June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Confession

Can I start a confession thread?

I am incredibly weird about my kitchen pans and don't use any aerosol non stick sprays on them since they leave a fine sticky mess that you can't clean completely.  I made sure there was none in the kitchen so that when DH's mother went to prepare her super special broccoli and rice casserole for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner she would not be able to gunk up my pans.  Since we don't have any, she's going to go by the grocery store and pick some up for us.  I made DH call her and insist she use butter in the saute pan and only use the spray on her own baking dish which she brought from home. 

I may clean every pan in the kitchen after I get home from work.

Re: Confession

• Tonight is a HUGE drinking night in my hometown and everyone from the last 15 years of graduating classes go out to the bars. For some reason every year I go out, I feel the need to look my best. I don't know why the hell I feel this way considering 95% of the people who went to my high school still live in my hometown and have done absolutely nothing with their lives.

For some reason I still feel the like I need to prove myself to people even though I am one of the few who actually got the hell out of the town and did something with myself.

I always have a good time, but honestly, I should just go out in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and get over myself.

• Along shag's confession, I confess I'm a bit sad about not going out on one of the biggest drinking nights, but we're opting to hang out with my bff and her husband at their house and play board games.  We're old.

image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • image mamie329:

Along shag's confession, I confess I'm a bit sad about not going out on one of the biggest drinking nights, but we're opting to hang out with my bff and her husband at their house and play board games.  We're old.

I confess that I'm so uncool I didn't even know tonight was a big drinking night.

• I confess that I sorta wanted to go out tonight too but its actually more fun going out in my hometown with my HS friends than it would be here as none of our friends here do anything.  So I'll be baking and probably catching up on a couple of DVR shows with DH.  Now I feel really old. 

And Shag - I feel the exact same way and do the same thing even though half my friends go out in sweatshirts and Carhartt jackets at home.

• I am pretty sure it's not a big drinking night everywhere. My hometown and the hometown next to me have the longest running high school football rivalry game in the country. Everyone comes home to go to the game on thanksgiving morning. It's pretty ridiculous. People from our town try to paint the streets of the rival town blue, and they try to paint ours red. A few years ago, our rival town dumped gasoline in the 50 yrd line of our football field to spell out FHS and lit it on fire. We replace their american flag in front of their high school with an LHS flag....the list goes on.

There are more cops out tonight between our two towns than you've probably ever seen in your life.

• Shag-your hometown sounds a lot like mine! Tonight is THE going-out night, with a huge Turkey Bowl tomorrow. I love it. And miss it ;(?There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting dolled up to go out!

I confess that I am pissed D is working tomorrow even though he's the one working and can't really help it. Not very understanding of me.?

• image stephriz:
    image mamie329:

Along shag's confession, I confess I'm a bit sad about not going out on one of the biggest drinking nights, but we're opting to hang out with my bff and her husband at their house and play board games.  We're old.

I confess that I'm so uncool I didn't even know tonight was a big drinking night.

Me too. Definitely not a big drinking night in my hometown. Actually, there are no "big drinking nights" in my hometown. There are only 2 or 3 bars, all of which have opened in the last couple of years much to the chagrin of the church ladies. Welcome to the Bible Belt y'all.

• This whole going out and drinking thing that all of you ladies are talking about is a new one on me! Is it an east coast thing? I've never heard of it!

I confess that I am ::this:: close to going out and buying a new outfit today to cook Thanksgiving dinner in. I also just added two more dishes to my Thanksgiving dinner menu just today. Mike has a few friends coming from his class that have nowhere to spend the holiday, and I want to make them all jealous of Mike's fabulous wife and her culinary prowess.

• image chrissyvcm:

This whole going out and drinking thing that all of you ladies are talking about is a new one on me! Is it an east coast thing? I've never heard of it!

I confess that I am ::this:: close to going out and buying a new outfit today to cook Thanksgiving dinner in. I also just added two more dishes to my Thanksgiving dinner menu just today. Mike has a few friends coming from his class that have nowhere to spend the holiday, and I want to make them all jealous of Mike's fabulous wife and her culinary prowess.

Definitely understandable. Check out a post on F&B today about what you're wearing to TG.  So much cute stuff!

image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • image chrissyvcm:

I am the same way - I totally want to impress the ILs tomorrow and am going all out rather than making the easy green bean casserole, broccoli, cheese and rice, etc.  I'm hoping they miss me next year when we go to Iowa and they have to go MILs.

• This is deep, but I confess I hate my dad. 

My parents are in the midst of a fantastically horrendous divorce, in which he owns my brother several thousand dollars (that he earned while in the military, in Iraq, where. he could have been killed).  My father is filing for bankruptcy because his business crumbled due to the failing economy, my mother is going to have to file as well because of his and his partner's bad decision making, and it's a huge clusterfuuck.

My dad is currently living in a 1500 square foot gorgeous 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment in North Carolina, essentially living off credit cards, while my mother is living in a crappy duplex she's renting from a friend during major renovations in MA, and busting her ass to make ends meat.

My dad calls me to guilt me into still liking him. His last message said something to the effect of "I'm calling you because I love you, even though I know you won't call me back".

I can't say anything because my dad is bi-polar and has threatened to kill himself.  I refuse to be the one who pushes him over the edge. His father and aunt both kill themselves, and I know there is a very good possibility he will as well.  He refuses medication, he convinces himself that my mom is dating all these people in MA, he calls her constantly.

I can't effing stand him, and neither can B, but I have no idea how we're going to handle Christmas.  He's not coming down here for Thanksgiving, and I know my mom loves him and would take him back in a second, but we can't pretend nothing is wrong. And it really, really sucks.

My poor mom is working her ass off to do something with her life (she previously owned 2 residential house cleaning businesses) but she hated it, so she's going back to school to be an RN.  My little sister, who's 16, has major health issues (most recently had a metal rod placed in her back from her neck to her tailbone) so while she's growing up, my mom is still her primary caretaker.

Its just a huge mess, and I currently hate anything that has to do with western ma or family that doesn't include my husband.

I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends - I love everybody here. But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late, and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments. And that's when it is nice to let them know that you can beat them up.
  • I confess that I'm dreading tomorrow because we have to go to EvSIL's for dinner - even though we haven't spoken to her since July. I hope that C decides that we can just go for dessert.

I also confess that I'm scared that I won't be productive at home and I'll have to go back to Montreal for a few more weeks.

image image
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • And I def meant "owed" and "killed".  2 glasses of wine at lunch has made me a little loopy lol

I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends - I love everybody here. But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late, and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments. And that's when it is nice to let them know that you can beat them up.
  • I'm really sorry stjoe- that is a mess.

On a way lighter note- huge huge drinking night in my hometown too. I don't get in until 10:30pm and then have to leave for the airport at 4:30am, but am still debating going out.  I think I will probably wuss out and crash though.

• Holy cripes, Walt. I knew there was some parent drama, but ohmygod.
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • FIL is really starting to piss me off by calling almost daily to try to guilt us into traveling for TG.  DH has to work at 2:45am on Fri. so there is no way that we are going to drive 2 hours to his grandparents, eat at 3, then drive 2 hours back so he can get maybe 6 hours of sleep before working a 10 hr. day.  We didn't want everyone else to have to rearrange their plans around us so we made plans closer to home.  I don't care that BIL is going because BIL doesn't have to work and has missed most family events for the past year.  This is the first one we've missed and we already chose another date that we can visit that will allow us more time with everyone. 
  • St Joes, I think you need a vent post rather than a confession post because those are some difficult family dynamics, and you shouldn't feel guilty or ashamed for how you're feeling.  I'm glad you and your husband can be a family now.

• Well, this is going to pale in comparison but I am bummed out about our Thanksgiving.  People are flaking left and right and it looks like it's just going to be us and my parents.  I am so grateful that they are flying out to be with us, but what's the point of going to all this effort for a stupid dinner for four?  I bought new tablecloths, we're going to use our wedding china, all for what?
  • Sorry to hear about everyone's family drama. Sorry you and your mom have to deal with that St. Joe. What a bad situation.?

I definitely have some IL family drama of my own to add, but won't. Thank God we all have our Husbands and can concentrate on our own families now. The holidays are not about pleasing everyone else!?

• Sorry for the thread downer :( I know its ok for me to feel this way, but I actually feel a lot better getting all that out there.  Its hard to talk to my friends about it, or family for that matter, and B just gets so angry he looks like he's going to hit something (which is so out of character for him... he's such a sweetheart, just fiercely protective of people he loves, and seeing this happen...) It's just a mess, and because I know a lot of people read my blog that are family/ friends, it's hard to express my feelings in there... So...

In other news, imagining my husband hitting something brought back memories of Andy Bernard hitting the wall (half inch drywall!) and it made me smile.  Little things, haha

• Whoa Walt - that really sucks. I don't even know what to say. I'm glad you can vent here. I hope your dad gets some help because it sounds like that's the only thing that will help everyone. And kudos to your mom for starting a new beginning at this stage.
    image image
    October 2013 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    EDD 10/3/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • image stephriz:
    image mamie329:

ditto