Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Post-Run Stiffness

I am training for a half marathon in April and am now up to a 5 mile long run.  When I was at 4 miles (two weeks ago) I felt great following my run and stretch, but I've noticed over the last two weeks of running 5 miles, even though I stretch, I feel SO stiff (esp. in my hips) the rest of the day and into the next.  While I kind of expect this first thing in the morning, I was just sitting on the couch for about 20 minutes, stood up, and almost fell over from the painful stiffness in my hips!  (I finished my run just a few hours ago.) 

Any thoughts of recommendations?  Do I just need to stretch more?  Anyone have any good stretches that focus on the hips?  Nothing else (knees, calves, quads) seems to hurt so much!

TIA, 

Katie

Re: Post-Run Stiffness

• I get some yoga in on the long run days :) 
  • image michiganderrd:
    I get some yoga in on the long run days :) 

That's what I was going to recommend. Especially hip/leg focused ones....

• Maybe try adding a bit more protein in your diet to help with recovery.
  • Foam rolling works wonders for me.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I made the jump from 8 to 9 miles two weeks ago, and then did a 10 mile long run last week.  I noticed that for several days afterwards, I just felt generally icky.  I think that 10 is just too long for me right now.  Maybe 5 is too much for you?  Why not give yourself another week or two with a 4 mile long run and then try 5 again?  I am going to do 9 again this week and hope it feels better than 10 did last week.
  • image Brie2010:
    Foam rolling works wonders for me.

Yes and ice on my knees. And today I took some Midol (for other reasons), but I am not stiff/sore at all! 

• image DevonStiles:

image Brie2010:
    Foam rolling works wonders for me.

Yes and ice on my knees. And today I took some Midol (for other reasons), but I am not stiff/sore at all! 

I don't know why but I actually prefer Midol for general aches and pains....not all of the time but the day after a difficult workout.  Call me odd.

• Just running my 5ks I have pain in my hips. I was told to hold onto the wall, plant my right foot a little behind me and then swing my leg while pointing my toe up as high as it can go on both sides, then switch legs. It helps. I still have some pain but it's not anything like when I don't stretch.