Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

apparently...

I'm a "mean" runner.. This is what my sister said after our race on Saturday. She was telling me how she talked to this person, this person, and this person while she was running.. I was like hm, I didn't talk to anyone. She said "Yeah, you are a mean runner"

Am I "mean" because I don't talk to other runners? I mean if someone talks to me of course i will talk, but i'm not going to start a conversation. That is just not my personality. I am not an out going person, but it got me to thinking.. 

WDYT?

http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com

Re: apparently...

• im very outgoing, i talk to strangers all over the place.  i do not talk to people when im racing though.  first of all, i cant - im running way too hard to be able to think, let alone carry on a conversation.  second, im focusing on what im doing, not to who is around me. third, i wouldnt want someone talking to me, so why would i talk to someone else?  before a race and after a race, ill talk to anyone, not during.  and i dont think that's mean either :)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • LOL!  That's funny. 

no, I don't think you're mean.  I don't strike up conversations during a race either.  I will usually say good job to someone that I pass or to someone that passes me, but not much more than that - especially if I'm putting forth some effort and actually racing it.

• Overly chatty runners during a race annoy me. Heck, one of my running friends cannot.stop.talking when we're *not* racing and it grates on me!

I might say hi, or encourage a runner who seems to be struggling, but I'm not a conversationalist, whether it's during races or regular runs. IMO you're *normal* not mean.

• My CC coach in high school used to yell at us for talking.  He would tell us that is we can talk we aren't running hard enough.
    "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
  • Thanks Ladies!  I told my sister & my H, i'm not there to make friends, or to talk, i'm there to run. I get in a zone and I can't carry on a conversation.
  • LOL.  I am definitely a mean runner.  I get focused and have this intense look on my face.  I totally zone out and get very internal just focusing on my garmin and talking to myself (in my head).  Today at my marathon, I hardly talked to anyone and didn't really respond to the crowd.  It is just how I am. I hear stories about people making friends and that just isn't me.  It's okay.  Everyone is different.
  • When my mom and I do long runs together I often have to tell her to shut it!! ;)
  • LOL, there is no way I could talk considering I can hardly even breathe when running!  I guess that would make me mean?  Maybe it's because I'm a beginning, but I REALLY have to focus and muster up a lot of will power just to get through it.

• image GRKaters:

Overly chatty runners during a race annoy me. Heck, one of my running friends cannot.stop.talking when we're *not* racing and it grates on me!

I might say hi, or encourage a runner who seems to be struggling, but I'm not a conversationalist, whether it's during races or regular runs. IMO you're *normal* not mean.

Ditto. I don't even like DH talking to me when we run together. A couple check ins here and there, other than that, silence. 

• image iheartryan:
    LOL.  I am definitely a mean runner.  I get focused and have this intense look on my face.  I totally zone out and get very internal just focusing on my garmin and talking to myself (in my head).  Today at my marathon, I hardly talked to anyone and didn't really respond to the crowd.  It is just how I am. I hear stories about people making friends and that just isn't me.  It's okay.  Everyone is different.

i was totally talking to myself in my head. for the last 3 miles i was talking myself up. lol. 

• I raced alone on Saturday and didn't talk to anyone during the race. A guy did strike up a conversation after the race--the finish line was a mile from where our cars were parked.

I ran a 10K alone last summer and came upon a group of runners wearing t-shirts from the university near my hometown (600 miles from here). I said hi and we chatted about our town a bit, then I went on my merry way. Typically I don't talk to people I don't know during a race, though.

I ran a half marathon with my best friend last year, and we talked on and off throughout the race. It was too long of a race for me to be pushing myself to the limit the entire time! But there were definitely periods of silence, too.

• Um, if I'm racing, I'm not chatting.  I might encourage other runners that I see struggling or exchange a few words with someone I pass or someone that's passing me, but that's about it.

We've been joining a group on long runs for a couple weekends and I'll chat with people then. 

• lol, I don't think that's mean. I don't like to talk during a race either.  It's just not what I'm there for. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers