Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

After wedding questions....

Questions:
1) For those that made their own chuppah....what did you do with it after the wedding? We'd like to think of creative ways to use the wood or material since it had so much meaning but can't think of any....

2) I was one of those brides that bought a dress then changed my mind 6 months later and bought another one....thinking of selling both the never worn one and the one I wore....what's the best way to go about that?

3) What did you do with your wedding shoes after the wedding (if they were the traditional/ white kind)?

4)Any tips on making the name change process smoother?

TIA!!

Diana

Re: After wedding questions....

• 1) For those that made their own chuppah....what did you do with it after the wedding? We'd like to think of creative ways to use the wood or material since it had so much meaning but can't think of any.... We didn't have a chuppah, and I'm not even sure if there would be enough wood but if there is what about making some sort of keepsake box/chest out of it?

2) I was one of those brides that bought a dress then changed my mind 6 months later and bought another one....thinking of selling both the never worn one and the one I wore....what's the best way to go about that? I would think either Craigslist or eBay would be great places to start.

3) What did you do with your wedding shoes after the wedding (if they were the traditional/ white kind)? Sadly, mine are still sitting with a bunch of other wedding stuff in a tote in our storage unit! I had planned on doing some sort of shadow box frame with some items but never got around to it...

4)Any tips on making the name change process smoother? I honestly didn't think this was too difficult... The one thing I would say is don't put it off for too long. I just set aside a day to get everything done- social security and drivers license offices were the most time-consuming.
  • 1-if you have a yard you could make a trellis, or something for over a gate. What about using it to make picture frames for your wedding pictures?

2-There's a couple websites that specialize in selling wedding dresses, I would just google and see what you find

3-My shoes were wedgey flip flops for the beach so I just kept wearing them!

4-Taking one day off to do everything is a great idea.  Bring a book and something to drink too.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/29mmyd3.jpg[/IMG]
  • 1) For those that made their own chuppah....what did you do with it after the wedding? We'd like to think of creative ways to use the wood or material since it had so much meaning but can't think of any....

N/A

2) I was one of those brides that bought a dress then changed my mind 6 months later and bought another one....thinking of selling both the never worn one and the one I wore....what's the best way to go about that?

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/

3) What did you do with your wedding shoes after the wedding (if they were the traditional/ white kind)?

I wore mine for the ceremony only then changed into my reception shoes...they've been worn a grand total of about 1 hour and they're sitting in a box on my dresser!

4)Any tips on making the name change process smoother?

It's not that difficult you just need to make the time to do it.  Do your driver's license first.  Check with the DOL office closest to you and ask them what their least busy time is.  DON'T do it on a Saturday!!  Soc Security seems to be easier if you can get there first thing in the morning, but again it depends on the location.  Good luck!

• 1.  I would think the wood would make a great picture frame as well. 

2.  Ebay, Craigslist

3. I had white crocs and still wear them.

4. Change your Social Secuirty and Drivers license.  And give them time to get to you.  It took about a week for me to get mine, and most places couldn't do anything with out one of those cards.  Even My job had to wait until I got my new social secuirty card.

• As for the name change- don't go to the Soc Security office the first Monday or Friday of the month.  That's what the security guard told me as I was waiting there for hours.  I was like, oh good advice that would have been helpful before I got here.
    I'll cut you.
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/34r6jya.jpg[/IMG]
  • 1.  I'd incorporate it into my garden :)

2.  Craig's List :)

3.  I'm planning a way to display my wedding dress, and my shoes will be peeking out from beneath it.

4.  Just take the day and get it done :)

• From what I've read before, if you go to the SS office around the last hour before they close, worst case scenario, you know you'll only be there for an hour. I waited about two and a half hours when I went. I guess they are ususally pretty good about closing on time so they need everyone out of there by the time the clock strikes closing hour. So they'll be much faster with everyone ahead of you! Don't know the truth to it but it's worth a shot :)

Also, as far as the shoes go, mine weren't white but they're just a smidge too big, so I haven't been able to wear them again :( They fit OK to be under a dress but not OK to wear with a short skirt or something where you could see the size difference. We have a shelf in our house that has a big photo collage sitting on it, our framed marriage license and my shoes sitting next to it. If you've got a white pair you'd like to wear again though, maybe take them to a shoe place to get them dyed to a color you'd be more apt to wear?? I'm still holding onto mine in the event I get lucky and my feet grow a bit someday (I hear it can happen after pregnancy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that to happen when the time comes! lol)

• Hi,

First of all  happy sweet new year.Our chuppa was given to us from the shul.But from what you are saying you need to supply the stracture as well. Can you use it as a perogala in your house-apartment or you parenst place.I know that some people keep the material for another family wedding or for a bris if you have a boy.

The never worn one I would try and sell on e-mail.Just take a lot of pictures of it from all angles and give th correct mesurmnets.If the dress you work is in good shape, you may try and sell that on e-mail as well.

I thik I wore tham once,they are so not in style and it did not really go with the clothes I had.I think I donated it.

Sorry can't help you there/