Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ok- how do you stay fashionable in the PNW?

Thanks to all that posted about winter essentials.  Remember I know nothing about Seattle, but the few times I visited I did see some trendy type people there- mostly though everyone was more outdoorsy, woodsy that kind of thing.

Now I could be totally wrong, but...in the cooler/colder months for those who have come from like a Miami or New York or California and are kinda trendy- what do you wear- brands etc?>  Or is it that hard to have a fashionable side since you are always layering, wearing coats and rain gear? Everyone is saying to invest in fleece and those types of things and that I understand, but I am wondering about more modern looks.

Thanks and please forgive me being naive.  This is going to be a huge change for me. 

Re: Ok- how do you stay fashionable in the PNW?

• again, i'm not a native, but i just don't think a fleece is appropriate in all situations... but also again, i have many coats.
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • Yes I own mulitple fleeces but I don't wear them anyplace that I wouldn't wear a sweatshirt.  It's not that hard to be fashionable with layers.  We have a lot of the major department store around here like Nordstrom and Macy's.

Get a few cute coats they are pretty easy to find.

• I'm with PV on this one?I do own fleece but mostly only wear it for hiking/camping or yard work. I would never wear it out, but that's just me. Tons of people do so whatever you prefer works.

I have probably about 6 coats I wear in the winter: a long black Jcrew coat, shorter green wool coat, puffy Marmot jacket, casual parka style (snowboarderesque, not that I snowboard) and a rainjacket. I can layer my puffy Marmot coat under my rain jacket b/c it's more of a shell. If I were you, I wouldn't try to over prepare. I'd live here for a while and see what you need/what works. I wouldn't say Seattle is totally unfashionable, I think it can be pretty hip?just depends on where you go. I also wouldn't say that Seattle is a very brand conscious place, maybe on the East side, but in general not. 

• I never, ever wear fleece.  I barely ever wear a rain jacket.  The weather here is pretty mild usually, and you can carry an umbrella to stay dry.  There are lots of stylish outerwear options at Nordstrom - they have a nice range of prices, styles, and brands, designer labels if you want, as well.  If you want really high end designers, there is a Neiman in Bellevue (just across Lake Washington, about 15-20 minutes from Seattle) at a brand new shopping center called The Bravern.  They have several designer boutiques.

The one thing I would recommend is getting a pair of rain boots or wellies to wear to/from work, when running errands, etc. on a super rainy day.  The rain can be hard on nice shoes.  

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whcmAHB/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/whcmAHB/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wbIWgwz/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wbIWgwz/exercise.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • I just read back over your question and saw that you asked about being stylish when you're wearing more layers.  I guess it depends on what your style is.  I love wearing skinny jeans with boots, which goes well with our colder weather.  I actually like layering fun t-shirts or blouses with cardis, blazers, or cute jackets.  I like also like dresses with tights or leggings, which helps keep you warm. 

It shouldn't be too hard to be stylish but still stay dry & warm.  Just invest in some cute coats, put one on over your regular clothes when you're out & about then take it off to reveal your cute outfit when you're inside!

People in Seattle are definitely more casual as in general, but I think there are plenty of stylish people.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whcmAHB/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/whcmAHB/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wbIWgwz/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wbIWgwz/exercise.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • There aren't any people in Seattle who are trendy. We all look like we belong in the woods for sure! All fleece, flannel shirts and zero style! Wink
  • Fu nailed it I think.  I can't usually rock leggings/tights [unless I'm pregnant apparently, now they're a staple!] but you can layer things and look great.  My fleeces and puffy coats are usually for skiing and working out outdoors - not wearing around town.

I have some very warm wool coats that are very cute, and lots of boots.  Cardigans are a lifesaver too - long and drapey in a thinner material, or cute shorter knit ones. 

If you invest in some key pieces - nice coats, leather gloves, nice hats, then they will keep you warm when you're outdoors.  Just get used to stashing everything once you get indoors!

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That was the one of the hard things when I moved - all my trendy, or cute, or girlie or even just shorts - I never wore them again.

Being from a warmer climate (where I find 80 degree comfortable, Seattle people think it's too hot) - I was wearing some sort of jacket 95% of the year.

So I had MANY jackets, and fleece and flannel  etc etc

Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • image MissLauraQ:

That was the one of the hard things when I moved - all my trendy, or cute, or girlie or even just shorts - I never wore them again.

Being from a warmer climate (where I find 80 degree comfortable, Seattle people think it's too hot) - I was wearing some sort of jacket 95% of the year.

Hmm, in addition to turning you into an unfashionable slob, apparently moving to Seattle takes away your ability to compose complete sentences! Huh? 

Anyway, like a few other respondents, I also manage to dress respectably, as do most of my coworkers. I wear heels, boots, wool slacks, cashmere and merino sweaters, silk shirts, wool coats, etc. All are fashionable and recent.

I didn't realize Seattle weather requires one to surrender her "trendy, or cute" [sic] clothing. Maybe if you were a Vegas hooker, yeah, your wardrobe won't translate well here. Wink

• image sonicesosmart:
    image MissLauraQ:

That was the one of the hard things when I moved - all my trendy, or cute, or girlie or even just shorts - I never wore them again.

Hmm, in addition to turning you into an unfashionable slob, apparently moving to Seattle takes away your ability to compose complete sentences! Huh? 

Anyway, like a few other respondents, I also manage to dress respectably, as do most of my coworkers. I wear heels, boots, wool slacks, cashmere and merino sweaters, silk shirts, wool coats, etc. All are fashionable and recent.

I didn't realize Seattle weather requires one to surrender her "trendy, or cute" [sic] clothing. Maybe if you were a Vegas hooker, yeah, your wardrobe won't translate well here. Wink

Whoa!  I hope this was meant to be tongue in cheek, and not completely nasty.

• Fleece really isn't all that warm, and its not water-proof or even resistant. I might wear a thin fleece under other things to the dog park, or fleece pants at home, or one as a sweatshirt doing things like yardwork like Fitz mentioned, but otherwise I wouldn't say fleece is a big part of my wardrobe.

I think the key is to have good layering pieces, not bulky stuff or you feel like a whale.

• image sonicesosmart:
    image MissLauraQ:

wow, bitchy much? i found that much of my normal florida wardrobe didn't transfer well here, not because i used to dress like a hooker, but because the summers here are 65-75 degrees most of the time compared to 90-100, not counting the humidity.

image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • image PurposelyVague:
    image sonicesosmart:
    image MissLauraQ:

wow, bitchy much? i found that much of my normal florida wardrobe didn't transfer well here, not because i used to dress like a hooker, but because the summers here are 65-75 degrees most of the time compared to 90-100, not counting the humidity.

I wasn't trying to be bitchy, but I did get defensive. I've tired of transplants making fun of "Seattle style" and saying they can't dress stylishly or "cute" like they did back home. It's as bad as the people who move here from California and constantly talk about how much better the weather "back home" is. I'm all for welcoming new residents, but it's irritating when it's accompanied by constant complaining about our region. 

• Okay, no need to get defensive.  MissLauraQ isn't even living in WA right now, she never hid how much she missed warmer climates, and she was never deregatory to us locals when talking about the weather.  She was lamenting that her favorite trendy/cute summer clothes didn't work here.

She also happens to be a particularly stylish person, so insinuating that her warm weather clothes were hooker clothes was just out of left field.

I know we're a slower board these days, but we can still be nice to each other. 

• ok so to add to all of this- I am sorry that I started a mess.  I am not trying to say that Seattle is not a trendy stylish place. I am very aware how individualist it is!!  :-)  I am from Florida and simply have no clue to what to do.  I thought I would just ask what the possible trends are, give you my thought which could be very wrong as to what I am aware of the fashion is and ask for advise.  I want to be welcomed and comfortable and WARM in your lovely state. 

Thank you to ALL the kind posts and the ones who did not judge my post.  Much love  :-)

I am sure I will have more questions.  Thanks so much.

• okay sonic, i can see that. i had a lot of cute sundresses and strappy tops that i just can't wear hear except for the one week it gets to 90. i've moved to wearing a lot of jackets or coats and i think they can be trendy, i just don't always associate them with being cute. it doesn't mean that ppl here can't be stylish, it's just a different style than the south. i seriously had never layered anything (unless you count a coverup over a swim suit) before moving here.

and moving2, sorry we got moddy and hijacked your post! i agree that waiting until you're out here to get some items is a good idea.

• I think it can be hard to be fashionable and stay fashionable here! But I agree there's a very cool style here. I really have liked Fitzfern's style when I've seen her, I think its very Seattle and weather appropriate. She's amazed me by being cute at the dog park. I think I always look homeless at the dog park!! Stick out tongue
  • image Alisha_A:
    I think it can be hard to be fashionable and stay fashionable here! But I agree there's a very cool style here. I really have liked Fitzfern's style when I've seen her, I think its very Seattle and weather appropriate. She's amazed me by being cute at the dog park. I think I always look homeless at the dog park!! Stick out tongue

awww thanks, it's nice to hear someone thinks I have style. some days I have my doubts. ;) and don't worry moving2seattle, you didn't offend anyone. thanks for helping keep this board awake. :)

• I'm just going to add that I feel MUCH more fashionable in a wool coat, dark jeans and wool socks under heeled dressy boots than I did this past summer when it hit 107 in my neighborhood, I was rocking a cute sundress and had sweat streaming down my face. Just saying! :)

2012 Racing Plans:
    Valentine's Day Dash 5k, 02/11/2012, 33:03
    Seahawks 12k, 04/01/2012, 1:23:17
    Bellevue 10k, 04/29/2012
    Beat the Bridge 8k, 05/20/2012
    Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 06/23/2012
    ...more to come!
  • I just take all my cute FL clothes and layer them lol. I moved here from FL in Nov 06, right in time for that great storm and power outage...

I still wear very much the same stuff just my tank tops go under the jackets and sweaters and hoodies. I love it up here and way prefer the weather to FL ( i live all over there MIA to TLH you name it) plus no bugs! hehe

You should not have too much trouble, and you will prob look better than most with your trendy clothes! ;) In Seattle there are lots of great stores with great clothes, you will be able to find all kinds of great stuff, there is a model scene here to so dont think you will be out of place in your "hot" clothes. (I am a photog)

Don't worry style is very open here, if they dont like it, let them! you wll be fine!

PS the rain here is NOTHING like FL rain, its drizzle! you can go about your day mostly w/o an umbrella, unlike the down-pours that are a pain to deal with.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/9h70ih.jpg[/IMG]