June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Would You Rather?

We played a fun game this weekend while my family was in town, called "Would You Rather?" So eye-opening and fun! Let's do a few for Monday fun.

1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate?

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly.

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers?

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations?

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard.?

Re: Would You Rather?

• 1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate? Cheapskate

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly.  I'd much rather be a gorgeous man than an ugly woman! Too many perks to pass it up for being ugly!

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers?  Well, I want to be successful regardless, so gonna have to say the lone success in a family of losers.

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations?  Retire at 60, because I'd be too bored as a retiree anyways!

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard.  Moderate sales and great acclaim, for sure.

We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
    My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
    My 101
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So funny Leigha-my brother picked Cheapskate too! We had an almost heated argument about that. To me, there is nothing worse than being called a cheapskate. I dislike crybabies too, but I would rather be known as one I think...I love these responses.
  • To me, "Cheapskate" is just semantics. It definitely wouldn't bother me as long as I know I'm not making other people cover my bill or something like that. Where as I'd hate people to tread lightly around me for fear of me breaking out into sobs. That's how we treat my mom sometimes and it's exhausting!
    We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
    My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
    My 101
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate? Cheapskate (but with Leigha's caveat that I'm not a moocher)

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly.  I'd definitely rather be a hot guy. 

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers?  I think I would rather be the lone success, hopefully I would be able to help out my family.

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations?  Retire at 40 and live it up... this might be due to the fact that I currently abhor my job and would love to be able to spend time doing what I want, travel, etc.  Plus at 40 I'd be able to spend so much more time with my future kids if I wasnt working, by 60 they'll all be out of the house.

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard.  Definitely moderate sales and remembered forever, much better than writing a crappy book just for sales. 

• 1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate? Crybaby. Hands down. At least I could always blame crying on having my period or drinking too much.

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly. A gorgeous man. We're talking like, JFK Jr. gorgeous, right? Can I keep my brain so I could just be a narcissist and stare at myself all day? If so, done.

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers? It depends on the level of family success. I'd be completely willing to be the traveling artist in a family like the Rockefellers or Morgans. They may view me as the underachiever for not going into the family business, but money like that would allow me to be a total bohemian... which would be awesome.

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations? Retire at age 40 and travel the world. I value life experience more than career experience.

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard. Write a book that people read forever. I mean, I'll already be pretty set with JFK Jrs good looks, the Rockefellers bank roll and all my travel experience, right?

From Oy Vey to Ole!

I survived the RoLex wedding and all I got was this lousy husband.
    One&Only Palmilla - Los Cabos, Mexico
  • Same answers as Leigha except that I'd retire at 40. I'm assuming this means I'd have a lot of money and be able to travel and everything. And I'd like to combine 5 and 4. So, I'd write a good book that doesn't sell a lot, but then I'd get lots of money and retire at 40 anyway.

image image
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ditto hawki!
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nqdy12.jpg[/IMG]
  • 1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate? Crybaby.

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly. Gorgeous guy.

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers? Successful one.

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations? Retire at 40 (only because my "career aspirations' are to become a writer, which is really hard to do when working at any other job full time...so I'd 'retire' from work and then write forever.)

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard. I'm struggling with this one. I think I'm going with "Best Seller" because if it's a best seller, SOMEONE is highly regarding it, even if it's not critically aclaimed/lasting in the literary canon. I want to see/know that people are actually reading what I wrote, not being forced to read it 150 years from now because it's "important".

Photobucket
  • Ditto Hawki on every count.
    I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends - I love everybody here. But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late, and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments. And that's when it is nice to let them know that you can beat them up.
  • 1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate?

cheapskate

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly.

Keep my gender and be ugly.

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers?

Be the only successful person in a family of losers.

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations?

Retire at 60 after fulfilling career aspirations.

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard. 

Write a moderate seller w/great acclaim. It's not all about the $$$, if I put my heart and soul into something and even one other person learns from it or connects with it...that's cool.

[img] http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/34832b/ttc.png[/img]
  • That is so funny most everyone is choosing cheapskate. To me, a cheapskate is someone who is a stingy tipper, never offers to pick up the bill, doesn't reciprocate gift giving, makes a point of collecting money they deem is 'theirs' no matter how many meals you've cooked for them and dinners out you've bought them etc...I can't stand those kinds of people! I would definitely rather burst into tears at a moment's notice than be known as a horrible tipper.
  • These are really interesting questions.

1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate? Cheapskate? well I am thinking more along the lines of being frugal. I would never want to be thought of as someone who takes advantage of others, or has bad manners like making someone else pay the bill.

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly. A gorgeous guy

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers? A successful person in a family of losers ? I came from a family with really high expectations; I remember coming home with a 98% on my test, and instead of saying "good job", my dad would say "why isn't it a 100%?". So it would be nice to have less pressure from family.

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations? Retire at age 40. Time and life experiences are more precious to me than my career, I've just never found that much value or sense of accomplishment in it.

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard. Sells moderately with great acclaim ? I'd rather write a book that people find meaningful and can really enjoy time & again, rather than just milking the current trends for money and 15 minutes of fame.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/megs1383/4443972791_4c93e2a3c2_m.jpg[/IMG]

Baby #1 EDD 11/13/13

Crybaby.

Gorgeous man! 

I would rather be the only successful person. 

Age 40, and like Choo, I would travel the world.

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard.

I would rather have the mod. sells and great acclaim.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.12
    <a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/chaleybeth06/?action=view
  • I asked David all of the same questions...so i'll put both of our answers

1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate?

S: Crybaby D:cheapskate

S + D: gorgeous opposite sex

S + D: successful in a family of losers... we both said we would help them out though.

S+D: both retire at 40... travel, relax, etc.

S+D: both said moderate sales with with remembered forever

• We played a fun game this weekend while my family was in town, called "Would You Rather?" So eye-opening and fun! Let's do a few for Monday fun.

1) Would you rather: Be known as a crybaby or a cheapskate? Cheapskate

2) Would you rather: Be a gorgeous member of the opposite sex or keep your gender and be ugly. Hot guy

3) Would you rather: Be an underachiever relative to your very successful family or be the only successful person in a family of losers? Underachiever. 

4) Would you rather: Retire at the age of 40 with found money or retire at the age of 60 with the same amount of money but after fulfilling your career aspirations? Found money.  I enjoy my career, but I don't really have aspirations about it.  It pays the bills.

5) Would you rather: Write a book and have it sell moderately with great acclaim and have it remembered forever or write a book that's a best-seller, but that people don't highly regard. Moderate sales with great acclaim and forever remembered.

BFP#1 11.9.10 (EDD 7.15.11) M/C 11.13.10 @5W1D
    BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11 due to Pre-E
    BFP#3 10.2.12 (EDD 6.12.13) MMC 11.24.12 @11.5w, had passed in 7th week
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • This survey is really interesting to me, because it's showing how important your personal definitions of the words/phrases are in selecting the answers...

Like with question #1 -- I, like angelfire, hear "cheapskate" and think mooch, money-grubber, bad tipper, stingy, not generous, ungrateful, etc. etc. etc. I hear "crybaby" and think overly sensitive and emotional. I'd MUCH rather have people think I'm too sensitive than have people think I care more about money than humans.

Same with question #5 -- I read that as "Would you rather write a book that nobody buys but a couple of reviews say is good and one day literature students will be forced to study OR write a book that a wide audience enjoys, purchases, and shares but that obnoxious stick-up-their-a$$ critics don't understand/praise as readily"?  

Very interesting indeed...

Photobucket
  • Go semantics!

For me, cheapskate it someone who doesn't like to spend money, but that doesn't mean it's at the detriment of others. A crybaby is someone who is always complaining about every tiny injustice, and often creates issues that aren't there. So cheapskate all the way!

image image
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Crybaby. My definition of "cheapskate" is a penny-pincher and I'd rather be known as overly sensitive than someone who won't give a dime to help a friend.

Oh yes, I'd for sure be a hot dude.

This is so hilarious to me. One of my family jokes is that our side of the tree is the "bottom of the curve" because we hear the praises of other members in the distant family. So I'll pick "underachiever".

Retire at 40 and see the world!

I'll go with the best-seller. It would be so awesome to have a lot of people read my books, even though they aren't very good (my personal criticism of past writings).