Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

? about increasing my run distance

Hi girls - I recently completed the C25K and did my first 5k earlier this month.  I read somewhere that you should only increase your run distance/time by 10% a week to avoid injury and fatigue.  I'm  currently running 3.6 miles during my run.  When you increase should u increase each run or only start out doing 1 a week?  Sorry if this is confusing.  TIA Kel

Re: ? about increasing my run distance

• The 10% rule of thumb applies to your total weekly mileage.

E.g., if you ran 20 miles total last week, don't do more than 22 miles total the following week.

• If you increase each run about 10% then that equates to only a 10% increase in that week. So I have done it both ways before. I have increased each run by 10% and I have also only increased one run by 10% of my weekly mileage (not my daily mileage.)  I think that you could do it either way.

• Personally, I feel better when I increase only one of my runs per week as opposed to increasing all of my runs by a little bit...that gives your body a better rest period in between your newly lengthened runs.  This lets you build toward having one particularly long run per week with the others being shorter, a pretty common training schedule.