Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gross - my gym was almost shut down by the board of health

One of my co-workers emailed me the article from the local paper.  I have to admit that I haven't used the bathrooms, but I guess there was some really gross unsanitary conditions in both the mens and womans bathrooms.  I guess the town fined them seperately on three different occassions over the last few months and it got to the point that the other day management was given 12 hours to remedy the situation or the gym would be closed down while they fixed the problems (I've been sick the past 10 days and haven't been there).  Like a few people said in the comments to the article that its while management needs to clean it up, its really the clientele thats the real issues which I do agree with - people leave used tissues and paper towels all over the place and never wipe down the equipment after they have used it and I've seen more than a few people who feel its acceptable to spit into the cup holders on the treadmills or the floor...Huh? 

Re: Gross - my gym was almost shut down by the board of health

• EW!!!

I hope it's better the next time you're there!

My H&F Blog * H&F Badges

image image image

2010 Highlights
    9/26 Adirondack Marathon 5:11:37 (major knee pain, but hey, I finished!)

2011 Races and Results
    5/29 Buffalo Marathon (5:25 - not pretty, just trying not to get heatstroke!)
    9/25 Adirondack Marathon (take 2!)
    One of these days I'll have a good marathon!
  • Seriously??  Spit into the cup holders??  That is utterly disgusting!
  • No I don't think it's the fault of the clientele. People will do anything if they are allowed. It is up to the management to set the rules and follow through with them. The gym has to set high standards and expectations of everyone and kick people out if they refuse to follow the rules.
  • That is so disgusting!  I don't think I'd be able to use the equipment if I ever saw someone spitting on it.  My gym will talk to you if you don't wipe down equipment.
  • Ick!

SPIT in the cup holders and on the floor?!?  That's so gross.  Who does that??

• image axh2277:

I've seen more than a few people who feel its acceptable to spit into the cup holders on the treadmills or the floor...Huh? 

Ick! 

• Some people are just utterly ridiculous. Ick!
  • Eww!!  It's time to start looking for a new gym!!!
  • I'd be finding a new gym toot sweet if people were being allowed to spit into cup holders. Disgusting.

• I talked to one of my coworkers that goes to the other location and he said its really nice and very clean there - everyone wipes down the machines and he showers there in the morning and said that the bathrooms are pristine so I am going to start going there.  Between this and the daycare refusing to remove a child that repeatedly bites other kids I'm done with this location.

• image MuffinSunday:
    That is so disgusting!  I don't think I'd be able to use the equipment if I ever saw someone spitting on it.  My gym will talk to you if you don't wipe down equipment.

My gym will talk to you if you don't carry your own personal towel!

People shouldn't spit in the cupholders on the floor.  That is incredibly disgusting.  But at the same time, the management should have the balls and motivation (motivation to keep gym members) to enforce rules and kick those out that violate them.

That really skeeves me out.  I am going to start checking the cup holders now before I stuff my towel in there now.   Ick!

• Just one of MANY reasons I refuse to exercise at the gym. Gross.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/hx12j4.jpg[/IMG]

2012 Races:
    1/29/12-5K Mid West Expo Run 29:13
    2/18/12-10K Big Chili Run-1:00:57
    3/17/12-5K Luck of the Irish Run-28:15-PR!!