Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Let's talk about "stuff"

During our move, Jared and I tossed out, donated, and dispersed to family and friends a ton of "stuff."

Things like serving bowls, a DDR dance pad, steak knives (um, yeah. steak knives)

There's still a ton of "stuff" in boxes in our basement.

Do you have a strategy for not accumulating stuff? For getting rid of it?

Re: Let's talk about "stuff"

• I have a stuff pile and donate it to goodwill once a year.  But there is one going up close by so I will be dumping a lot more often I think.  I don't think I have the patience for a garage sale..   Bigger ticket items could go on craig's list I guess.
  • image Tigers:
    I have a stuff pile and donate it to goodwill once a year.  But there is one going up close by so I will be dumping a lot more often I think.  I don't think I have the patience for a garage sale..   Bigger ticket items could go on craig's list I guess.

I thought that might be a Goodwill going up near us... My rule of thumb - since I was previously a horrible pack rat (I mean horrible. I had notebooks from 6th or 7th grade hanging around... dumb) - is that I go through the "stuff" at least once a year, and if it hasn't been used in a year, it goes bye-bye unless it has sentimental value. 

And, on a side note, it took us about 14 months to go-through and unpack all the boxes in the basement after we moved... gross 

• Well, first thing is first...don't buy random stuff.  If you see it and love it, but think to yourself "What would I do with this?" or "Do I really need this?", even if it's an awesome deal, don't buy it.  Unless you have a specific use or an immediate place to put it, don't buy it.  It's been a huge help in keeping random stuff out of the house, plus it saves money.

About once a year I go through the house and go through closets, baskets, and drawers and toss/donate everything I haven't looked at or thought of in at least 6 months even if it was expensive/cool/might use some day.  Lately though there hasn't been much as I've tried to stick to my "If I can't think of what I would realistically do with this, I won't buy it" rule.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have a baby LOL. Then all the room you would have for YOUR stuff has to be cleaned out to make room for baby stuff ;o)

J/k... sorta.

We go through the stuff and toss it out. Bigger items get set out by the road for the trash man, but usually people driving by take them (desk chairs, file cabinet, etc.). We also take stuff to Goodwill in Dec. so we only have to hang on to the tax receipt for a few months haha!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic CafeMom Tickers
  • image LVila:

Have a baby LOL. Then all the room you would have for YOUR stuff has to be cleaned out to make room for baby stuff ;o)

J/k... sorta.

Yes. 

• For the last two years, I've done a New Year's Day purge.  I spend New Year's Day (and/or a couple surrounding days) going through closets, boxes, and cupboards and hunting for stuff that we can get rid of.  It's a kind of annual out with the old, in with the new kind of thing.  I find it refreshing.

My husband tends to be a packrat when it comes to a lot of things though, so that slows me down.  This year, he's expressed interest in purging some of his stuff though, so I'm hopeful.

Our stuff that is in decent shape goes to either my mom's office (she works at a domestic violence shelter and they accept donations for their safe house, transitional housing, and thrift store) or Goodwill.

• 1) When I moved in with Brian I got rid of a TON of stuff. Probably about 50% of what I owned. 2) For the most part Brian and I are not pack rats, Althoguht there a few random, weird things that Brian refueses to let me get rid of. As long as we have room, I won't fight it until we move someday. 3) I'm starting to go by the "if we haven't used it since I moved in 5 years ago, then there is no need for us to keep it
  • Dang Nest I wasn't finished.

1) When I moved in with Brian I got rid of a TON of stuff. Probably about 50% of what I owned.

2) For the most part Brian and I are not pack rats, Although there a few random, weird things that Brian refuses to let me get rid of. As long as we have room, I won't fight it until we move someday.

3) I'm starting to go by the "if we haven't used it since I moved in 5 years ago, then there is no need for us to keep it.

4) Since we finished the basement, we have no storage space other than one small area. I tell myself we can't expand past that area.

5) My family has a HUGE garage sale every year. So stuff that I can sell, I tag it as I pack it away and ship it over that way. Sometimes I help out at the same and other times I don't.  Bad sister...I know.

6) For stuff not worth me selling or stuff family may have given me and I don't want them to know we got rid of, I donate to Goodwill. I'm out on 28th street enough that I will make a quick trip so it doesn't pile up.

7) I'm with TheWop, since we have a small house, we really watch what we buy.

• image Kasa:

For the last two years, I've done a New Year's Day purge.  I spend New Year's Day (and/or a couple surrounding days) going through closets, boxes, and cupboards and hunting for stuff that we can get rid of.  It's a kind of annual out with the old, in with the new kind of thing.  I find it refreshing.

My husband tends to be a packrat when it comes to a lot of things though, so that slows me down.  This year, he's expressed interest in purging some of his stuff though, so I'm hopeful.

Our stuff that is in decent shape goes to either my mom's office (she works at a domestic violence shelter and they accept donations for their safe house, transitional housing, and thrift store) or Goodwill.

This is a FANTASTIC idea, I will definitely be doing it this year. What a great way to start a new year, with less crap!