Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

recipe help, please?

What exactly is "pork stew meat"? I've seen beef stew meat packaged at the grocery store, but never pork stew meat. If I can't find a package with that label, what cut should I be looking for?

It's a crockpot recipe for sweet and sour pork, if that helps.

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: recipe help, please?

• Not sure, but you could use pork tenderloin, it often goes on a really good sale and it would be really tasty in that type of recipe! I often roast it in the crock pot.
  • Hmmm, I've only ever seen stewing beef. Maybe some chops or tenderloin chopped up?
  • I've chopped up thicker pork chops (like the ones from Costco) for slow cooker recipes before. I would try that or a tenderloin chopped up.

Our answered prayer, Emilie Helen

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, Provera+FSH+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    My Blog
    My Chart

• I'm going to go against everyone else and say don't use tenderloin. For the amount that you will be cooking it, it will end up really tough. You'll want to use a less expensive cut of pork (side or shoulder should work). They have more fat in them that will break down over time and you end up with that "fall off the bone" style of meat.
  • CBLCBL member

image CanadianBio:
    I'm going to go against everyone else and say don't use tenderloin. For the amount that you will be cooking it, it will end up really tough. You'll want to use a less expensive cut of pork (side or shoulder should work). They have more fat in them that will break down over time and you end up with that "fall off the bone" style of meat.

Ditto!  Tenderloin is meant to be a quick cooking meat and if you cook it for that long it will be like leather.  You need a cheap, tough cut as those will break down over time and get the desired "stewing" effect of getting more tender as they slowly cook.  

• I'm with the later camp.  you're going to want to use something like a pork shoulder butt.  Not the most attractive cut of meat but will be good for braising in a stew.
  • I would use a boston butt cut.