Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Am I expecting too much?

So, I didn't get to try on all of those BM dresses and I have a little extra time to try on a couple more possibly.

So, I called this bridal place and here is the customer service I got when I asked what style numbers they had in:

"We have this one this one and this one and there are a couple in back that I haven't had a chance to check in yet."  SILENCE.  NFT.

So, *I* have to suggest that SHE call me once she "has a chance" to check in the dresses.

If you were a sales person, wouldn't the answer be:

What I just suggested except COMING FROM THE SALESPERSON?

Or, "If you don't mind holding, I can run in back and see which ones they are".

She seriously acted like it was SUCH  a hardship that I am asking her to CALL ME BACK once she has a chance to check them in.  WTF? 

Then, I mentioned I was thinking about coming in on Saturday and she says "you know, it is very busy on Saturdays". SILENCE.  NFT.

OK, so apparently you don't want me to come in there and try on dresses.  How about, "I just wanted to warn you that it does get busy on Saturdays but we are open on Friday until 7pm so that might be a better option if you can do it because I know it is tough to have to wait". 

Re: Am I expecting too much?

• Wow what a biatch.  Way to act like she does not want your sale at all.  And that you are totally inconveniencing her.

Can you go any other place to try on the dresses?   I would not want to give this place my business.

• Ummm....no. You're not asking too much. With the comment about it being busy on Saturday I would probably have said "Oh, well then I just won't come in at all. Have a good day!"  I'm b!tchy like that though. LOL!
    Ben & Shana - August 27, 2005
  • Ugh. Are there any other bridal places that have the dresses? Customer service (or lack there of) like that would make me take my business elsewhere.
  • I found when I was dress shopping for my own wedding a few years back the service sucked at a lot of dress shops in the area.  I think they seem to have forgotten that they need us as customers.  Like they're the only game in town?  I'd drive all the way to Detroit or Chicago if I had to.  I don't need to be treated like I'm a burden.  Unless you have to use them, call another shop.  They probably aren't the only retailer to carry that designer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMissyNa:
    With the comment about it being busy on Saturday I would probably have said "Oh, well then I just won't come in at all. Have a good day!"  I'm b!tchy like that though. LOL!

GOOOD ONE.  I am just not that quick of a thinker to come back with something like that.

2 Of the dresses that I liked the best (in the poll) are not in at the other two stores I called so this is my last resort.  I'm not going to go to Detroit to try them on.  And I am going to try to order from an online place or Tami's where I did get to try them on and they were nice to me.  That other place is not getting a penny from me.

• Hehe, if they aren't getting a penny from you anyway, go in there and waste their time then.  Tee hee hee.
  • imageTigers:

imageMissyNa:
    With the comment about it being busy on Saturday I would probably have said "Oh, well then I just won't come in at all. Have a good day!"  I'm b!tchy like that though. LOL!

GOOOD ONE.  I am just not that quick of a thinker to come back with something like that.

2 Of the dresses that I liked the best (in the poll) are not in at the other two stores I called so this is my last resort.  I'm not going to go to Detroit to try them on.  And I am going to try to order from an online place or Tami's where I did get to try them on and they were nice to me.  That other place is not getting a penny from me.

In that case, go on Saturday when they are busy and try on lots and lots of dresses.  And bring a bunch of friends to try on dresses too.  ANd have Maria try on a bunch of flower girl dresses just for the fun of it.  Haha.  Take up lots of their time.  And then leave and order online or from Tami's.

Devil 

• I have noticed this a lot with bridal shops.  They don't seem to care anymore.  I don't get it.  You would think that they would want to take advantage of a bunch of giddy girls looking to buy something.  I understand that they often get bitchy brides/maids, but c'mon that's part of the business isn't it?  You're working with women, bitchiness is to be expected every once in a while.  They don't have to act like every women that walks in or calls is going to be a giant B and blow them off.   I would have been annoyed and tried to find another place to order from if possible.  If there's only one shop that carries that line, I would go in there and be the B they are expecting. 
  • I'm thinking a GNO.
  • imageTheWop:
    I'm thinking a GNO.

Yes

How funny would it be to get like 20 nesties in there?

• imageDesmond&MollyJones*:

imageTheWop:
    I'm thinking a GNO.

Yes

How funny would it be to get like 20 nesties in there?

And all the moms have to bring their kids. 

• imageTheWop:
    imageDesmond&MollyJones*:

imageTheWop:

Yes

bawhahahah.  3 and younger only.  Boys, even better.  muwhahahah.

• imageTigers:
    imageTheWop:

imageTheWop:

Yes

This is getting better and better. 

• imageTheWop:
    imageTigers:
    imageTheWop:

imageTheWop:

Yes

I'm in.  I'd love to get out of the house for a bit.  Hehe.

• I'm curious which shop it is. Not "naming names" but I went to one on Divison Ave - way south of 44th street to look at bridsemaid dresses. The shop was dead - me and one other girl with a friend trying on bridal dresses. The girs were being very respectful and not causing problems. She was pulling a very dresses and the owner was a complete snot - she said "Girrrrlls, there is only room to try on a few at a time" and led them to the dressing room. She turned around to the other sales clerk and rolled her eyes behind the shoppers back. I still regret to this day not sneaking into the dressing room and telling them to get the heck out of there.
  • imageTheWop:
    imageTigers:
    imageTheWop:

imageTheWop:

Yes

And give them red koolaid about 10 minutes prior to arrival and whatever candy they want.

• I'm responding without reading any of the other posts.

First of all, in my experience, many bridal shops have the worst customer service, especially with regard to bridesmaid dresses.  Perhaps they feel that you are already locked into a purchase?  Perhaps they think you are just trying on there and the bride will order from another store?  I don't know...

Secondly, maybe she was mentioning that it is busy on Saturdays because you should make an appointment?  Obviously she then should have suggested that rather than leaving you hanging. 

I agree that she was pretty unhelpful, but I think that's par for the course in the industry. 

• imageSuze04:

I'm responding without reading any of the other posts.

First of all, in my experience, many bridal shops have the worst customer service, especially with regard to bridesmaid dresses.  Perhaps they feel that you are already locked into a purchase?  Perhaps they think you are just trying on there and the bride will order from another store?  I don't know...

Secondly, maybe she was mentioning that it is busy on Saturdays because you should make an appointment?  Obviously she then should have suggested that rather than leaving you hanging. 

I agree that she was pretty unhelpful, but I think that's par for the course in the industry. 

Oh yeah, I know about the strange behaviors of bridal boutique workers.  It has always been that way ever since I can remember.  Was I surprised by the customer service - NO.  But, it is just such a great example of poor customer service (or what I thought to be) that I had to post it.  If she had of said "would you like to book an appointment?" right after she said "we're really busy on Saturdays", I would have thought that was great customer service but she didn't and I shouldn't have to be the one to ask.

• Well, I used to manage in retail, and while I wouldn't accept that kind of response from an employee of mine, I can sort of see where it comes from.  Were they the most correct responses?  No, but was there a reason behind them?  yes.  On Saturdays, it's crushingly busy and if they leave the brides to poor service, then the brides get angry, and won't bring their bridal party back there. So, for them, it's a question of more money for them later, or better service for you right now.  It's not fair, but, it's business.  Also, imagine going in there on a busy Saturday, and everything is slammed, and they say, "Here are the dresses, you can look and we'll put you in line for a dressing room in 45 minutes." how would that make you feel then?

Anyway, like I said, it wasn't right, but I can see what's behind it.  And those stores have a really high overhead, and don't make that much money so they generally don't pay that well.  You have to be pretty dedicated to deal with some of that crap with bad pay too.

• imageAmoroAgain:

Well, I used to manage in retail, and while I wouldn't accept that kind of response from an employee of mine, I can sort of see where it comes from.  Were they the most correct responses?  No, but was there a reason behind them?  yes.  On Saturdays, it's crushingly busy and if they leave the brides to poor service, then the brides get angry, and won't bring their bridal party back there. So, for them, it's a question of more money for them later, or better service for you right now.  It's not fair, but, it's business.  Also, imagine going in there on a busy Saturday, and everything is slammed, and they say, "Here are the dresses, you can look and we'll put you in line for a dressing room in 45 minutes." how would that make you feel then?

Anyway, like I said, it wasn't right, but I can see what's behind it.  And those stores have a really high overhead, and don't make that much money so they generally don't pay that well.  You have to be pretty dedicated to deal with some of that crap with bad pay too.

The employee should have said something to this effect then. If more ppl put up a fight on bad service, the industry would change.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic CafeMom Tickers
  • Customer service is lacking in a lot of stores/industries.  I'm sure we all have countless stories of how we weren't treated appropriatly while shopping.  It's truly sad that the retail industry has come to this. 

I think the internet has increased this problem.  Since people have the ability to shop online, it reduces the store sales, and increases their overhead rate.  This rate increase causes store owners to reduce staff, and they get stressed, and give poorer service. 

As a customer that expects, and deserves good service, all you can do is shop at businesses that provide the service, and let managers know why you aren't shopping at businesses that don't provide service.

As a side note, even working in public accounting, my boss stresses customer service, far more than he stresses accounting principles with his employees.

• imagelaurainMI:

As a side note, even working in public accounting, my boss stresses customer service,

Yes, I 100% believe in this and I think I live it/work it to the best of my ability.  That is why incidents like this tend to grind my nerves.  If I acted like that at my job, I don't think I'd be employed right now.