Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

OMG Tropic Thunder!

DH and I just saw this. It is HILARIOUS.

I think my face hurts from laughing. 

imageimage

Re: OMG Tropic Thunder!

• Oh, I'm glad!  We really want to see that!  Maybe next weekend :0
  • Oh, I'm glad it is good! I want to see it!
    Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 image image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am not condemning anyone who has seen this movie or wants to see this movie, but personally I will not be seeing it.  I do not want to see a movie that makes fun of people with disabilities.  My BFF has a daughter with Down Syndrome (she calls me her aunt) and I cannot even imagine what we will tell her when she realizes someone is making fun of her or other people with disabilities.  I also never want to hear the word "retard" or "retarded" when it is spoken in the context of describing someone or something.  It just kills me. 

They don't tell you in the previews all of this...I didn't know until my BFF told me.  This is part of the email she sent me and comes from a mother of an 8 year old daughter with Down Syndrome: "It is amazing in a society that wants to lock people up for gay bashing and hate speech against others of different ethnic backgrounds that we are content to allow bashing and hate speech to continue against this group of people, many of whom cannot defend themselves.  We pray that people?s eyes will be opened to how hurtful this is for people with cognitive disabilities and their families."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Story?id=5560702&page=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/10/AR2008081001869.html

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

1st pregnancy: BFP- 6/28/09 - Found out we lost our little girl on 10/9/09 at 19w 4d - D&E- 10/14/09

June 2010, corrective surgery for Septate Uterus and large fibroids

2nd pregnancy: BFP- 10/18/10 - Slow rising, non-doubling HCGs, no heart beat. Non-viable pregnancy, D&C- 11/12/10

Started Metformin 6/30/11, Started Clomid 7/20/11 - Unsuccessful

HSG and Laparoscopic surgery revealed blocked tubes and lots of scar tissue...IVF here we come!!!

Surprise BFP naturally!!! IT'S A BOY!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• ala_1220: I 100% agree with you.  I worked with people with disabilities.  Some were mentally retarded, some had syndromes, some had severe delays, you name it.  They do understand when people use the word 'retarded" and it does hurt them.  When I hear people use that word (out of proper context) I make sure to say something about it, even though the person may get mad.
    image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • image MarynJoe:
    ala_1220: I 100% agree with you.  I worked with people with disabilities.  Some were mentally retarded, some had syndromes, some had severe delays, you name it.  They do understand when people use the word 'retarded" and it does hurt them.  When I hear people use that word (out of proper context) I make sure to say something about it, even though the person may get mad.

My kiddos that I teach know not to EVER make fun of a person with disabilities.  I have an Aunt that has Down's and it pisses me off to no end when people use the word retarded.

• I think the one thing to keep in mind about this movie is that the whole point of the use of the word is to show what complete idiots the characters using it are.

There was controversy about some of the viral marketing -- namely the Simple Jack trailer they put up -- and I completely agree with it. It was inappropriate.

But -- to me -- the film itself is not that way. If you take the scene quoted in some of the articles out of context, then yes, it is bad. In the context of the film, with the delivery of it and by that character, it is clear what's actually being said. The role they're talking about is portrayed in the movie time and again as offensive

The satire is pretty brutal.  But it's a satire of Hollywood and actors, not of the mentally handicapped.

I thought this review was pretty spot on:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Perspective/234574

imageimage

• My niece is a high functioning 8 year old with Down Syndrome.  She is now in the 2nd grade at a normal school.  So, according to this movie she is not, "full retard?"   This is the reason I will not see it.  It is very personal for me.  I just don't want to see a movie that in any way pokes fun of anyone with a disability.

I also work in pediatric intensive care where we take care of children with all types of disabilities.  I feel for the children and their parents who every minute of every day have to think about their disability and take care of them...and they love them very much.

I understand what the movie is trying to do, but, I hope you understand too where I am coming from. 

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

1st pregnancy: BFP- 6/28/09 - Found out we lost our little girl on 10/9/09 at 19w 4d - D&E- 10/14/09

June 2010, corrective surgery for Septate Uterus and large fibroids

2nd pregnancy: BFP- 10/18/10 - Slow rising, non-doubling HCGs, no heart beat. Non-viable pregnancy, D&C- 11/12/10

Started Metformin 6/30/11, Started Clomid 7/20/11 - Unsuccessful

HSG and Laparoscopic surgery revealed blocked tubes and lots of scar tissue...IVF here we come!!!

Surprise BFP naturally!!! IT'S A BOY!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers