Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

yoga mat question

I have been using my new yoga mat about once a week for the last 2 months but I'm having an issue with it in that if I hold certain positions for amy length of time, ie. downward facing dog, my hands really do start to slide/slip.  Is there something I can do about this?  And for what it is worth I have a hugger mugger mat.

Re: yoga mat question

• my yoga instructor said to wash it with mild soap & hot water, and just lay it out to dry. i haven't tried it, since my yoga mat doesn't slip. it did the first few times, but it doesn't anymore.

good luck!

• Let me preface this discussion by saying that there are two different types of yoga mat construction - open cell and closed cell.  Open cell mats tend to absorb sweat and may stay more sticky during yoga.  Closed cell mats cause moisture to bead up on the surface and definitely become slick when wet.  If you're doing a crazy amount of sweating, however, it doesn't matter if your mat is open or closed cell - a mat can only absorb so much sweat! 

Do you find that your mat is more slippery than it was when you first starting using it, or has it always been slippery?  If you previously had no issues with slippage this usually means that the oils from your skin and hands have created a "slick" on the mat which needs to be removed.  There are several commercial mat sprays (Manduka makes a good one, another one called "Wicked Witch Hazel" also works well and has antibacterial properties) but I make my own - I use a spray bottle with 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water plus 2 drops of tea tree oil.  I spray generously on the mat (until glistening) then allow the spray to penetrate for 5 - 10 minutes.  I wipe the spray off with a damp cloth and allow to air dry.

If you've always had slipping issues, you may want to invest in a Yogitoes mat towel (purchase this from Amazon.com - they have the absolute lowest prices and free shipping).  These mat towels are a type of microfiber weave.  They have silicone nubs on one side that actually grip the towel to your mat.  The side that your hands go on is solid fabric that has non-slip properties that actually increase as you sweat. (Even if you don't sweat during class, it still helps your hands and feet stay-put.) They also form a hygienic barrier between your sweat and your mat which allows you to go longer in between cleaning your mat.  I wash my Yogitoes after every class (I actually have a few Yogitoes so I am not constantly doing laundry) but some people go 2 or 3 classes in between washing them.  HTH and let me know if you have any more questions :)