June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Stupid car question

I was running errands after work, got in the car after just being in it and smelled very pungent gasoline. I'm pretty certain I didn't have any on my clothes or body from pumping gas (three days ago) that would have gotten on the interior. Should I be concerned and take it to my dealer to inspect it? 
image image
Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12

Re: Stupid car question

• I hate cars.

See what it smells like tomorrow when you get in it.  Then maybe call if it still stinks.  Maybe you stepped in a puddle that had some residual gas in it as you were walking to your car??  Or maybe another vehicle stunk and drove by yours, thus causing yours to smell?

I am definitely not a mechanic and have very bad car karma so I probably shouldn't even be responding to this post for fear that I will somehow spill my bad car karma dust on you!

Case in point - DH has been driving car #1 all week.  I decide to take that one to work this morning so he could have car #2 (car #2 is way better).  I get in car #1 and it wouldn't start.  Yup, that is just one instance in the last couple of months where I have looked at the car wrong and it decided to be awful.

Sorry for the really long reply.  Good luck!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Are you sure it wasn't a smell coming through the vents, i.e. nearby car or business?  Every once in a while I will smell it because of that. 

Are there any leaks?  If so, where are the leaks located under the car and do they smell like gas? 

Have you had any other issues while driving?

• I drove from work to Walmart and nothing. Then I got in the car after leaving Walmart which is when I noticed it. It lingered in the car for about 30 minutes until I went home. 

Not sure of any leaks, but I'll check tomorrow morning.

No other issues. The car is brand new. :(  

image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • As a Target emp., I could make 1000 comments about this all being related to the Walmart parking lot.  Big Smile 

But in all seriousness, if you don't have any leaks I would chalk it up to someone nearby needing car repairs and the smell carrying over.  If it was something major, your check engine light would have come on.  The light is to warn you that you are getting less than maximum fuel efficiency.  I'd be surprised if you found a leak without seeing this light or dramatic changes in your gas tank levels.

• I would guess you either stepped in gas or that it was nearby and came through your vents unless you notice a leak tomorrow or your fuel level drops faster than normal.  I wouldnt be too concerned unless the smell is there again tomorrow.  If it is then I would have it checked out.
  • barb - yikes, I hope your car juju gets better!

lucky - LOL. Yeah, I'm sure it has something to do with where I was. But if you've ever read my blog you know I'm a very loyal Target customer. :)

Thanks, all. I'm really hoping nothing's wrong with it. There was nothing else wrong and no check engine light.  

image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • I am going to freak out. It still reeks completely of gasoline. I thought I noticed some tiny oil specks on the driver floor mat, but I smelled inside the trunk and the odor is there too. I drove DH's car (which, OMG my skin is crawling from how filthy it is) today so he could take my car to the dealer. My dealer has no availability today. I don't know what to do. I'm seriously concerned the effing car is going to blow up.

Update: I can take it to the Toyota dealer across the street to get a safety check at 11, but if there's something wrong or a part they need, I have to wait for the Honda dealer to get me in. FML!

image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • Sending good car vibes your way!  Since it's a new car, is it still under warrenty?

• Thanks. I'll take any and all car vibez! It is under warranty, and if they need to do work on it or keep it, I hope I get a loaner car. Is that pretty standard?
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • I think it depends on the location where it's getting fixed.

I had purchased my car in 07' from Carsense (not many of them around), but it's a place that sells used cars.  When I purchased it there was some paint issues (like a minor scratch), and they had told me they were going to take care of it.  Well, they didn't.  So they gave me a rental car (ha..it like an 88 honda...that was fun!). 

But I think someplaces have shuttles as well.