Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Can you get a UTI from lubricant?

Hello, all. So this might seem like a really random question, but is the "pee and clean up really well after sex" thing only applicable if DH ejaculates inside you? If you use condoms or he pulls out, do you still have to worry about potentially getting a UTI from the leftover lubricant? I'm always super paranoid about this because I've never had a UTI before, but I was just wondering if I'm being a little over the top. I know the type of lubricant probably makes a difference too (like some of those crazy KY ones versus regular Astroglide).

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can you get a UTI from lubricant?

• Some women get UTIs and yeast infections from lubricants with spermicide.  If there's no spermicide in the lubricant then I don't see why you should get one.
  • I got mine even though he was using condoms, so that rules doesn't apply if he only ejaculates inside. The doc said that when you do the deed bacteria gets up there, from all the rubbing and thrusting, and that's why you should pee no later than 15 minutes after you're done, to get all the bacteria out. And you need to wipe front to back. As for the lube part I don't know.?
  • Agree with PP: Most UTIs are caused by E coli, which is a normal fecal bacteria.  Despite how well you may clean up after going to the bathroom, the bacteria still hang out down there and can get pushed up during all the movement of sex.  Condoms, no condoms, lube, or no lube, you can still get a UTI because those bacteria are there regardless of what you use or don't use.  
  • Ditto PPs. A UTI is bacterial, so lubricant can't give you one since lube doesn't contain bacteria.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

D/x with endometriosis Aug. 2011
    Expecting "Huckleberry" 8/29/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  •  Thanks, all! Is peeing really all you need to do to take care of it, or is it necessary to wash a little afterwards?

• Peeing is usually sufficient. You can't really wash the inside of your urethra anyway. I've been having sex for 8 years, with and without condoms and with and without lube and have never had a UTI. On the other hand, I know women who got them their first time having sex. I think that just like any type of infection, certain people are more susceptible than others. You can't completely control whether you'll ever get one or not, so all you can do is limit your risk by peeing before and after sex. If you want to limit your risk even further, you can also drink cranberry juice - get the kind that is 100% juice, not the juice cocktail.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

D/x with endometriosis Aug. 2011
    Expecting "Huckleberry" 8/29/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Peeing is all you can really do to clean as PP said you can't really wash up there. It depends on the person but I've been fine just using the bathroom and wiping good.?
  • image rels09:
    Peeing is usually sufficient. You can't really wash the inside of your urethra anyway. I've been having sex for 8 years, with and without condoms and with and without lube and have never had a UTI. On the other hand, I know women who got them their first time having sex. I think that just like any type of infection, certain people are more susceptible than others. You can't completely control whether you'll ever get one or not, so all you can do is limit your risk by peeing before and after sex. If you want to limit your risk even further, you can also drink cranberry juice - get the kind that is 100% juice, not the juice cocktail.

Or cranberry pills, if you don't like the juice.

DH gets up to get the both of us washcloths to clean off with afterwards, so even if I don't get up to pee, I've really cut down on my UTI's.  Another option.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/mmbdis.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/t6xkxy.jpg[/IMG]