Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Stinky smell coming from my floor drain

I have a 2nd floor laundry room with a floor drain. We've only lived in the house for 3 months and the drain is super stinky. Because it's new construction, I thought it was possible that there was debris in there, but I ran a drain snake through it and it still smells. Is there some trick to getting rid of the odour?

Re: Stinky smell coming from my floor drain

• Thanks...I'll give it a try!
  • We would have that problem in the kitchen at my college job. One of my weekly duties was to 'water the building' as we lovingly called it- I basically poured a pitcher of water down it. When I remembered, no smell!
  • image jnlkyo6202009:
    We would have that problem in the kitchen at my college job. One of my weekly duties was to 'water the building' as we lovingly called it- I basically poured a pitcher of water down it. When I remembered, no smell!

This should solve your problem without having to put other things down the drain.  I work for a plumbing company and usully a floor drain odor is because the trap is dry and sewer gasses are exiting through it.  Pouring water down there will "re-seal" the trap. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image myownparis:
    image jnlkyo6202009:
    We would have that problem in the kitchen at my college job. One of my weekly duties was to 'water the building' as we lovingly called it- I basically poured a pitcher of water down it. When I remembered, no smell!

This should solve your problem without having to put other things down the drain.  I work for a plumbing company and usully a floor drain odor is because the trap is dry and sewer gasses are exiting through it.  Pouring water down there will "re-seal" the trap. 

This is what a plumber told us when our guest room bathroom would stink. It was because we would go months without using that room.  Now we go in once a week to flush and run the shower and sink for a minute. and