D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Does anyone live in or know anything about Mantua (FFX)?

We are hoping to move in the next year or two, and are starting to think about and weigh our options.  We are thinking one of two things:

1.  Move a few miles east into Arlington and live in a house similar to the small one we live in in Falls Church now

2.  Move a few miles west and buy a larger home, but still be somewhat close in and right off of Rt 50

DH rented in Mantua with a few friends right out of college (10ish years ago), and remembers thinking it was a great family neighborhood.  We drove through it yesterday, and I loved the fact that it is heavily wooded, there are parks and trails, and the elementary school is in the neighborhood, yet it is tucked away right off of Rt. 50 and close to everything.  A lot of the homes have acre+ lots as well.

So, does anyone live there or know anyone who lives there?  Thoughts?  Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: Does anyone live in or know anything about Mantua (FFX)?

• DH knew a lot of people growing up that lived in Mantua and said it was and still continues to be a great neighborhood.  Unfortunately when we were looking to move we weren't able to find anything in there that was what we were looking for in the right price range.  We finally found something, but it requires a move in the opposite direction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • I love Mantua and two friends who bought this year (early 30s couples with babies) seriously considered it. I also know some familes with teens who live there and have loved raising their families there. It is a beautiful neighborhood with huge yards, lots of trees, and houses with personality.
    From loss and infertility to two under two!

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/ti

ckers/generated_tickers/z/zekup8c3h.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/ti

ckers/generated_tickers/t/t8qsp5014.png[/IMG][/URL]

<a href="http://moregreenforlessgreen.blogspot.com">

MoreGreenForLessGreen</a> <i>Living more eco-friendly for less

money.</i>
  • We seriously considered Mantua but the houses that come on the market there that we liked were mostly outside our price range. (We did not consider short sales or foreclosures).  The ones in our price range required some serious work that we just did not want to take on.  I don't know your budget, but if the larger lots are what appeal to you, they seem to go for closer to 7 figures.  Have you looked near Hidden Pond Nature Center?  There are beautiful neighborhoods back there off of Hummer.  Same for off Shreve, Sleepy Hollow and Lake Barcroft.  Canterbury Woods is nice as well but houses there do not turn over very often.  We too were in a small Falls Church house but we wanted larger and inside or near beltway.  GL.  There is a lot of junk to sort through but we saw some gems as well.       
  • My husband's grandparents live in Mantua. It seems like a really nice neighborhood. You do need to have a separate membership to the pool and tennis it's not included. Also, lots of leaves to rake. It seems really nice for a family although there are no sidewalks for kids to walk on. I like this neighborhood but I doubt we'll eer be able to afford it.
  • Thanks for all of the responses!  We'll be looking in the $650K range, and that seems possible in Mantua.  There are definitely plenty out of our range as well.  :)  I actually see one for only $520K ish right now that I think has a lot of potential (meaning we'd put a lot of $$ and work into it, but at that price it's ok), but we aren't ready to sell our house yet.  Maybe it will still be available next year!
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • We'll be putting our house on the market at some point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Have you checked out Camelot? ?I feel like it has more of a cohesive feel than Mantua. ?It has a neighborhood school too, pool, etc. ?
  • if you're going to look at anything that needs a considerable amount of renovation, make sure you investigate your options for financing the renovations before you put a contract in anywhere.  when we were looking this past summer, our mortgage broker told us that home equity lines were basically impossible to get in this economy.  that may no longer be true, but if you don't have the cash, you need to make sure you can get the money you need.  (i.e. if you bought that $520K house and wanted to put $150K into it.)