Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]om.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WBC 25 Point Challenge

I think that I get to pick a challenge, but I haven't been following the board too closely the last month so I am not totally sure. 

In any case, I have had this one in the back of my head for a long time, so here it is.

Read a classic and a sequel/spinoff by another author.

Re: WBC 25 Point Challenge

• Great idea! I like it. Although I can't think of anything right now.
    image Emily 7-10-04
    My Food Blog Visit The Nest!
  • The only one that comes to mind right away is Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea
    image image image
  • There's a lot for Pride and Prejudice.

Gone with the Wind and either Scarlett or Rhett Butler's People.

There is an author named Emma Tennant who has written several spin-offs of different classics.

Cool idea!

Can I marry them all?

• Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock in Love by Sena Jeter Naslund. She also wrote Ahab's Wife, which would be another one that could work, with Moby D!ck.
    Can I marry them all?

• More ideas:

author Paula Marantz Cohen has a few that are modern day Jane Austen stories-- one of them:

Persuasion and Jane Austen in Scarsdale

Can you tell I love this category? Big Smile

Can I marry them all?

• Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones Diary... I think right?

There are also some on Shakespeare... But I can't think of any at the moment... 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Hmm, would the Wizard of Oz be considered a classic?  If so, I'm probably doing that and Wicked.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • image SarahBethBR:
    Hmm, would the Wizard of Oz be considered a classic?

I vote yes.

Can I marry them all?

• image quickstepstar:

Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones Diary... I think right?

There are also some on Shakespeare... But I can't think of any at the moment... 

Bridget Jones is a retelling of P&P. To me, that's different than a sequel/spin off. A sequel/spin off seems to indicate a new story with the same characters. More specifically, a sequel is a continuation of the original story. A spin off is a new story told from the POV of a secondary character. (Example of a spin off is the TV show Frasier from the Cheers original.)

A retelling is the same story, told in a different way, often a different setting or with some sort of twist. Bridget Jones is a modern version. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a retelling with zombies (however there is a sequel coming out, which I think would fit). Even Twilight is technically a loose retelling of P&P (most apparent in the third act of both books).

Right? This doesn't include retellings?

Anyway, this task sounds fun! 

Shana & Josh

28/100
  • Rebecca has a sequel called Mrs. deWinter by Susan Hill. 

• image kpow:

image SarahBethBR:
    Hmm, would the Wizard of Oz be considered a classic?

I vote yes.

I think it would count. Wizard of Oz is definitely a classic. It's in the public domain. Wicked is technically both a spin off (different story and POV from original) but also a retelling because it mirrors parts of the original, but not for most of the book. Since those parts are so minor, I think it is more clearly defined as a spin off.

Shana & Josh

28/100