Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Any tax people out there?

I was a substitute teacher for a few years. I am no longer working within the school district and I recieved a letter saying how much retirement I accrued while working for the public school system. Since I don't plan on going back it says that i can take the money out. But I says I need to talk to a tax preparer and see how much interest will be charged for taking the money out. Does anybody know how much I will be charged for taking the money out?

Re: Any tax people out there?

• Not a tax person, but just from experience - usually you get charged a hefty tax for taking money out of retirement - like around 40%.  I would see if you can transfer the funds to your current retirement plan instead of withdrawing them from the old plan.
  • You are subject to regular federal income tax witholding based on your current tax bracket. Then on top of that, the IRS imposes another 10% penalty tax for early withdraw from a retirement fund.

I would highly suggest that you roll that into another retirement fund of some sort or you risk paying out the nose to withdraw the money early.

• image *blondiem*:

I would highly suggest that you roll that into another retirement fund of some sort or you risk paying out the nose to withdraw the money early.

This.  I currently have something set up with Huntington for your exact issue.  Give them a call and explain what you are looking to do.

• That's what I was afraid of. I just really wanted a new bathroom!! Thanks for all of your help. I already have a retirement plan set up through a company so I could roll it over into there.