Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Newbie with a question (Relay For Life walk prep)

I'm doing a walk at the start of June and I wanted to see if anyone has exercise tips?  This will be my first walk and I'll be meeting with the team for the first time the second week of February.  I only recently started to walk a mile a few times a week (via exercise on TV/demand).  I assume I need to do more, and want to since this will also kick of my goal to eat better and lose a ton of weight.  I'm sadly a chocoholic and pop addict and over the past few years it has caught up with me, big time. 

TIA for any tips!

Re: Newbie with a question (Relay For Life walk prep)

• IMO, Relay for Life is not the most athletically challenging event you could do so I wouldn't worry about it in that aspect. It is more about the spirit and fun of the event if you know what I mean

How big is your team? I have always been on large teams in the past so we usually split up the walking and made a schedule for the entire night. Usually a pair will walk for 20 minutes and then the next pair will take the track... I end up walking maybe 2 or 3 times throughout the entire event.

Of course you do have some teams who walk the entire time but it really depends on your team

• Here's a link to the training programs for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  There are several.  They are broken down by distance (whether you do the 26.2 miles or the 39.3 miles) and how many weeks you want to train.  It might be a good place to start!

I've done the 12 week, which, IMHO wasn't enough training time for the 39.3, and now am doing the 20 week.

http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/PageServer?pagename=walk_training_plans_2k7