Trouble in Paradise
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

To OMG Guinea Pigs!!

You really might want to think before you write- your coment about Sarah Palin not wanting to be around mentally handicapped people was a pretty ignorant not to mention cruel and sick comment. If she did not want to be around a Down's syndrome child - she would have had an abortion. She chose to love and accept this child and give him life.Regardless of how you feel about the woman's politics what you said was just wrong on every level. I knew that some not very nice things were going to be said about this woman, her choices and her child I just did not think it was going to be so soon.I do believe that karma exists and you get back what you put out ten fold either positively or negatively. Spewing hateful comments about a mother (  I don't care if she is a Republican,Democrat or Ralph Nader's wife)  who has a child with Down's syndrom is pretty low. As someone who may have more children in the future I look at special needs kids and their parents and think it could happen to me or my family and I just send out good thoughts to them . You might want to reconsider that comment and think about how many families you offended.

Re: To OMG Guinea Pigs!!

• Wow! You need to get a life, calm down, and take a freakin joke. She wasn't seriously saying anything bad about kids with down syndrome or their mothers.
  • If you would not say it to someone's face you shouldn't write it. Making fun of mother's who have children with Down's syndrom is not a "freakin joke". When you live with it every day and know that you will be living with it every day for the rest of your life- never will your child get married,or live on their own- then tell me to get a life. I am the guardian/aunt of a child who will never live independently and it infuriates me to see comments like this - so yeah I am sensitive to it- try walking a mile in someone' else's shoes before you judge or joke.

• If you're the guardian of a diabled child, then you should realize that people joke about these things, and you should probably get a thicker skin.  I really don't think she meant to be mean or offend anyone who is mentally challenged....your dumbass is another story....Also, how do you know she wouldn't say to someone's face?! YOU DON'T KNOW HER! (haha, I got to use "you don't know" I'm kind of excited)  

• I have known several functioning down's syndrom kids that have been able to all the things you have said they can't. If you act like and teach them tat they can't do something then they won't. Down's syndrom is not a joke and I truelly don't believe any one here really thinks it is.
  • If you're the guardian of a diabled child, then you should realize that people joke about these things, and you should probably get a thicker skin. 

Are you friggin kidding me? That is the stupidest comment ive heard today!

So when people make fun of blacks its ok because people do it all the time and should just toughen up? How about fat people? how about women?

• Mags---I didn't mean it in a offensive way, and i'm sorry if I offended....what I meant was there are certain comments (like the one that OMGGP's made) that can seem hurtful, but haven't really crossed the line.

Do I think its funny when people make fun of women?  Yes! But i do think it can cross a line...and in this situation I don't think OMGGP's crossed a line and I DO think the OP needs a thicker skin.

• image sugarmag13:

If you're the guardian of a diabled child, then you should realize that people joke about these things, and you should probably get a thicker skin. 

Are you friggin kidding me? That is the stupidest comment ive heard today!

So when people make fun of blacks its ok because people do it all the time and should just toughen up? How about fat people? how about women?

I just read that comment and my mouth dropped. It is amazing to me how people who make fun of obese people are horrible, but those of you who make fun of mentally disabled find it to be okay. It really is sick and stupid.

My cousin has downs syndrom and he is THE most lovable guy I have EVER met in my lifetime. Before you make jokes about him and others maybe spending some time with people like them will make you not be so ignorant.

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Krissy--please see my reply above, like I said, I wasn't trying to offend...what I was trying to say is that she hasn't crossed a line here. I too have family (a cousin) that is mentally disabled, he is fantastic, but when I read OMGGP's comment, I never felt the need to get defensive, like the OP did. I'm a Jewish girl in a Mormon neighborhood, I've had my share of jokes at my expense, so maybe my rope is a lot longer than others. All I'm trying to say is that its silly the OP decided to come after OMGGP's for a pretty harmless comment, and again, I was not trying to hurt anyone with my response, I think my fingers go faster than my brain sometimes =)
  • i didnt even read omg's comment and dont even know where it is...i was just responding to yours...it totally shocked me...and even if you didnt mean to offend go back and read what you said and please tell me you are not serious!

• Mags--of course my reply was not 100% serious, as I am never 100% serious when addressing total strangers online =) OMGGP's comment is in the thread about McCain's VP and she said something like "Sara gave birth to a child with downs syndrome and went back to work three days later" To which OMGGP's responded "she must not like to be around mentally challenged people ;)"   

I took the smiley to mean that she wasn't serious.

• I think that since she added a winking smile afterwards, it was meant in a light tone and even could be taken for sarcasm.

I think you're over-reacting here. Nobody here is cruel to disabled, obese, black or whatever else you might be/know.

And I know that OMG GP most definitely did not make her statement with the intentions of offending anyone. She was more likely trying to lighten up the mood of the conversation as political debates can get pretty nasty.
  • I read OMGGP's comment as political satire, as in, "next thing you know, some critic is going to use this information to say that this woman doesn't like to be around people who are disabled."

• image kikig:

You really might want to think before you write- your coment about Sarah Palin not wanting to be around mentally handicapped people was a pretty ignorant not to mention cruel and sick comment. If she did not want to be around a Down's syndrome child - she would have had an abortion. She chose to love and accept this child and give him life.Regardless of how you feel about the woman's politics what you said was just wrong on every level. I knew that some not very nice things were going to be said about this woman, her choices and her child I just did not think it was going to be so soon.I do believe that karma exists and you get back what you put out ten fold either positively or negatively. Spewing hateful comments about a mother (  I don't care if she is a Republican,Democrat or Ralph Nader's wife)  who has a child with Down's syndrom is pretty low. As someone who may have more children in the future I look at special needs kids and their parents and think it could happen to me or my family and I just send out good thoughts to them . You might want to reconsider that comment and think about how many families you offended.

If you take this nest business this seriously, then I respectfully suggest that the nest is not for you. 

Wow.

In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • LOL.  People were applauding her for going back to work 3 days after having the baby - I was just adding another perspective as to what might be going on.
  • Kikig I found your comment about what people with Downs can't do much more offensive then what OMG GP said. The worst thing people with developemental disabilities suffer from is lowered expectations. Limiting some one's potiential is far worse then a joke.