Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How ofter do you wash your bath towels

I think we are being wasteful as after every shower we are washing our towels....I have tried hanging them on a hook outside the shower door however, they always smell musty , What is everyone's secret?

Re: How ofter do you wash your bath towels

• We wash ours weekly.  I know some people get freaked out about how you might dry your face with a part of the towel that touched your butt, but I have bigger things to worry about in my life! 

We hang them over the towel bar and shower curtain rod, spread out.  The only time we've had them get musty was when we lived in a more humid area and forgot to pick them up off of the floor.

• We also wash once a week.  By the end of the week, they might be a little musty, but in general we keep everything open and things dry fairly easily.
    image.

My Bio

• we wash ours every 4 or 5 days, or sometimes weekly.... by the end, they do start to smell a little bit musty, but not bad... as long as we hang them up right after our showers, they dry out fine.
  • I usually wash them right before they start to smell. Usually every 3 or 4 days. Maybe you can try sticking them in the dryer for a few minutes after you use them so they don't stay wet as long?
  • Weekly but I'm lucky to have two towel racks in our bathroom. If I try to put one on the hook on the back of the door it doesn't quite dry out
  • Once a week, maybe twice in the summer months when it's humid and they don't really dry out.

We hang them over the back of the door hooks and they dry pretty well. I also wash with vinegar and make sure they are REALLY dry so the musty smell doesn't linger.

I'm not much of a germaphobe though. If I got out of the shower clean, how dirty can my towel be?

• image belovedbride07:

We wash ours weekly.  I know some people get freaked out about how you might dry your face with a part of the towel that touched your butt, but I have bigger things to worry about in my life! 

We hang them over the towel bar and shower curtain rod, spread out.  The only time we've had them get musty was when we lived in a more humid area and forgot to pick them up off of the floor.

LOL - Same here.

I also don't have a problem with it getting musty.  That used to happen when I lived with my parents in a house with no central air.

• We wash ours weekly without fabric softener. I have noticed that if I do use fabric softener, it makes the towels smell musty quite quickly.

Try washing your towels with a little vinegar and without fabric softener and see if that helps. 

• We wash ours weekly.  I'm clean when I use them so how dirty can they be?  We spread them out on the towel bar after use so they can dry really well and I use vinegar as fabric softener.
    DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Every other day.  I use them twice and then wash them
  • Weekly. We have towel bars we hang them on to dry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • When they begin to get musty.  For some reason my husbands towels only survive 2 - 3 uses where as I can use my towel for a week.  We share a bathroom so there is no difference in moisture level but his towels get musty really fast.  When he uses my towel it gets musty.  I hang all the towels so I don't know what's different.  I have noticed that if I throw his towel in the dryer after use it won't get musty as quickly.
  • image belovedbride07:

I know some people get freaked out about how you might dry your face with a part of the towel that touched your butt, but I have bigger things to worry about in my life!

he he he. My feeling is, my butt better clean enough to share a towel with my face. I mean, I just literally showered, ya know?

We wash ours after every 1-2 uses. Mainly because my husband likes to "borrow" mine to use as a bathmat. Cuz apparently using an actual bathmat is something beyond his capabilities. Confused

I use one of those turbie twist thingies on my hair and get a fresh one every 4 washes or so. But I don't wash my hair daily so it isn't every 4 days, more like every 1.5-2 weeks.

• once a week--- we hang them on hooks and have no musty smelling issues
    Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker
  • image amanthasam:
    When they begin to get musty.  For some reason my husbands towels only survive 2 - 3 uses where as I can use my towel for a week.  We share a bathroom so there is no difference in moisture level but his towels get musty really fast.  When he uses my towel it gets musty.  I hang all the towels so I don't know what's different.  I have noticed that if I throw his towel in the dryer after use it won't get musty as quickly.

uuggh, me too. I don't know what is about DHs towels. Before we lived together, I could get away with washing towels once a week (only because I felt it was gross not to, not becuase they smelled) and now I wash time after 3-4 uses. This still puzzles me!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We throw ours in the washer every weekend, or when they get that lovely musty smell to them. If you have a fan in your bathroom, I suggest turning that on for about 30 minutes after you shower. That will help cut back on excess moisture in the air, and also help your towels dry too. We don't have a fan, and just have a small window, so I always crack that open during and after the shower has been used. If there's no air circulation going on, your towels will get musty because the water is essentially just sitting there and mildew is forming.
  • I live in an apartment with no towel bars and a tiny bathroom that never dries out.  I have to hang my towels on hooks to dry and they start getting that mildew smell after 2 or 3 uses.  I usually try to rotate between 2 towels, using one every other day so that they get completely dry before I use them again.  That seems to help.  I also try to rotate the towels on the hook once  during the day so a different part of the towel can be spread out to dry.  At my parent's house I could use the same towel for more than a week and I always folded it in half and then put it over the top of the shower door to dry and it would be dry within hours.  
  • weekly..they do not usually get musty but if they do we just use a spare towel
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I always thought my husband and I were weird for using our towels more than once! My moms uses hers once, we use ours about 3 times.
  • About 2-3 times.  We do not have a fan in the bathroom but we do spread it out on a towel rack. 

Th bigger problem is wash cloths.  It is hard to get them dry before I put them in the laundry basket and sometimes they get that mildew or musrt smell.  If the washcloths do get mildew, I use bleach (white towels)

• After they have been used maybe 3 times. Any longer and it grosses me out.