Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

help me with a delicious dinner to cook for NYE

So we are at least having a nice dinner at home, party doesn't start till after 9 so we are just going to leave it to see how we are feeling that night, as to whether we go or not.

Friend is going home first after work now, no worries there.

Anyway wanted to make something delicious but not spend hours in kitchen, going shopping tonight for groceries. Any suggestions on what to get?

I was thinking some sorta steak or seafood delicious-ness but am just trolling around for ideas.

Re: help me with a delicious dinner to cook for NYE

• shrimp scampi is my fave nye meal. dont know why. but it is the thing i like to have.
  • start with lobster bisque or something (check wegmans, or whole foods has a nice seafood bisque) and then have a super fancy steak.  decadent!
    [IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/mjodh1.jpg[/IMG] Hi Francey!
  • Last year I made:

Baked Potato Soup (with bacon, sour cream, cheese)

Moz & Basil stuffed tomatoes

Steak and sweet potato mashed potatoes, green beans

Dessert brownies & ice cream 

It was on the "heavy side" so I'd probably cut out either the soup or mashed taters. 

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8202881603_878eb759e5_m.jpg[/img]
  • app- shrimp cocktail

dinner- steaks in a grill pan with potatoes au gratin (you can make these the night before and just pop them in the oven), and roasted asparagus.  maybe a mixed green salad.  some sauted mushrooms could work with this too.  mmmmmm steak with mushrooms!

dessert- 2 bite brownies from whole foods and some champagne.

this may be what i now make for nye dinner.  we are still up in the air for plans but we may be heading to the currently empty beach house.

• I don't know if you like lobster, but last year for NYE DH and I got whole lobsters from the grocery store-they cooked them for us, and then we just steamed them briefly at dinner time and made baked potatoes and salads-it was amazing-I think we may do again this year-I'd say it took 20 minutes or less, with no prep!
  • i would do filet topped with a crabmeat au gratin which is easy to prepare

David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11
  • I made this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/cioppino-recipe/index.html for xmas eve and it was delicious.  It was also really easy.  It makes a ton though. I fed 5 people (incl my 20 yo brothers who eat like there is no tomorrow), had leftovers the next day and even froze a container of the sauce.
  • I'm thinking about doing Italian for NYE dinner.  Fresh pasta (from Talluto's..too lazy to make it myself this year) and meatballs and sausage in my homemade sauce.  I can make the meatballs and sausage in the sauce early and let it cook most of the day so I only have to drop the pasta at night. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I usually do a rack of lamb on the grill.
    Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • My go-to is flank steak.  Fancy it up by pounding it flat, sprinkle a layer of feta, sundried tomatoes, spinach.  Roll it up like a jellyroll, stick it with toothpicks, and broil, and slice into 2-3" pieces and serve. Or, may be you could do crab/shrimp layer to make this a surf and turn roll?  There are better cooks here that could help answer that question.