April 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ok so whats going to happen to me!?

My original thoughts were to get the seasonal flu shot (even tho ive never had one) and skip the h1n1.

Well now everyone is in a panic, the drs are scaring the bejesus out of all of my pregnant friends and myself included. The news, the doctors, the internet... everything. Well now I finally caved and decided to try and get both of them and I can't find any place around here offering the shot bc of the "lack of vaccines" and i called our local walgreens and they wont do pregnant women and my job offers just the seasonal flu shot but they wont give it to me either bc i'm pregnant and it's not the mercury free shot.

Sooooooooooooo I guess i'm screwed? They're scaring me to death over here!

Re: Ok so whats going to happen to me!?

• call your local health department and see if they have it.

You could also see if you can get one at work if you have a note from your OB. 

I got the shot with thimerosal last year.  FWIW, it's going to be nearly impossible to find an H1N1 shot that is preservative free.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i got mine at a CVS minute clinic (just the seasonal flu shot).  do you have those by you?  they are all preservative free.

the H1N1 is available in Miami, but i'm hoping it is closer to me soon.  if not, i'll definitely go take one down in Miami before i go on that cruise in 2 weeks. 

• def call your OB, they should have a supply or know where you can get some.  Have you checked your local county health department?  Most of the private doctors supplies have been diverted to the county health dept.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker married 4/19/2008
  • Yeah the NJ doctors offces dont have any because we have a shortage of vaccines. I ended up calling the health dept and the earliest they could give me an appt was Dec 1st so i'm trying to stay away from the people at work who may or may not have the flu. They sent 1 girl home 2 days ago because she was hacking up a lung every 2 minutes. Good thing we have purell dispensers around the building!
  • I am not getting any flu shots.  I don't normally get a flu shot because I usually get super sick from them.  I am scared of the H1N1 shot. I am worried it hasnt been tested enough.  I think I am young and health enough that I should be able to fight it off.

• image BeckF4:

I am not getting any flu shots.  I don't normally get a flu shot because I usually get super sick from them.  I am scared of the H1N1 shot. I am worried it hasnt been tested enough.  I think I am young and health enough that I should be able to fight it off.

See, that is my fear, i've never had a regular flu shot and i'm not sure how i will react to it. I am also scared by the h1n1 shot as well but everyone keeps telling me since i'm pregnant i really have to.. i've been on the fence for weeks now.

• image PammyG08:
    image BeckF4:

I am not getting any flu shots.  I don't normally get a flu shot because I usually get super sick from them.  I am scared of the H1N1 shot. I am worried it hasnt been tested enough.  I think I am young and health enough that I should be able to fight it off.

See, that is my fear, i've never had a regular flu shot and i'm not sure how i will react to it. I am also scared by the h1n1 shot as well but everyone keeps telling me since i'm pregnant i really have to.. i've been on the fence for weeks now.

I normally do not get the flu shot. I used to and every.single.time I got the flu. This year my doctor really, really wanted me to get it because I smoke and what not so I got the regular flu shot. Wouldn't you know it, I got the damn flu! I wont ever get it again. I don't intend to get the H1N1 shot either, even if I was pregnant I wouldn't get it because I don't think its been tested enough.

And if you do get it get the shot and not the spray because the spray contains live virus.

• I got the regular flu shot and it's been awhile since I've gotten one, and I was just fine.

They have the H1N1 vaccine available at my clinic and I think I will be getting it in a week or so.  My ob says it just like the regular flu shot and it has been tested on pregnant women.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • I don't normally get them either...but got the seasonal mercury-free from the OB...and just finished standing in a 5 hour line at a clinic in another county to get the H1N1 (my OB and nurse mother highly recommending it). I would have done the mercury one...but lucked since they had non-mercury version available! Studies are also starting to show that the flu protection you get now, transfers to the babies first 3-6 months and translates into heavier, fuller-term babies (probably because mama isn't sick)...a nice bonus.

My OB clinic wasn't going to have any H1N1 in until well into December or January, our whole county is out, and we are flying over the holidays. The vaccine they give pregnant women is dead...you really can't get the virus from it, but if you've been exposed beforehand, or it mutates you can still get sick.The last time they had a vaccine problem was thirty years ago...I'd like to think they know what they are doing after all that time. But I also understand not wanting to get the shots at all...so you'll hear no flaming from me ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage