Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Feeling strange about divorce...

My stepmother told my father on Christmas morning that she is divorcing him.  While it's definitley a blessing in disguise, as she has treated him terribly for years, I still can't help but feel anxious and sad about it.  I'm worried about my dad, and I'm happy at the same time.

Just thought I'd vent here, since no one else in the family really knows yet.

Re: Feeling strange about divorce...

• Change is hard, especially for older people.  Try to get your dad active with seniors in the area - senior centers, volunteer work, adult education classes.  Hopefully he will think of his as a new beginning.  And make sure he is protected legally if she goes after his assets, pension, etc.

"I filed for divorce" - well Merry F'ing Christmas to you, too! 

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Just keep reminding him how much you love him, and that you're always there if he needs you. Invite him to spend time with your family in your home often. It may take time for him to get over the initial shock, but if she's been crappy to him throughout their marriage, he will most likely come to terms with it as being a blessing, as you said. Divorce is NEVER easy, no matter the circumstances, but making sure that your dad knows that he's always got people in his corner will help. WTF possessed her to do this on Christmas Day?!

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/aerolithe/babyprofile.jpg[/IMG]