Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NFP- Natural Family Planning for birth control.

Hello, I'm going to start using the NFP method of birth control.  I was hoping for advice from women who are also using it.  I was also hoping someone could give me a link of an easy to use chart- I've seen a few online and they seem a bit overwhelming!

Thanks!

Re: NFP- Natural Family Planning for birth control.

• I haven't actually started charting or anything but when I asked the same question I was told to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Tony Weschler and go to fertilityfriend.com.
  • If you really want to learn, take a class with a teaching couple from www.ccli.org They have their own paper charts or their new charting software. Personally, I use the Taking Charge of Your Fertility Software (or use their paper charts at http://www.ovusoft.com/library/chartpdf.asp )because I like that much better over Fertility Friend.

I have used one form or another of NFP for over 5 years for both TTA and TTC.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • FertilityFriend.com!!!! I am charting for the first time come AF next week, and will be using this website. It's free to join, and SO much easier and more environmentally freindly than paper. Also, you can view/update it from anywhere since it is online. It requires minimal input, and basically does all the work (charting that is, you've still gotta check your cm lol!) for you. It also has a course you can enroll in for free that sends you emails on the basics of how to chart and what not. I really like it because I can just note the observations I make in the morning, and when I have time at work, or later that night when I get home, I can input the information, instead of having to try and get all that done in the morning while sleepy, and running late! Lol. I love the idea of not having to keep up with paper, or trust my own graphing skills...I hope this helps!
    BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The charts really aren't that complicated once you understand what it all means.  Definitely read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and it will make sense (the charts are available on their website, but you really need to read the book too). 

I've been charting for about six months now; at first I was using both FertilityFriend and charting on paper, but I really disliked the FertilityFriend website.  You should probably know how to do it by hand even if you choose to use software; I know some women have had problems with FFs ovulation dates.

Good luck!

• Charting is awesome - DH and I have used it for over 2 and a half years without any problems. I've learned so much about my body and I feel empowered and in control of BC. Just give yourself enough time to really understand your body and your cycle before going without protection. (Usually 3 months is recommended - I'm paranoid so I did more like 8!) Also be VERY careful in the pre-ovulation time - that's where mistakes are made!

Definitely check out Ovusoft.com. Their message boards are great and their software is FAR better than Fertility Friend in my opinion. You have to download Ovusoft's charting program for $40, but it's worth it. In my experience the ovulation date has always been very accurate, but I always go with my OWN evaluation of my body too. Never leave something that important up to just a computer program! 

Good luck and happy charting! 

:)

• Hi, I'm new here. Anyways, We have been on the Billings method a little bit before our wedding. Something that we were told was that in order to get to know your body, you needed to chart yourself for a whole cycle (about 4 weeks) without having sex (good thing this was not a problem for us since it was before we got married, but it probably was for the married couples that were taking the class). You can look in the Billings website for more info: boma-usa.org. We really like this method, but all I can recommend is to make sure you really inform yourself about any method that you wish to work with and that both of you (your H and you) are okay with it, in that way it can really work. Hope it helps. Good luck with everything.
    "A wedding is a day . . . A MARRIAGE IS A LIFETIME" --- What is LOVE? 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 (the real meaning of love) Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers EDD:09.13.12 m/c:02.19.12 @ 10w3d Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • We also use the Billings Method and love it. It's been pretty easy for me to learn and chart since I have a pretty regular pattern. It may be a little more difficult if you don't have a regular cycle. But definitely check it out. It feels great getting to know your body so well and not having to put all the chemicals from other BCs in your body.
    ?image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use the rythym method, and have for about 2 or 3 years.  I got pregnant on BC (my son is now 5) plus it messed up my hormones quite a bit.  Anyways, it is super easy, when I am fertile (14 days from 1st day of period), my H just pulls out.  I'd prctice the pulling out thing if your H isn't used to it to make sure you don't end up with a surprise, but overall, I'd definitely recommend it.

GL!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image minn85:

I use the rythym method, and have for about 2 or 3 years.  I got pregnant on BC (my son is now 5) plus it messed up my hormones quite a bit.  Anyways, it is super easy, when I am fertile (14 days from 1st day of period), my H just pulls out.  I'd prctice the pulling out thing if your H isn't used to it to make sure you don't end up with a surprise, but overall, I'd definitely recommend it.

GL!!

This truly is the rhythm method (just counting days) which generally doesn't work for many people. Although I am glad it is working for you - you must have a very regular cycle. 

Most women do not ovulate on the 14th day of every cycle and if you are just starting out with NFP I would caution against this. Also, you are actually more likely to get pregnant from sex 3 - 5 days BEFORE you ovulate than the day of ovulation because sperm can live in a fertile environment that long. The only way to really know for sure when you ovulate is to chart temps and cervical fluid and position. No matter how regular you are, your ovulation date can change due to stress, travel, sleep pattern changes, or just randomly. I am very regular but would never trust just counting days like this - I only trust a combination of all three - temps, cervical fluid and cervical position.

GL! 

:) 

• Thank you for your input.  I'm definitely excited to try this method- I've been on the birth control pill for almost 10 years and I've heard any longer than that may increase your risk of breast cancer (or at least some studies say so- you never know I guess). 

It's weird to think that I've been on the pill my whole adult life, and I'm really intrigued to see what if any changes occur to my mood, etc, when my hormones go back to normal.  This NFP method will be great for my husband and I because even if we mess up it'll be ok because we do really want a baby so if it comes a little quicker than we plan then we'll be fine with that.

• I love NFP!  I've been on it for 2 1/2 years without any problems at all. We are using NFP to postpone pregnancy during grad school and as soon as we graduate and I get a year or two of work in, we'll be using it to get pregnant.  Congrats on switching over to NFP from the pill.  I think you'll really like it!

Katie gave you the CCLI website above, and I highly recommend using any and all of their products, especially their book and charts.  You can shop their stuff here http://ccli.org/shop/onlineshopping.php?criteria=category&f_cat=basic&ind=1&order_by=name.

• image JennES00:
    image minn85:

I use the rythym method, and have for about 2 or 3 years.? I got pregnant on BC (my son is now 5) plus it messed up my hormones quite a bit.? Anyways, it is super easy, when I am fertile (14 days from 1st day of period), my H just pulls out.? I'd prctice the pulling out thing if your H isn't used to it to make sure you don't end up with a surprise, but overall, I'd definitely recommend it.

GL!!

?

This truly is the rhythm method (just counting days) which generally doesn't work for many people. Although I am glad it is working for you - you must have a very regular cycle.?

Most women do not ovulate on the 14th day of every cycle and if you are just starting out with NFP I would caution against this. Also, you are actually more likely to get pregnant from sex 3 - 5 days BEFORE you ovulate than the day of ovulation because sperm can live in a fertile environment that long. The only way to really know for sure when you ovulate is to chart temps and cervical fluid and position. No matter how regular you are, your ovulation date can change due to stress, travel, sleep pattern changes, or just randomly. I am very regular but would never trust just counting days like this - I only trust a combination of all three - temps, cervical fluid and cervical position.

GL!?

?

:)?

?

GL, I agree with you, we all ovulate at different times.

The reason why I like the billings method because it works for those with irregular periods, and I like that allows you to look for ways to be intimate (ex. communication, or activities together) with your H on those days in which you can't be sexually intimate.

"A wedding is a day . . . A MARRIAGE IS A LIFETIME" --- What is LOVE? 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 (the real meaning of love) Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers EDD:09.13.12 m/c:02.19.12 @ 10w3d Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers