Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone hear Galv/Braz Co. Gustav Evacuation?

I feel like I'm being very laissez faire about this storm.  The fact that Madeline and I have a stomach flu contributes significantly - I just don't WANT to get in the mode of evacuating.

But I don't want to be foolish.  My brother in FL said his local news stations indicated people in Houston are evacuating.  I haven't seen/heard any of that.  I have heard I-10 is congested, but assumed that was LA/Beaumont/Port Arthur evacuating traffic.

Am I an ostrich about this?  I'm thinking we may get flooding, but based on current projects, we will face weather conditions comparable to a tropical storm or depression.

What about you ladies?

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
- Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011

Re: Anyone hear Galv/Braz Co. Gustav Evacuation?

• I have not seen any signs of Houston evacuations. People are all coming here. According to the papers Orange & Jefferson counties have done some evacuations. The news your brother saw probably said "Houston" because that's the closest city to the people who are evacuating. If they said Beaumont, people would probably have on idea where that was.
  • Thanks... that is what I was kind of thinking.  But then my neighbor came by in a kind of panic yesterday as well saying I-10 was jam-packed... again I was thinking it was packed with people passing through, but didn't want to be foolish.  I started thinking this morning, "Am I watching/listening to the wrong news source, because we have supplies for power outtages and plywood for windows if need be, but we aren't planning on going anywhere."

And my FIL left a message for us asking if we were going there to evacuate...

Ok... staying tuned. :)

• From The Chronicle/Sci Guy

10 a.m. UPDATE: The newest official track is unchanged, remaining to the east of the computer model projections.

Houston remains within the cone of uncertainty, but only just. The Texas coast between Galveston and the Texas/Louisiana border is under a tropical storm watch. I expect Houston to fall outside this cone by this afternoon's forecast.

• Thanks!

This is consistent with everything I've been watching.