I know I gave up the Nest for Lent but Ann told me she posted about Paisley and I wanted to come on to say thank you for all the good thoughts and wishes both here and on FB.
Last Thursday I was finishing up packing the car to leave for the airport and came back into the house to get the dogs out of Niko's room and close the door so they couldn't go in there while I was gone. Paisely was where I could barely reach her and completely unresponsive. I had to take the mattresses off to get her out. I thought she was already gone and jumped in the car to get her to my vet. At that point it was 2.5 hours before my flight.
She was completley limp and not responding to anything when I took her in and my intention, if she was still alive, was to have her put down and go on to the airport. She was almost 16. My regular vet found a heartbeat and hooked her up to an IV. Then he told me that she'd probalby had a seizure and was just sleeping it off. I didn't go to vet school but I'm not stupid. She was gone for all intentional purposes. When I questioned him about that he told me if they just gave her fluids she'd perk right up and made a comment about not putting down a dog that was going to be just fine.
When I asked him how long it would take, because I had a flight to catch (wondering if I needed to change to a later flight) he got very short with me and told me he could treat her until the end of buisness (another hour) but if I planned on just leaving her that way I should just take her to the emergency room vet in Parker. So after 45 minutes, lots of confusion and $300 for nothing, I took her to the ER.
I told the vet there what my regular vet had said and what he had done and she was confused. It was well over an hour since I'd found her at that point and there was zero change. She told me it was very obvious that, even if Paisley had had a seizure, it had caused serious damage. I asked about having her stay for the weekend to see if things would change before making a decision and she told me she would likely be in the same condition when I got home and assured me it was the right thing to do and that I was not being hasty by making the choice then. Especially in light of her age. So, 1 hour before my flight I let her go after almost 16 years together.
With some insane driving and lots of sprinting I did make my flight as they were boarding the last of the passengers and then I bawled in the bathroom most of the way to Tucson. I'm at a loss what to do about my regular vet though. I feel like he was a real jerk and was either blowing smoke up my ass about her condition or else he's just clueless. When I asked him about putting her down he really made me feel like I was a horrible person for even thinking it. I feel like I didn't get enough time with her when she passed because he essentially refused to do it and made me go elsewhere for something that was so obvious. I really don't feel like I trust him to take Rocco there any more.
Anyway, I just came home to only one dog for the first time in 14 years and it just feels wierd. Too quiet. Haven't figured out what I'm going to tell N when he comes home tonight either. But mostly, I just wanted to say thanks to the Nesties though. I miss you ladies and will be back in a few more weeks.ETA: Despite the horrible beginning, Tucson was good. I really needed to be with my horse and other animal people after that and was able to make the best of some time away to at least be still and reflect. I'm glad I did still go.