International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

teething

Does teething make them not want to eat (like take away their appetite), or just hurt and get irritated that it hurts when they want to eat, so they get cranky?

I'm struggling with W - he nurses for a little, pulls off, and is very angry. I don't think it's wind/gas. I hate to give him tylenol, but am worried he's just not eating much, and getting more and more frustrated. But maybe I'm imagining it??

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)

Re: teething

• I don't know, it hasn't affected Milo's appetite, but that's not to say it's not affecting W's.

Have you tried teethers so he can get some relief?  Maybe it'll help him eat for longer?

Good luck, teething sucks!

• p.s. I can't believe W is 3 months old already?!  How did that happen??
  • That's the thing -I'm not sure it has. That's why I think he's so angry - it interferes with him eating as much as he'd like. He's not interested in teethers, likes his hands...
  • The only teether Milo was interested in was Sophie the griaffe.  We bought him loads of others, some that you put in the fridge, all different shapes and textures and he still loves Sophie.

He also loves his fingers and still shoves them so far down his throat he gags.  He's been doing it for months now and I thought he'd grow out of it...hopefully he'll figure out how gross it is before his first date.

• Ooh, I'll look that up now!

I thought W was the only one - but thought he'd learn some day?? Oh dear... Has Milo got any teeth thru yet?

• NO!  I cannot wait until the first ones come so we can have some peace around here!  Plus, I feel so sorry for him.  He is going through bibs like crazy because he is drooling non stop and unless he's chewing on something he gets really whiny.  Poor guy!

Andrea told me about Sophie and I am so so thankful!

http://www.sophielagirafe.co.uk/p/option_page/1/

• can you see them coming at all? we can see little bits of white, which I hope don't take months to come in :(

what else do you use to help Milo? W is soooo uncomfortable right now. I'e tried baby bonjela, and givign him things to chew on, but he's still really whingy. I don't want to resort to tylenol, but am wondering if I ought to, so he can eat properly.

• We've given him a cool damp wash cloth to chew on and Ashton and Parsons Infant's powders although Sophie is the only thing that always works.

We've not used any medication, but if he was really upset I would.

• I think it's because it's interfering with his feeding. Ugh. This is so hard. I don't want to use it, but odn't know what else to do. And I don't know why, if chewing on things is supposed to feel good (and seems to), why nursing is so painful??
  • I say trust your insticts.  If you think it's affecting his eating and a bit of Tylenol will help, give it a try.
  • I'm so frustrated now. I worried for an hour, finally gave in and gave W tylenol, and less than 15min later, he's nursing to sleep - tpp soon for it to make a difference!!!!! Double ugh!!
  • I only read the first couple of replies but, yes that can happen with the nursing.  It's frustrating.  I supose it's more frustrating for them but, man I wish these teeth would come in!  V has been teething without anything coming through for a couple of months now.  Today is one of her fussier clingy days.
  • Teething can affect their appetites definately. Their mouths are sore and anything touching it can make it worse. There is nothing wrong with giving your baby Tylenol/Calpol/Nurofen to make them feel more comfortable so that they can eat, you are then doing them more good than harm.

(James' first top tooth came through last night) 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers