Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WWYD - 18 mile run

The Glass City Marathon falls on the weekend of my 18 mile run.  I'm considering registering for the full, running 18 miles of it and then walking the last 8.  My friend that's running Bayshore marathon with me at the end of may actually suggested it.  I would rather do that than register for the full and just stop at the 18 mile mark...because then I'd have a DNF next to my name in the results and I don't want that. 

Or - I could just run my 18 miles on my own.

Re: WWYD - 18 mile run

• Having never gone above 16, running 18 miles and then having to hoof it for another 8 before I could sit down sounds like torture. I'd also run the risk of wanting to run MORE than my set distance due to adrenaline, crowds, and my own stupidity, and then I'd probably get hurt.

I'd just run 18 on my own.

See you at Bayshore! :) 

• Is there a half you could run and add 5 miles?
  • I don't think I could walk after running that much of a marathon...I'd have to keep running!  Could you do both?
    Food Blog: Cate's World Kitchen
    Ellie Jane - 9/12/11
    Post-partum races!
    11/6 - Kennedy Drive 8K: 36:27 (7:20 pace)
    12/4 - North Face Trail Half Marathon: 2:10 (9:27 pace)
    12/11 - Arts and Sciences 5K: 21:56 (7:03 pace)
    1/8 - Golden Gate Park 10K: 44:30 (7:09 pace) PR!
    1/22 - Waterfront 5K: 20:54 (6:43 pace) PR!
  • image GRKaters:

Having never gone above 16, running 18 miles and then having to hoof it for another 8 before I could sit down sounds like torture. I'd also run the risk of wanting to run MORE than my set distance due to adrenaline, crowds, and my own stupidity, and then I'd probably get hurt.

I'd just run 18 on my own.

See you at Bayshore! :) 

Also, I am cheap and wouldn't want to pay for a long run if I'm not racing.

• Is there a half option and then do the rest on your own when you get home?
  • my other thought is running the half and adding on miles, but then I deal with what I did this past weekend. I had intended to run the 3 before the 7 mile run, but that didn't happen...and I HATED having to add on 3-ish after my 7 miler yesterday. It's not til late in April, so I have some time.   I don't know that I want to break up the run that late in the game. 

Thankfully - I would still get a tech shirt with the half OR the full...so it won't be like I'll be missing out on a good shirt!

• image chw57:
    I don't think I could walk after running that much of a marathon...I'd have to keep running!? Could you do both?

I thought about doing something similar for my 20 mile run, but decided a/g it for this reason. I know I'd keep running!?It?took?me?a?couple?of?weeks?before?I?got?my?speed?back
    after?my?last?marathon,?even?with?an?easy?recovery,?and?I?didn't?want?to?risk
    it.?If?they?are?a?couple?months?apart,?I?might?consider?it?though...
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers