Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

running vs cycling

hi! i normally post on some of the other boards, but this is my first time here.

i race bicycles, and i train a lot. during the season i ride about 100 miles a week. as a change during this off season, i began to run in order to keep my cardio up, but i am finding that i am losing too much weight.

on an average 20 mile bike ride, i will burn 1000-1200 calories. when running, i have been doing 3 miles in 25 minutes, working on speed intervals at 9.0-9.5, my heart rate clock says i am only burning about 300-330 calories. i was running 4-5 times a week.

what is the difference and why am i shedding weight while i run, but not when i cycle?

note: i don't need to lose weight, nor am i trying. 

thanks!!

thanks!

Re: running vs cycling

• They say you burn 100 calories a mile, whether you're running or walking.

I can't imagine that number of calories on a 20 mile ride.  I average something like 45 calories a mile when I ride.  I guess I'm not riding hard enough!

I've found that I lose weight as a runner because I work harder...I have a tendency to not work hard enough on my bike.

BTW, just for kicks, what do you ride?  I love my S-Works Ruby :)

• i ride a titanium merlin on the road and a dolan on the track.

my ride today was 25 miles, 1300 feet of climbing for a total of 1200 calories. we averaged about 15 mph. on a flat ride we average about 18-19 mph for 35 miles. 

the team i rode for last year was sponsored by specialized, i couldnt bear to part with my merlin. 

• IMO, your calorie counts are WAY off. I burn about 400-450 calories an hour when I ride. I'm the H&F board's "resident cyclist" of up to 200 miles/week during race season (been racing since 1998, raced track for a few years, raced road for a few years, long time XC mountain bike racer, long time cyclocross racer, etc., etc.). The reason you lose more weight running is because your body is efficient at burning calories when cycling. When you do an activity/exercise for years, your body becomes used to it. When you cross train or take up a new sport, it takes time for your body to become efficient at burning calories when you do that sport. My bet is that you are burning closer to 400 calories/hour rather than 800. You MIGHT burn 800 calories an hour riding a bike if you were 300 pounds, which I bet you aren't. Keep in mind that male riders in the Tour De France burn 4000-5000 calories/day over the course of a 4-6 hour stage.
  • image Sadlebred:
    IMO, your calorie counts are WAY off. I burn about 400-450 calories an hour when I ride. I'm the H&F board's "resident cyclist" of up to 200 miles/week during race season (been racing since 1998, raced track for a few years, raced road for a few years, long time XC mountain bike racer, long time cyclocross racer, etc., etc.). The reason you lose more weight running is because your body is efficient at burning calories when cycling. When you do an activity/exercise for years, your body becomes used to it. When you cross train or take up a new sport, it takes time for your body to become efficient at burning calories when you do that sport. My bet is that you are burning closer to 400 calories/hour rather than 800. You MIGHT burn 800 calories an hour riding a bike if you were 300 pounds, which I bet you aren't. Keep in mind that male riders in the Tour De France burn 4000-5000 calories/day over the course of a 4-6 hour stage.

It sounds like too much to me as well. For my 90 minute indoor ride yesterday I burned a little over 700 calories. I have never burned 1000 calories in an hour of cycling or running. Not saying it's impossible, I just have never done it.

• DH rides-used to do it a lot more and wasn't nec losing weight..., but when he added running in, he was def working different muscles than before and felt it helped with his riding-(Mountain bike vs. street bike).  Now, he combines mtn/street/ and running into his routine and has evened out.  Maybe the change in physical activity did it for your body?

Not that I'm helping here at all, but it could be...