Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What are your must have flight carry ons?

I do two European business trips a year, plus I lived in England for five years and my husband is British so I do and have done a fair amount of transatlantic flying.

I was thinking about this on my flight from Hamburg yesterday.  I now have a MUST HAVE list of necessitites that I've minimalized to a science.

• Pashmina/Shawl - can be used as a blanket or rolled up and used as a neckroll
  • Hoodie (wear) - can be pulled down over your eyes as a makeshift eyemask
  • Water - lots of it
  • Mints/gum
  • Advil PM
  • Kashi and/or Luna bars, at least two.
  • Slipper socks
  • Earplugs
  • Moisturizer (hand and facial)
  • Hand sanitizer
  • A magazine and a book (the book as a necessity is new because I dealt with a broken entertainment system yesterday)
  • And I wear comfy clothes and slip on shoes and no makeup*.

*generally I never have to go straight into a business meeting on arrival

What are your flight must haves for yourself?

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!

Re: What are your must have flight carry ons?

• For an overseas trip:  socks, pashmina used as a scarf, travel pillow, travel blanket, iPod, magazines, books, eyemask
  • Slip on shoes 

A book

gum/mints

a small snack/drink (usually varies)

A light jacket (though I like you're idea of using a shawl)

travel pillow

lotion

if it's an overseas flight, I like to have a magazine and socks, too.

also, I usually go to the bathroom early in the flight and wet a paper towel because it gets so dry on planes. I'll cup it over my nose (inconspicuously) if I feel dried out. it sounds really weird as I type it, but it works. 

I usually have a lot more with me because I don't like checking luggage, but those are the things I like to have easily accessible.  

• my list is almost identical to yours but i always bring my ipod and a puzzle book as well. i dont bring earplugs. i can sleep in grand central :) also no advil pm-just regular motrin.
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Sanitizing wipes/hand sanitizer

Xanax & Ambien

iPod-Laptop (or dvd player)

Cashmere socks

Trashy tabloid magazines

Any work stuff I need

Earplugs

Water

• ipod & laptop

easy shoes to get on and off - usually sandals or flats

a hoodie 

water

gum 

klonopin for anxiety - don't need it everytime but it's good to have on hand

a book and/or magazine 

headphones (goes with ipod I suppose) 

as long as I am comfortable - have something to stay warm - and something to keep busy - I'm good!

• this is what i packed for my flight tomorrow.

book

gum

i'll get a bottle water at the terminal

purse inside my carry on

boarding pass/flight info/passports/etc..

my quart size zipper bag (contacts, hand sanitizer; lotion, lip gloss)

hair brush

i'm going to wear some light layers too incase its chilly.

• For an overseas flight?

- Wear a cardigan or light fleece over short sleeves
    - Wear socks
    - Wear shoes that tie (my feet swell)
    - Book
    - Neck pillow
    - Eyemask
    - Noise-isolating earphones
    - Airline earphone plug adapter
    - Earplugs
    - Tissues
    - Pen (for filling out immigration forms)

I keep everything but the clothes and the book (and the neck pillow because it won't fit) in a little Singapore Airlines pouch so that it's ready to go whenever I fly.

• The only thing I'd add to your list is my iPod and I usually carry my camera on board too - I'd be pissed if I got to my destination and it had broken in my suitcase or if my luggage was lost.  Now that I have a laptop, I'll probably be bringing that along, too.
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/o8wftk.jpg[/IMG]
  • - my travel pillow

- comfy fluffy socks

- elastics to put my hair up

- hand sanitizer & lotion

- ipod

- mags & book(s)

- travel itineraries & plans to go over

- sometimes DH & I play travel Scrabble (if he's not sleeping, lol)

- my friend Ativan...

Just celebrated 6 blessed wedded years! 9.24.06
    imageimageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I take all the usuals you ladies listed, but I'm gonna add one thing: undies. I've gotten stuck more times than I like to remember, waiting in a random city for the "next" flight out tomorrow (with my luggage headed who knows where). If I can't have a full change of clothes, at least some fresh skivvies are nice.
  • My purse, which always has lip balm, tylenol & advil, airborne, iPod, hand sanitizer, & mints.  Also wear a knit jacket and I always bring magazines, my jewelry and all of my powdered makeup in my carryon.  I have had too many eyeshadows, blushes, compacts break up whenever I check them with my luggage so I've made a habit of stuffing them in my carryon.  I fly back and forth alot between NYC and London so I always have a bunch of landing cards for both countries completed with all the info except the date and flight number.
  • A lot of the same- ipod/iphone (ipod video and iphone- my iphone alone can't fit all my music/books on mp3 AND movies/tv shows I want so I split them), earplugs and splitter (so DH and I can watch shows together), cardigan, neck pillow, pen, ativan, snacks (trail mix, laughing cow cheeses), moisturizer, makeup, contact solution/case, glasses, my camera, passport, itineraries 

I'm going to add one more thing that might sound weird for a 20something, but for my insanely long trip to Thailand I am thinking about bringing some coloring sheets and colored pencils...Yes I am 12 yrs old :)  Just thought that sleeping/movies/music might get boring after 20+ hours.

• I pretty much bring the same except I always have benadryl.  I have some major allergies and I always take it on a long flight so it is in my system when I land.  I hate to spend my first day of vacation sneezing my head off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • chapstick, water, and my kindle

Topher's 1 Year Old Chocolate Coma