October 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help me not regret putting up a Real Wedding?

I had one up before, but took it down after seeing how many of the ones there had 1 and 2 ratings.  I mean really--who looks at someone else's wedding, and says, "Gee, I really want to tell them their wedding sucked"?  However, inspired by the rest of you, I have now put it back up again.  Here it is, and I don't think it sucked!

Re: Help me not regret putting up a Real Wedding?

• I gave you a 5! :)  I was surprised when I put mine up too... after like 20 views, my rating was 2.  I guess they do it to make their own look better?
    Planning & Married Bio... Pro Pics, Vendor Reviews, and Items For Sale!
  • Thanks!

Yeah, I was looking over last year's, and the person who won had all sorts of nasty comments on hers saying it wasn't that good, or she cheated.  Those far outnumbered the congratulatory ones!

• You found the one that won last year?  And you can make comments?
  • Yep!  All the winners can be accessed from this link.  Check out the comments on this one, which was the brides' pick for winner in the photos category.
  • So Knotties pick a winner and The Knot big-wigs pick one?  I'm not sure how it all works, I just saw there was a vacation prize and signed up! HA! :)
  • Yeah, I've just been watching the results, and the security on it is terrible.  There is nothing to stop the same person from voting any number of times.  I'm pretty sure someone (or perhaps more than one) has a script going to rate everyone else as a 1 hundreds of times in succession.
  • I wasn't going to put one up but I was totally bored last night lol. I thought yours looked beautiful. I voted for you!
    Photobucket
  • How long did it take you to find that ring on eBay UK?  Seems like quite a lucky find!
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE those lace boots! So pretty!
  • You're right that someone could set things up to just give people ones all day.  The bride's pick really is more of a popularity contest... whoever gets the most people to vote in that case, wins.  But the knot winners aren't based on ranking or views and the vacation is a drawing so that's just about luck anyway. 
  • I have no illusions about winning but just wanted some of the detail-y stuff to be able to be searchable for people down the road.  I drew a lot of inspiration from photos I found on the knot so I figured I should pay it forward!  :)  don't really care who likes it or doesn't I guess so maybe that can be your motivation to keep it! 

• imagewittyschaffy:

I have no illusions about winning but just wanted some of the detail-y stuff to be able to be searchable for people down the road.  I drew a lot of inspiration from photos I found on the knot so I figured I should pay it forward!  :)  don't really care who likes it or doesn't I guess so maybe that can be your motivation to keep it! 

ditto.

• Karen2905, it actually didn't take all that long to find. 

What happened was that we took the ring NotFroofy had inherited from her grandmother to a local jeweler's, and asked to look at something that would match.    They told us that it was 22 karat gold, which is very rare here.  So they were basically trying to tell us that we'd have to settle for an 18 karat gold ring for me to give NotFroofy.

However, I knew that NotFroofy's grandfather came from a family of steelworkers, and was actually in the British military at the time they got married.  Thus, I couldn't imagine that the ring was terribly high-end for its time in Britain.  And if there were a zillion of them floating around Britain, I figured someone would be selling one.  I had determined NotFroofy's size at the jeweler's, so it was just a question of finding one in her size, or close enough to her size that it could be resized for her.

I looked online to get a chart converting American ring sizes to British sizes.  Since NotFroofy was a size 5 in American sizes, it looked like she'd be a size J or K in British sizes.  And since it is a lot easier to make a ring smaller than to make it larger (particularly if it is 22 karat gold, which people here wouldn't have on hand), I looked for one in a British size K.

I bid on the ring, and managed to win it.  When I contacted the seller and told him I intended to give it to my bride, he was thrilled.  It had been his mother's, and he had been hoping that the person who bought it would use it again instead of just melting it down.

dvshaw, NotFroofy's boots were a total hit both in Massachusetts (where we got married) and back in DC (where we had the reception).  We took everyone out to lunch in Massachusetts after the ceremony at a nearby Legal Sea Foods.  And the whole time we were there, the staff of the restaurant kept coming in and asking to look at NotFroofy's boots.

Milliechel67 and wittyschaffy, I plan to keep mine up this time for the reasons you said.  It was just the first time, when I put it up and came back to find ratings that suggested everyone thought it sucked, I felt like there was no point in having it there.  Now that I understand how the system works, I can deal with it.

• 2dBride! your wedding photos are beautiful!! I voted 5!