybe I'm just cranky today....

but I'm just wondering whether anyone gets tired of bringing up/commenting on the same anti-Palin topics over and over again.

And yes, I am cranky today....so I have a lot less tolerance.

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

Re: Maybe I'm just cranky today....

• I think it's cathartic for people who disagree with her to discuss those issues repeatedly, particularly when it appears that new information has been revealed through interviews, newspaper articles, etc..

I also think that it's understandable the issues of all stripes will be discussed repeatedly between now and Election Day.  These candidates - all four of them - are in a position to possibly be running the country come January.  I think many of these issues should be hashed and rehashed.

• I am no Palin fan, but even I am getting tired of the "explain/justify/defend why you support her" type of posts.

I think discussing her interviews, the debate, things on the campaign trail are all fair game--for ALL the candidates. But the "defend her/him" posts about ANY candidate are grating.

And nine times out of ten, it's not about wanting to "understand" the way the other side thinks. It's just a way to start bickering.

Maybe it's just the past few days and watching the childishness in Washington, but I'm over bickering. At least for now Wink

• Eh, just answer with the 'what's your point' response.  It seems to be par for the course when items regarding Biden or Obama are brought up.  It helps get out the frustration with the 90+ posts on the same.dang.thing regarding Palin, imo Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't mean this in a snarky way, but just don't open or read any Palin posts. E08 annoys me to no end, so I don't go over there anymore. I don't understand why the faction of crazies over there like to spew ignorance back and forth, but they seem to enjoy it so more power to them. They can have at it, I can stay here and be much less aggravated.
  • I hear ya Brookles...and normally I do.  Sometimes just reading the titles is annoying too however (and I think you guys know I'm not a huge supporter of hers).
    And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
  • image umwife11:

I am no Palin fan, but even I am getting tired of the "explain/justify/defend why you support her" type of posts.

I agree, BUT I think rational, intelligent voices are missing from the Palin support side, and I, for one, am genuinely curious about how the conservatives who are happy, or at least ok, with her feel about the Couric interview, the Pakistan comments, and a whole plethora of other things. 

To be fair, I totally understand why the conservatives are not defending her anymore, but I still wish they would, in a rational way.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Mrs.vtjaime:
    image umwife11:

I am no Palin fan, but even I am getting tired of the "explain/justify/defend why you support her" type of posts.

I agree, BUT I think rational, intelligent voices are missing from the Palin support side, and I, for one, am genuinely curious about how the conservatives who are happy, or at least ok, with her feel about the Couric interview, the Pakistan comments, and a whole plethora of other things. 

To be fair, I totally understand why the conservatives are not defending her anymore, but I still wish they would, in a rational way.

I did that today, and was rewarded with an "you need a valium."  It's hard to make the effort, when you pretty much know that stuff like that will be part of the debate.

• image Mrs.vtjaime:

I just think when it's phrased the way it so often is on E08, you probably turn off the rational supporters from the get-go. Well, that and I don't think there are many rational conservatives over on E08 anymore. I think they're *here,* hiding from the loonies.

I think if people are genuinely interested, there's a way to discuss what Palin is saying/doing, etc. that probably won't get their rankles up. They might just see, "Palin supporters what about XYZ" in a title and don't even bother opening it.

I know I don't bother opening the "OBAMA SUPPORTERS...WHAT ABOUT..." posts anymore. Because right from the start, the tone is often wrong.

• image KateAggie:
    image Mrs.vtjaime:
    image umwife11:

I did that today, and was rewarded with an "you need a valium."  It's hard to make the effort, when you pretty much know that stuff like that will be part of the debate.

Understandable. I'm not going to take the effort and defend her against comments like she's slow, she's simple-minded, she's an idiot.  There's no point at that point.  I'm still excited about her and I'm still supporting the ticket.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. A new beginning Lap Band in Nov. '11
  • image umwife11:
    image Mrs.vtjaime:

I just think when it's phrased the way it so often is on E08, you probably turn off the rational supporters from the get-go. Well, that and I don't think there are many rational conservatives over on E08 anymore. I think they're *here,* hiding from the loonies.

Also, the first responders are usually the liberal loonies, which shut debate down before it even begins. Major kudos to KatieAggie for even trying after that BS today, you obviously deserved a better response than that.

I really skip over most of E08, I actually just skim for the rational conservatives ('cause the libs I either agree with or they embarrass me). This exercise reminds me they're mostly over here, and I come back.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It would be great if more suporters were able to give their reasoned answers without "do you really think this" or "she's a ***" (saw this gem today by K&K).  Post titles say A Lot and the old board is not solely to blame.  I think it is almost a lost cause, imo, which is sad for even when people defend Biden or posts stances of his that I do not agree with, I can look beyond my own biases (since I am not an Obama supporter) to agree with their thought processes.  I do not think the same is granted to the "other side"-even from regulars. Of course it is my opinion, but I don't think I am alone in thinking so or observing.

Also, when people do give reasoned responses-it is almost like some don't want to hear it or respond.  I have given defense and facts and then ::crickets::.  Kind of ends debate when I start talking to myself and answering myself (or, maybe that just means I am a little nuts)---not sure.

• I am tired of it too when I lurk over there.

Her entire life is being put under the microscope as happens in an election. And she is the new face so I believe that is why the posts are so numerous. We could start picking apart Biden because we all know he isn't perfect - his gaffes of late or go back to when he plagerized etc. No one is perfect - not McCain, not Obama.

I don't say I am thrilled she is on the ticket but I don't think she is stupid. She obviously was smart enough to succeed in Alaska where I would think it would be harder for women than in most places considering the male population far outnumbers the female population.

I think she is dedicated to her work and obviously her country in accepting this nomination.

I am waiting for the debates to see how she performs. It won't change my mind in voting for McCain but at least I will feel I have given her a chance to show herself.

• I'll be honest and admit that I cannot stand Palin's views. She is probably my swinging factor to push me to vote for Obama/Biden (still techincally undecided). I don't think I can properly express how much I cannot stand her views.

That being said, I think its out of control. I've given up on the old board. I don't even check it. I also think the absurd emails about Palin have overtaken the absurd emails I used to get about Obama. Craziness.  

• I understand what you guys are saying. I really do.

But, (and caden, I'm not picking on you, this is just one that is fresh in my mind), when someone I respect like caden defends the rape kit thing, on THIS board, and doesn't respond to rational posters like ESF, it really sticks in my craw.

I think a lot of the regular conservatives are so fed up (understandably so) that the instinct (even on this board) is snark, because feelings have been hurt. Or something. I don't know, I'm rambling. I guess for me it comes down to the fact that I am quite literally, and with all due respect, confounded by Sarah Palin and her supporters, and I want someone I respect from the "other" side (caden, pville, tef, vermont, kate, meganne, etc.) to explain it to me. ETA: Explain it to me while addressing the reasonable critiques against her (not her 17 year old pregnant daughter, for example).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Mrs.vtjaime:

I think a lot of the regular conservatives are so fed up (understandably so) that the instinct (even on this board) is snark, because feelings have been hurt. Or something. I don't know, I'm rambling. I guess for me it comes down to the fact that I am quite literally, and with all due respect, confounded by Sarah Palin and her supporters, and I want someone I respect from the "other" side (caden, pville, tef, vermont, kate, meganne, etc.) to explain it to me.

Well, I am from the other side and I can't defend her (I view her as the woman who came between McCain and me, LOL), so I'm no good in this regard.

But I will echo what one of the PPs above said.  I tend to play devil's advocate but I try to be very rational (I never play it just to be a jerk).  Often I find that no one responds to what I say.  Up to this point, I have just assumed it was because I'm not a regular poster and so people ignore me.

• image Mrs.vtjaime:

But, (and caden, I'm not picking on you, this is just one that is fresh in my mind), when someone I respect like caden defends the rape kit thing, on THIS board, and doesn't respond to rational posters like ESF, it really sticks in my craw.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Since when do I not respond to ESF? I have never said I supported the gov't not paying for rape kits. In fact I have stated numerous times I don't support that policy. What I defended was Palin's role in that myth - and even Salon, a left-wing outfit, called it a myth.?

Ditto all the conservatives in this thread. I never go to E08 anymore and I almost never open the anti-palin threads on this board. After a regular called Palin retarded (slow but we all know what was meant) and no liberal called out this regular, that was it for me. I ignore these kinds of posts. It's not worth it. ?

• image Mrs.vtjaime:

I understand what you guys are saying. I really do.

I think a lot of the regular conservatives are so fed up (understandably so) that the instinct (even on this board) is snark, because feelings have been hurt. Or something. I don't know, I'm rambling. I guess for me it comes down to the fact that I am quite literally, and with all due respect, confounded by Sarah Palin and her supporters, and I want someone I respect from the "other" side (caden, pville, tef, vermont, kate, meganne, etc.) to explain it to me. ETA: Explain it to me while addressing the reasonable critiques against her (not her 17 year old pregnant daughter, for example).

First of all, thanks for the vote of confidence jaime.  Personally, I think I get overwhelmed with some of these posts (for example, the rape kit posts...there was one where hrparker and caden went back and forth and I just couldn't stick with it).  I will be honest that a lot of the time, I just don't have the attention span for some of the longer posts.  With respect to that whole issue, I'm not convinced that she was in the wrong, but I'm not convinced that she was not.  I think the left is too quick to assume the worst about her.

If it makes things any clearer, I felt the same way you do about Palin as I did with the immediate (and overwhelming) support that Obama got at the beginning of his candidacy.  I really do not see a difference there.  Maybe Palin just needs more time to prove herself...I don't know.  I don't think that she has been working towards the VP spot all her political career...which DOES make a difference in her ability to talk about the issues, etc.  However, I do think that Obama has been eyeing the top post for some time now and therefore has been preparing for it.  Hence, he does very well in debates and interviews.

There's probably more I could say, but hubby and I have a date at 8PM! :-)

• image lyssbobiss:
    I'm actually pretty over it, myself.  I don't hang over on E08 anymore, but I even worry that the posts here will cause the conservatives to shy away from this board.

I agree with this as well. Many already have-too many in my opinion.

• I never go on the new board. Tried it, read a post or two by OhnoVa and a few other crazy people (crazy liberals! crazy conservatives! Brainless responses!) and it just got me down.

I know I always bang on about religion, but I have to say the election discussion there has got just like a religious argument IMO. 2 different gods are worshipped, no one is looking at the facts, and everyone is attacking each other for being "wrong". No one can admit that their candidate has faults, and thats just daft, because its obvious that they all do.?
    I just dont get it.?
    And, also like arguing religion, its a waste of time. People belive what they want to believe, in the end. And the internet allows them to back up any argument they like because...they simply arent interested in truth. They just want reassurance that they are right.

Me? I am often wrong. I am content with it lol.?