Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

jacuzzi tub cleaning?

we moved into our house in november, and it has a jacuzzi tub (if that is the correct term even!).

what are some do's and dont's, and how to clean it?

i heard you cant use bubbles in it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: jacuzzi tub cleaning?

• we have one and it is fairly easy to maintain. When you have the jets on do not use any bubble baths, soaps, or oils as it will clogg the jets. I usually fill the tub with hot water, put about 2 cap fulls of bleach and let the jets run to clean it about once every 2 months. I do a regular clean 2 times a week. HTH

• im really glad you asked this lol

i just signed an offer on a house a few weeks ago, we're set to move in the beginning of march, my master bath has a "garden tub" with jets, and i was wondering  the same thing! the bleach is a really good idea!

my sister has a similar tub and she said that around the jets get the dirtiest, she uses lime away, or CLR all the time to clear anything around them, then rinses extremely well by filling the tub and letting the water clear them out. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks for the info! We have a garden tub as well and I've never really known what to do about it.
  • Hi - I'm a lurker on this board, but I just moved into a house with a jacuzzi tub, and researched this issue pretty extensively! 

I found two different solutions:

The first is a product called Whirlout, it's sold at Home Depot and other hardware/home improvement stores.  Basically you fill up the tub with hot water, and then dump half the bottle in and let the jets run for about 15 minutes.

The second is more of a "home remedy" but it also works pretty well!  Fill up the tub to just a few inches above the jets with very hot water.  Pour in about 1/4 cup of cascade powder dishwasher detergent, and a half cup of bleach.  Run the jets at their highest power for about 10 minutes.  Drain the tub, then fill it back up to just a few inches above the jets with cold water.  Run the jets again at high power for another 5 minutes to rinse away any remaining gunk or chemicals.

Whichever method you use, once every month or two is recommended.

The first time I cleaned out the tub, it hadn't been used in a long time (the house hadn't been occupied for months).  You wouldn't believe the gunk that came out of the jets.  However, after two cleanings with the detergent method above, it's clean as a whistle!  I also talked to someone at American Standard - the manufacturer of our tub.  They said the more often you use it, the cleaner the inner tubing will stay.  If you don't use it very often, some water sits in the tubes, and that's where the gunk can build up...

I hope this helps!

BabyFruit Ticker